PDA

View Full Version : PMDG releases their 748i/F series expansion

strykerpsg
January 30th, 2010, 20:10
All,

PMDG has released their first of many expansions for this year, the new 747-800i and 800F variant.

http://precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/748.html

Matt

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 04:14
It looks nice, but the first question i had when i opened the page was: "How many other things of theirs do you have to buy just so this one works?" That one specific practice of theirs really puts me off from doin any business with them at all.. To get the one plane you want, you have to buy other planes from them you may never want to fly at all, and THEY complain about people being pirates. maybe they should look in a mirror when they say that.

IanP
January 31st, 2010, 04:43
Sorry, Pam, but it's an an add-on to the B747-400 pack. You need... the B747-400 pack. I don't see what's so difficult about that. Yes, they could sell the B747-400 at $50 or whatever, then bundle the sounds, VC and panel into this and charge another $50 for this, or they can sell the B747-400, then this as an add-on to that if you want it.

Hardly "theft", "piracy" or anything else.

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 04:53
Sorry, Pam, but it's an an add-on to the B747-400 pack. You need... the B747-400 pack. I don't see what's so difficult about that. Yes, they could sell the B747-400 at $50 or whatever, then bundle the sounds, VC and panel into this and charge another $50 for this, or they can sell the B747-400, then this as an add-on to that if you want it.

Yeah, but Ian. it would be a complete plane for 50 dollars and you wouldnt have to buy a second plane you dont want. the difference between most addons and this one is that this is a completely new model. Had they done what you suggested, you would pay 50 dollars and haver a very nice plane, but this way, you spend 75 dollars and have an extra plane you'll never use. In my book, thats unethical and underhanded.

IanP
January 31st, 2010, 05:46
But someone who wanted both would pay $100, not $75.

It's swings and roundabouts. What you want is not what others want. However a B747-400 will sell massively more than a -800. How many -800s are in service compared to -400s? Which is the more recognisable and well known?

Plus they do state, very clearly indeed (indeed in red and bold) that the -400 base pack is needed. Not exactly underhanded. They're not hiding anything, are they?

Yes, an option to buy either independently would be nice, but a lot more complex and costly for the developer. I can see their point as well and they're not pretending it's anything but what it is. Unethical? I disagree, but can see how others would see it differently. Underhanded? I disagree completely - they've made their position perfectly clear.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this, but then I have the -400 and have no real desire to get the 800 at all because it means nothing to me.

strykerpsg
January 31st, 2010, 05:53

I agree with Ian here, you're strctly paying for an upgrade, if it's something you don't want,then don't buy it. It wouldn't be much different than Iris's PC9 vs T-6, externally and internally very similar, arguably able to be sold in one package, but sold seperately. This would be another case of if it's not something you desire then you need not purchase it.

Matt

EgoR64
January 31st, 2010, 05:58
:applause: Sweet - Thx for the HU -

Realistic Wing Flex makes me happy - :icon29:

Cheers -

Kiwikat
January 31st, 2010, 06:00
If you want it all for 50 (55) bucks, go to Best Buy and get the boxed 747X, then download the expansion pack. :kilroy:

If you don't live in the US, well then you're going to pay the full price... :mixedsmi:

Considering it is expanding on a package that is three years old, I don't see anything wrong with it. It isn't like they are releasing an UNFINISHED product like some other developers have been lately. Though I suppose that could be argued because it doesn't have a unique flight model.

IanP
January 31st, 2010, 06:23
Not necessarily. I got it cheap from an online store as the Aerosoft box set too - although I paid more than $25 for it because this country is expensive like that. ;)

RyanJames170
January 31st, 2010, 06:26
If you want it all for 50 (55) bucks, go to Best Buy and get the boxed 747X, then download the expansion pack. :kilroy:

If you don't live in the US, well then you're going to pay the full price... :mixedsmi:

Considering it is expanding on a package that is three years old, I don't see anything wrong with it. It isn't like they are releasing an UNFINISHED product like some other developers have been lately. Though I suppose that could be argued because it doesn't have a unique flight model.

true on the flight model but you never know maybe the -800 flys so much like the -400 that it makes no sence to make a new one.. or there is not enough data out to make one.. who knows though.. but its better then having no VC or something not working at all

Kiwikat
January 31st, 2010, 06:43
true on the flight model but you never know maybe the -800 flys so much like the -400 that it makes no sence to make a new one.. or there is not enough data out to make one.. who knows though.. but its better then having no VC or something not working at all

Sorry, a new plane with a different shape, different wing, and new engines will not fly the same as the -400. There IS enough data for them to do it as they are working alongside Boeing for many of their projects now. They didn't make a flight model for it because this was just a quick project to do while waiting for other team members to finish their parts on the 737 NGX. However they did say they may revisit it in the future and "finish" the rest of the plane, giving it a realistic flight model and making the few cockpit changes.

icycle
January 31st, 2010, 08:22
Sorry, a new plane with a different shape, different wing, and new engines will not fly the same as the -400. There IS enough data for them to do it as they are working alongside Boeing for many of their projects now. They didn't make a flight model for it because this was just a quick project to do while waiting for other team members to finish their parts on the 737 NGX. However they did say they may revisit it in the future and "finish" the rest of the plane, giving it a realistic flight model and making the few cockpit changes.

Of course we/they don't really know how it flies because the real thing is still sitting on the apron outside the paintshop in Everett. In "theory" they have engineered the thing to fly a lot like its older sibling, but they really can't confirm until its in the air. As we all know, "numbers" on paper/silicon don't always translate as we would want them into real life, let alone MS FS.

Anyhow, releasing a FS plane, before the real thing flies is always a "crap shoot". I do get a kick out of the 787's and A350's out there in FS. As my CEO used to say: "Nice guess!" :applause:

The PMDG -800i product is nice, for what it is: A visual and aural enhancement to an already solid existing product. Each can take it, or leave it, depending upon their preference.

Bill

Cag40Navy
January 31st, 2010, 08:35
it looks like fun to fly! even if it isnt very realistic :jump:

Ferry_vO
January 31st, 2010, 08:43
it looks like fun to fly! even if it isnt very realistic :jump:

??

The first one (A freighter) is almost ready for it's first flight, and Boeing recently delivered the last -400.

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 09:04
it's still 75 dollars if you want to fly the 800 real or not, and gee, your right. you get a whole nuther airplane to take up space on your comouter.. isnt that nice??
sorry. sarcasm intended but no disrespect to any one here..

CodyValkyrie
January 31st, 2010, 11:01
The way I see it, their products are premium, and they do not make it a habit to sell in blocks. They rarely disappoint. The original product is quite old, and they are trying to breath some new life in it. Likely, their 747 is their best seller to date.

I'm likely to not get it, but I don't see much of a problem.

WillKGTF
January 31st, 2010, 13:36
I don't have any problem with it either.

I think if there is a market for this kind of release, then that means enough people want to buy it and the company will make money. If they don't make any money, then there obviously is not a viable market for the particular product.

It seems to me to be the same with the external model of the CS B-52. If people won't buy it, they probably won't continue with similar kinds of releases.

If these companies are making a profit, more power to them. I think that merely means they are meeting the desires of the market.

But what do I know....I live in a van down by the river.

ronvking
January 31st, 2010, 14:25
As I see it the expansion is only a visual model and only that. PMDG states

"This product is not intended to simulate the difference in flight characteristics between the 747-400 and the 747-8."

So as far as i'm concerned I will not buy it.

BOOM
January 31st, 2010, 15:42
Wow!! Pam,I'm very surprised and very disappointed by your comments about another developer"unethical and underhanded"?????REALLY???? No one is forcing anyone to buy this addon.But I'll venture to say those that do will be facinated by the amount of work and code that went into the original 747-400 original product,It's by far the best "Sim" aircraft that so closely mimics it's reallife counterpart.Also who say's that it's the end of the line after purchase?PMDG have and do support their products well after release,they may very well update the new model with new code and flight data.

I'm sorry Pam but this is really bad form on your part,and I buy and use Iris products and am very happy with them,so this isn't a bash on Iris.

HighGround22
January 31st, 2010, 16:00
Looks sharp -- and appearance is a great deal of what we look for in our planes. Nice new animations, on top of the nifty ones already there in the dash four. And nice new sounds to boot.

And already having the excellent base model, I went and ordered it. Shazam! Good deal, from where I sit.

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 20:47
Wow!! Pam,I'm very surprised and very disappointed by your comments about another developer"unethical and underhanded"?????REALLY???? No one is forcing anyone to buy this addon.But I'll venture to say those that do will be facinated by the amount of work and code that went into the original 747-400 original product,It's by far the best "Sim" aircraft that so closely mimics it's reallife counterpart.Also who say's that it's the end of the line after purchase?PMDG have and do support their products well after release,they may very well update the new model with new code and flight data.

I'm sorry Pam but this is really bad form on your part,and I buy and use Iris products and am very happy with them,so this isn't a bash on Iris.

Not taking it as a bash on iris. Besides, i dont speak for them, only myself. And as my statements may or may not be seen as bad form, the one thing you can always be certain of, is they are my opinions. I speak my mind, and i'm up front and honest about it. That doesnt always win me friends, but i always sleep with a clear concience. I am sorry my opinions have disappointed you. truly i am.. But my opinions remain just that, and i give no apologies for them. At least, you will always know, exactly where i stand. Thats as good as any i figure and better than some.
always, and sincerely
Pam

BOOM
February 1st, 2010, 03:19
Hey Pam,fair enough.I've always respected and enjoyed your input and helpfulness here@SOH.You like I are certainly entitled to voice your opinion.
Cheers!