PDA

View Full Version : I'm lost. Specmap, bumpmap in fsrepaint

OleBoy
January 31st, 2010, 15:02
I was a little bored last night and figured I would look at the files in an FSX aircraft via DXTBMP. I'll admit it right now. I'm so lost it's embarrasing. spec_map...bump_map, errrr ok?

Then I decided to install FSX just to have a look at repaints in FSrepaint. When I loaded the textures all I saw was a garbled up mess that looked something like a jigsaw puzzle that fell apart.

Compared to FS2004 paint techniques, FSX just threw me that fastest curve ball I've ever seen. I realize there are the different spec & bump mappings (which I have no clues how to create) but I never thought for a second that FSX models were so difficult to paint.

OleBoy
February 1st, 2010, 13:08
Being as FSrepaint can't view the textures, what can ..for previewing I mean?

Matt Wynn
February 2nd, 2010, 02:45
if you're on about bumps and specs in FSX textures, only FSX itself can preview them...

Tako_Kichi
February 2nd, 2010, 04:08
if you're on about bumps and specs in FSX textures, only FSX itself can preview them...
Not strictly true Smoothie. ;)

If you get DDSView you can open up and examine ANY DDS file including the spec and bump maps. I use it all the time to quickly look at DDS files and have DDSView set as the default program to open DDS files so I just have to double click on the file to see what it looks like. It will even let you look at the alpha channel contained within a DDS file.

Get it here....

http://www.amnoid.de/ddsview/

Admittedly only FSX (that I know of at the moment) will show the spec and bump maps in use on the model.

Matt Wynn
February 2nd, 2010, 06:06
Not strictly true Smoothie. ;)

If you get DDSView you can open up and examine ANY DDS file including the spec and bump maps. I use it all the time to quickly look at DDS files and have DDSView set as the default program to open DDS files so I just have to double click on the file to see what it looks like. It will even let you look at the alpha channel contained within a DDS file.

Get it here....

http://www.amnoid.de/ddsview/

Admittedly only FSX (that I know of at the moment) will show the spec and bump maps in use on the model.

that's what i meant for previewing on the model and not just as a texture sheet. excuse my lack of depth there minds in too many places at once at the moment :kilroy: