PDA

View Full Version : New vertigo studios plane readies itself

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 09:13
and man is it a good one. No, i had nothing to do with it, but i did get a chance to take her out of the barn for a while.. It was a short trip. The plane will come back and bite ya hard if you dont fly her right.. I have to admit, i was impressed. very very imoressed. I dont have many shots cuz frankly, the weather generator in rex is telling me it's foggy and snowing outside my door ( odd, it looks like sunshine to me.. hmmm ) But what i did get is not too shabby.. hope you all enjoy them..
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-1-31_9-38-3-562.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-1-31_9-39-7-774.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-1-31_9-40-17-993.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-1-31_9-42-10-764.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-1-31_9-43-18-753.jpg

wiltzei
January 31st, 2010, 09:38
Wow.

Cleartheprop
January 31st, 2010, 09:59
Is it an engine on fire in the last shot ?
This airplane looks terrific! :ernae:

Quicksand
January 31st, 2010, 10:15
Outstanding... Been anticipating this one for some time... Looks like another winner to me!:medals::jump::icon_lol::guinness::icon29:

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 10:17
yup.. its an engine fire.. the genius of a pilot forgot to throttle back after takeoff

Cleartheprop
January 31st, 2010, 11:28
Great! That's what I expect from a payware airplane ! :applause:

JAMIE
January 31st, 2010, 14:19
Looking like a Winner

Mithrin
January 31st, 2010, 14:22
Really looking forward to this one!

Helldiver
January 31st, 2010, 14:36
Just another SBD. Why? It only lasted the first two years of the war. Got shot down everywhere it went. It couldn't fold its wings. Had no fire power, could't carry a decent share of bombs and couldn't keep up wiith the fighters.
It was replaced by the SB2C, everything the obsolete SBD couldn't do.

gajit
January 31st, 2010, 15:17
So you dont like the SBD then? :icon_lol: :salute:

PRB
January 31st, 2010, 15:18
I would love to see a nicely done SB2C in FSX. But to answer your question, I suppose it comes down to four words:

Coral Sea
Midway
Eastern Solomons
Santa Cruz

:salute:

Ok, seven words. Four battles...

To all SBD and SB2C crews: :medals: :guinness:

Rezabrya
January 31st, 2010, 15:29
Regardless of how the plane actually did in the war, this rendition of it looks amazing and I can't wait to fly it!

Bjoern
January 31st, 2010, 16:03
Just another SBD. Why?

Because it looks better than the SB2C? ;)

Ken Stallings
January 31st, 2010, 16:06
Wow, Helldiver, I realize you were a gunner on the Curtis SB2C during the war, but the Douglas SBD was a war-winning aircraft in the Pacific Theater, my friend. It sank four Japanese carriers at Midway when every other aircraft we threw at them got wiped out!

Let's give the Douglas design its just credit, sir!

Ken

deathfromafar
January 31st, 2010, 16:10
Great looking model! Planned purchase for sure.

WillKGTF
January 31st, 2010, 17:14
SBD looks great. I'm looking forward to it.

I'd also like to see a good SB2C for FSX. It's really an interesting aircraft that took part in battle of the Philippine Sea, Leyte, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and I believe the sinking of the battleship Yamato.

It's a controversial plane, but I think everyone can agree that its crews were top notch.

Ken Stallings
January 31st, 2010, 17:37
SBD looks great. I'm looking forward to it.

I'd also like to see a good SB2C for FSX. It's really an interesting aircraft that took part in battle of the Philippine Sea, Leyte, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and I believe the sinking of the battleship Yamato.

It's a controversial plane, but I think everyone can agree that its crews were top notch.

Controversial to a degree. It had some teething problems, but these were worked out fairly quickly. However, it replaced a legendary aircraft that earned great love from its crews. As happens many times, when pilots are forced to transition from a beloved airplane to a new mount, they tend to grumble. The SB2C was considerably more powerful and fast than the SBD. Nothing comes free in aviation, and often more power means the aircraft needs to be handled more carefully to avoid accident.

You are correct that the SB2C played a key role in the sinking of the Yamato. Along with TBF Avengers the Yamato was sunk by several attacks by dive bombers and torpedo bombers. SB2C's were also part of the team that sank the Yamato's sister battleship Musashi.

The SB2C did enjoy a lower loss rate. No doubt some of that was due to higher speed. However, to be fair the SBD faced an IJNAF laden with a far larger number of highly skilled pilots. One thing the Japanese never figured out was how to produce quality pilots in quantity needed to replace combat losses. In fact, the IJNAF never really recovered from Midway, and the Battle of the Philippine Sea (Marianas Turkey Shoot) destroyed the IJNAF for the rest of the war.

From July 1944 onward, the SB2C's primary danger was the flak thrown up by Japanese ships and ground units. It was most certainly deadly, but at least these crews did not have to face the additional threat of hundreds of highly skilled Japanese fighter pilots with considerable combat experience.

Ken

VFR Reviews
January 31st, 2010, 18:10
Very very nice. Did you edit these at all, Pam? I hope so, cause I'm too busy to take on more reviews, but with an exterior like that :monkies:

Cheers :ernae:

SolarEagle
January 31st, 2010, 19:29
Stunning. :salute:

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 20:17
Very very nice. Did you edit these at all, Pam? I hope so, cause I'm too busy to take on more reviews, but with an exterior like that :monkies:

Cheers :ernae:
i pulled them into photoshop 7 and applied auto color, levels and contrast, then resized them downward from 1920x1080.. those were the only edits i made and only to brighten the image up so it wasnt too dark.
:;chuckles:: afraid Deano has a winner here, your gonna have one more bird to review :D..

peter12213
February 1st, 2010, 04:23
I'm on standby for this right now!

warchild
February 1st, 2010, 06:00
i realized after i posted this that adjusting brightness and contrast could be seen as retouching, and i'm very sorry for that. Let me offer these pics instead. i've done nothing more than size them down to 1024 wide. And yes, that is ford island n the background. Made me really sad, and angry for the things that had happened there.. but thats another topic, on a different forum. Enjoy.
Pam

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-2-1_6-22-19-564.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-2-1_6-32-51-510.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-2-1_6-33-28-196.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-2-1_6-38-15-350.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-2-1_6-39-43-34.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k171/urushira/2010-2-1_6-42-23-558.jpg

Quicksand
February 1st, 2010, 06:24
There goes another keyboard... drool, drool....:ernae::jump::applause:

Pips
February 1st, 2010, 12:52
Beautiful aircraft. I'll have to dig out Barrett Tillman's excellent novel "Dauntless" to tide me over until the release! :jump:

VFR Reviews
February 1st, 2010, 18:23
Wow... that is really, really extraordinary modelling. That's some of the best weathering I've seen :monkies:

spotlope
February 1st, 2010, 18:30
Hey, careful Pam! In pic #5 you're dive-bombing Lanikai Beach. That's my favorite stretch of sand on Oahu. Unless of course you're sending down a few crates of Corona, in which case bombs away!

warchild
February 1st, 2010, 20:25
dummy bombs on a practice run. like the pilot ::lol:;.. I hadnt bothered to read the manual, so the bomb release mechanism was totally foreign to me.. naturally, I augered in looking for levers..

SolarEagle
February 1st, 2010, 21:24
Seems like good artwork makes or breaks a model, and this might be best I've seen in FSX.

stiz
February 1st, 2010, 23:03
quit teasing allready! :monkies: :icon_lol:

DX-FMJ
February 2nd, 2010, 00:44
I really and very excited about this release, can hardly wait.

Is there a rough guesstimate besides "soon" on when we will see this, one week, 2 weeks? this weekend? :kilroy:

Deano
February 2nd, 2010, 01:00
The team is currently applying the final beta fixes, once the beta is released which should be today we will then test it out for a couple of days and then if alls fine she will be released.

Matt Wynn
February 2nd, 2010, 01:08
great news that Deano :ernae:

Pam in the first batch of images looks like you're flying out of that retreat i built you for your test flying, nothing says tricky test flight quite like having to clear a hill on take off :icon_lol: and i hope you remembered to remind your ground staff that my P-40Contra there needs a polish :icon_lol: oh and don't forget to tell them to put it back in the HAS too :icon_lol: great shots and a great plane :salute::medals:

warchild
February 2nd, 2010, 06:19
i did forget to mention one small detail bout all the shots.. They were all taken while using dx9. well, the dx9 component to dx11 that is.. still.. when dx10 gets turned on, it pretty much takes it to a whole new level..
Oh and smoothy.. no worries about that contra prop.. we take very good care of her :)..

warchild
February 2nd, 2010, 06:21
quit teasing allready! :monkies: :icon_lol:

But... Im a girl.. its what i do best.. :)

Henry
February 2nd, 2010, 06:25
But... Im a girl.. its what i do best.. :)
LOL
well its working :icon_lol:
H

Matt Wynn
February 2nd, 2010, 06:46
Oh and smoothy.. no worries about that contra prop.. we take very good care of her :)..

good good, i'll run the Sake and other beverages in by this evening...

H... and others down...... sit...... stay...... :icon_lol:

c87
February 2nd, 2010, 10:18
Deano, the model looks superb as does the texturing. I've been anxiously awaiting this one and you can count on a sale with me.

I couldn't model my way out of a wet paper bag but I did have one question. From the posted pics so far it looks to me like the canopy is almost "too clear". In other words, I don't see much light reflection off of it which for me, really adds to the beauty and realism of an external model.

Will there be more of a 'glass look' for lack of a better term or are the posted pics how it will look on final?

Either way, I'm still a go with it. Looks to be a great addition to the hangar.

Deano
February 2nd, 2010, 11:50
Hi, the cockpit glass has now been altered and shows some glimpses of shine.

Deano, the model looks superb as does the texturing. I've been anxiously awaiting this one and you can count on a sale with me.

I couldn't model my way out of a wet paper bag but I did have one question. From the posted pics so far it looks to me like the canopy is almost "too clear". In other words, I don't see much light reflection off of it which for me, really adds to the beauty and realism of an external model.

Will there be more of a 'glass look' for lack of a better term or are the posted pics how it will look on final?

Either way, I'm still a go with it. Looks to be a great addition to the hangar.

c87
February 2nd, 2010, 14:53
Sounds great Deano! Thanks.:applause: