PDA

View Full Version : Better FSX through software

dswo
February 1st, 2010, 03:28
None of these are new, I'm just happy. Three years ago this month, I built a computer using recommendations from this and other fora. Including later upgrades, it cost about $1,500. I'm sure you could build something better AND cheaper now. Here are my current specs, after several upgrades: Core2Quad Q6600 running at stock speed of 2.4 GHz, 4 gb RAM, Nvidia 8800GT (512 mb). Since building this three years ago I've been running FSX at around 20 fps with pretty high graphics settings. The biggest upgrade (in settings, not fps) was moving from a cheap Nvidia 7600GS to a (now) cheap 8800GT; and from a Core2Duo to a Core2Quad at the same clock speed (didn't improve framerates, but does help a LOT with blurry textures; great for photoscenery).

I've been saving for a new box, but that's still a ways off. I'm cautious with money, and I'm waiting for reasonable prices on chips that I don't have to OC. (Not ruling that out, but see "cautious" above.) Meanwhile, starting a couple months ago, I've seen some big improvements through software:

1. Upgrading from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7 (64 bit). Finally, my rig is taking fully advantage of the RAM I bought two years ago. Right away I noticed smoother turns in the sim.

2. Upgrading the OS also unlocked something I tried earlier but ended up not using because it would kill my antialiasing (AA). This is the Russian light bloom plugin that we discussed here, http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=27170, and in the threads linked there. On my 32-bit XP, I could see the effect but after awhile I seemed to run out of memory; the sim wouldn't crash but the lines would get jaggy until I restarted the sim. I thought about buying a video card with more RAM. Turns out, though, I got the same effect by upgrading the OS.

3. FPS_Limiter. This is something I've just recently been playing with. Result so far: whereas I use to lock frames at 20 fps, I'm now locking at 30 for most types of flight. Twenty is fine, but thirty is noticeably more fluid. Maybe it won't last, maybe I'll discover that it's not stable or image quality suffers. Meanwhile I'm having fun: see http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=270347 and http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=245251 for how to set it up.

These are, and aren't, freebies. Upgrading to Windows 7 costs money, even if you don't change any hardware. (I bought a new hard disk so that I could dual boot with my XP setup.) It's also a big investment in time. The other two are free but, again, there's an investment in time. (One way to save some time with the Russian light bloom: use Koorby's configuration, which you can find in the above links).

#4 would, and might someday be, DX10. I couldn't use it before, because I was running XP. I did try it once, just after upgrading to W7, but I was put off by poor antialiasing. Maybe I'll get over that, or maybe someone will find a solution.

vora
February 1st, 2010, 04:18
After changing fom XP 32 to W7 64 I got a big boost in FPS by using unlimited frames lock and DX10. You should give this a try.

stansdds
February 1st, 2010, 04:55
Overclocking the CPU might give you the biggest frame rate boost for the least amount of money. 2.4GHz is pretty slow for FSX and it is CPU speed that determines just how much information can be sent to the video card. My system would only maintain 24 fps, but overclocking from the stock 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz allows me to run 28 to 30 fps. I did not overclock the RAM as DDR2-800 seems to be adequate. I do get slow downs in heavily populated areas, but then again I do like my eye candy.

scoutII
February 1st, 2010, 05:37
I had(still have) the same rig as yours, but for CFS3 now, before my crazy FSX rig, I did notice a big improvement all around when I OC'ed it to 3.0 and up and it still ran (same fan airflow) at decent temps - Chris

kilo delta
February 1st, 2010, 06:33
Overclocking the CPU might give you the biggest frame rate boost for the least amount of money. 2.4GHz is pretty slow for FSX and it is CPU speed that determines just how much information can be sent to the video card. My system would only maintain 24 fps, but overclocking from the stock 3.0 GHz to 3.6 GHz allows me to run 28 to 30 fps. I did not overclock the RAM as DDR2-800 seems to be adequate. I do get slow downs in heavily populated areas, but then again I do like my eye candy.

+1

There's plenty of overclocking headroom in that Q6600. Get a decent aftermarket cooler (if you don't already have one) and start to overclock in small increments up to 3ghz......3.4ghz is possible with the right cpu stepping,motherboard and memory.

Dimus
February 1st, 2010, 07:29
I have a very similar rig with yours. My only difference is the card, which is a 9600GT512. I now have Vista 32 but thinking seriously about 7 64.

I am using both the FPS limiter (@27fps) and the bloom dll. As others have suggested, the best tweak I ever did was OCing the 6600 to 3.0GHZ. It was quite simple and I even kept stock cooler. I added an exhaust fan which helped the temps. My temps are within Intel limits and FSX runs quite well, even at heavily wooded areas with autogen at very dense.

I would recommend you investigate the OC until you start thinking about upgrading.

deimos256
February 1st, 2010, 07:51
I just wiped my pc clean and put in win7 pro 64bit. As far as fsx goes I'm getting better performance. As far as frames go I'm still playing with the sliders but I can now unlock the framerate without stutters. My only big issue is I get a lot of short pauses while turning and panning. I'm guessing this is caused by only having 2 gig of memory. I'm considering bumping it up to 6 when I get paid this weekend. As for dx10, I have a 8800gts 512 and have preview on, but haven't turned it off to see the difference.

limjack
February 1st, 2010, 07:59
dswo, i have got almost the same system as you except I have the 8800gtx.

Upgraded from Vista 32 to Windows7 64 (no fps gain, but quicker launch and loading times)
Installed the fps limiter and that really helped in smoothness of flight (still some stutters).
Have not tried the Russian light bloom, may have to give that a shot.
DX10 still a no go, same as you.

I am happy with my system and get 20-30 fps around Seattle on a clear day with no clouds with scenery bar all the way right,autogen off, traffic at 50% and airport vehicle traffic off.
Now, when the Greed sets in I want weather set at MAX and Vehicle traffic turned on (airport traffic) my system stutters and begins struggle. This is when I think as you have about overclocking the system. I dd get the OC guide from Mason (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=13003) and I am reading up on it. Just seems like the next step and the cheapest to get that extra boost that might help me enjoy some of the cool addons out there and turn up some settings. Seems like I am always right on the edge of running FSX the way it is supposed to run....lol.

Jim

EgoR64
February 1st, 2010, 08:28
Good Stuff -

I have a Quick Question - I'm running Win 7, My Perfomance Ratrng is a 5.9 - this only because my Harddrive performance is low ballin it -

Processor - 7.5
Memory - 7.5
Graphics - 7.5
Gaming Graphics - 7.5
Primary Harddrive - 5.9 - this is a 7200 rpm HD

-------------------------------------

Is there any improvement on a 10,000 RPM harddrive purchase for FSX -

Also what are some people scores with these ?

Thx - Cheers -

Hanimichal
February 1st, 2010, 08:50
SSD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

EgoR64
February 1st, 2010, 09:00
:wavey:

Interesting - Totally out my league for the cost though -

Would be nice ->

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167024

Cheers ! :ernae:

rwmarth
February 1st, 2010, 09:58
SSD using Sata II isnt really worth it. Give it another year or so till Sata III is mainstream and far cheaper.... Better off with a high speed mechanical drive if youre looking just for FSX performance.

kilo delta
February 1st, 2010, 13:24
SSD using Sata II isnt really worth it. Give it another year or so till Sata III is mainstream and far cheaper.... Better off with a high speed mechanical drive if youre looking just for FSX performance.

If The HDD is purely for running FSX then I agree with this statement. :) I've one of my SSD drives dedicated to holding my FSX photoscenery and have definitely noticed an increase in texture loading and overall more fluid visuals.

Bjoern
February 1st, 2010, 14:54
2. Upgrading the OS also unlocked something I tried earlier but ended up not using because it would kill my antialiasing (AA). This is the Russian light bloom plugin that we discussed here, http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=27170, and in the threads linked there. On my 32-bit XP, I could see the effect but after awhile I seemed to run out of memory; the sim wouldn't crash but the lines would get jaggy until I restarted the sim. I thought about buying a video card with more RAM. Turns out, though, I got the same effect by upgrading the OS.

Ha! Very good!

Had the same problem on XP and wondered if this would ever get fixed.

But for me, the video card wasn't an issue (GTX275).

rvn817j
February 2nd, 2010, 04:05
Good Stuff -

I have a Quick Question - I'm running Win 7, My Perfomance Ratrng is a 5.9 - this only because my Harddrive performance is low ballin it -

Processor - 7.5
Memory - 7.5
Graphics - 7.5
Gaming Graphics - 7.5
Primary Harddrive - 5.9 - this is a 7200 rpm HD

-------------------------------------

Is there any improvement on a 10,000 RPM harddrive purchase for FSX -

Also what are some people scores with these ?

Thx - Cheers -

I was hunting around on some sites recently about this exact issue. I did not find anyone that said they got anymore than 5.9 for either a 7,200 or 10,000 rpm HD. Many people run velociraptors and do not get better experience rating. I also saw that many folks were considering 7,200 rpm HD's with 32 megs of memory as, perhaps, being faster than velociraptors. My recent experience has indicated that you want a fast 4 core processor (native fast or overclocked), a reasonably good graphics card (e.g., ATI 4890), 4 gigs RAM and Win7. After all that, the HD won't matter too much. BTW, I acquired an SSD solely for FSX. The SSD I acquired was from Newegg under the brand name 'Dane Electric'. The core of the SSD was Intel X18 (so less expensive), but Dane supplied an enclosure and other stuff to ease the set-up of the SSD. The real good thing was that I got an 80 gig SSD with Acronis formatting / transfer software from Newegg for just under $200 (a 'Shell Shocker' deal). SSD's aren't all $500 (otherwise I wouldn't have one)! Regards

dharris
February 2nd, 2010, 05:54
I have to disagree about the veloraptor not helping. When I put fsx on one of these the load times were improved and the scenery refresh was much better. If you read this...http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 from Nick Needham's post it will tell you alot. I followed most of what he suggested and did not get the best results, but when I went back in and did every step that was delineated the results were outstanding. I use the russian bloom with Nhancer and Nicks settings and see great results. I no longer overclock my processor or video card. I also am using the frames limiter hack and it has helped to hold the sim very smooth. Pc stats....
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, Intel Core2Duo 333 MHZ E8600 Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
4 GB G-Skill F2-8500CL5 5-5-5-15, EVGA GTX 260
Mushkin 580 watt quad rail power supply, RaidMax Smilodon case with 3 fans
WD Veloraptor drive 150gb for FSX alone. 2 Seagate 160gb and one 320gb drive
WinXP Pro Sp3
Win XP 64 I am using win xp pro sp3 and also win xp 64 but for the most part sticking with 32 bit for now. Good lucik

deimos256
February 2nd, 2010, 06:20
I see most people are running 4gb of ram. Is this really all that's needed? I'm getting 4gig in a few days and was wondering if I should add it to my existing 2gb or just run the 4. I figure with w7 x64 it could only help.

DX-FMJ
February 2nd, 2010, 09:26
My Perfomance Ratrng is a 5.9 - this only because my Harddrive performance is low ballin it -

My 300 gig 10,000 rpm raptor gives the same rating, Win 7 x64 :mixedsmi:

Lewis-A2A
February 2nd, 2010, 09:42
More ram for you Deimos should see better load times, and 'maybe' less blurrys in game due to more textures in memory.

nly testing will tell though :engel016:

deimos256
February 2nd, 2010, 10:22
I think the blurries were due to me flying at 400 kts right above the ground. I normally don't have an issue with them. I'm just looking for fewer pauses while flying which I'm guessing is caused by a ram bottleneck as win7 is prob using a decent chunk of my 2gig