PDA

View Full Version : Question about Storm of War

CWOJackson
January 30th, 2010, 12:22
From what I can see, Storm of War was first announced in 2003. Since then I've occasionally seen teaser shots of nicely detailed vehicles and such, even a short video inside a cockpit but nothing definitive what the final product will actually be.

Recently there was a thread regarding the copy protection it will have once it finally is released. Some of the comments on there indicate that it's going to be online play only.

This leads me to ask the question, is this going to be a console game, a PC game or both?

I can't imagine 1C could make money on a game seven years in the development and for PC online players only.

Can anyone shed any light on this...thanks.

c87
January 30th, 2010, 13:06
From what I've been able to gather (and I don't follow it that closely) it's Oleg's next iteration of his combat flight sim effort which started with IL2.

I'm not sure Storm of War was actually announced way back in 2003; it seemed to me to be a few years ago, but not 7 years.

To my knowledge it will be both offline and online. It's been vaporware for a long time but he keeps posting development shots and you yourself eluded to the recent cockpit video that was just released.

I"m definitely interested but it's been so long in coming that I've just been following it casually, and if and when it appears, then it's icing on the cake for me. I'm not holding my breath.

As for another video, they just released a short clip of the pilot animation, a pilot bailing out of a Spitfire. Given what I've seen of the animation, the recent cockpit vid and the development screenshots, if the game is actually produced, it looks to be a step up in the eye-candy realm.

The pilot animation video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPEbzwWk90I

CWOJackson
January 30th, 2010, 14:41
Given the pictures and animations I've seen (for some years now) it looks like it's going to be decent, but for the life of me I can't understand how they expect to make money on a PC release (even with standalone) nevertheless recover their development costs.

GBrutus
January 30th, 2010, 15:00
1C have other games and projects to bring the money in. SoW probably won't make much money but I don't think Oleg Maddox ever expected to make a fortune out of it. There has been talk of the SoW engine being used in other games and the fact that ground objects and humans are going to be so detailed is quite telling. I personally have no doubt at all that SoW is going to be amazing as Oleg has already set the standard with the IL-2 series.

DennyA
January 30th, 2010, 15:44
Yep, Oleg set a standard, of lifeless, boring missions, sterile combat environments, and AI that's not as good as games from the late 1990s.

IL-2's a fun multiplayer sim, but I sure wish someone else was doing an up-to-date WW2 sim, because in single-player it's totally inadequate as a simulation of WW2 air combat. (Read any pilot memoir recounting an exciting dogfight or ground attack run. Then compare it to the best IL-2 mission.)

But it has the right number of rivets, so the Ubisoft forum guys are satisified.

GBrutus
January 30th, 2010, 16:42
Well I've only really played IL-2 online unless it's just for a bit of practice in the QMB. Playing offline feels like a waste of time in most games as human opponents are far more challenging anyway.

What's wrong with having the correct number of rivets?

JorisVandenBerghe
January 31st, 2010, 06:27
I can't testify on this one myself since I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.2, but it does look good:

http://www.airwargame.com/eng

I really regret being on a Mac when watching that website :icon_lol:.