PDA

View Full Version : Converting files from bmp to DDS

LCBORDEN
January 29th, 2010, 02:31
Hey gang, a new dilema has reared its ugly head. It seems in order to port over some of my old fav. aircraft to my new computer (windows 7) I will need to convert the texture files from BMP. to DDS... the problem arises as I am unfamiliar in doing this. Would one of you excellent painters share your knowledge on what tools I need to do this type of thing.

Thanks in advance

Ol' Jarhead :wavey:

stansdds
January 29th, 2010, 03:43
DXTBmp works just fine for converting bitmaps to DDS. I have found that most FS9 port over paints work fine in FSX. There is a slight frame rate improvement in using DDS textures in FSX. I think the procedure is to open the bmp texture, flip the texture vertically, then save as DDS. Be sure to do the same with the alpha channel texture as well.

jankees
January 29th, 2010, 04:02
if you open the texture bmp in DXTbmp, you can flip both the image AND the alpha in one go, by using the 'flip vertically' button below the main image.
Save as DXT5 dds and you're done.

DaveQ
January 29th, 2010, 04:07
...also make sure you don't save mipmaps with them when using DXTbmp. Here is a batch conversion tool that uses Imagetool to convert .bmp files to.dds. Using this you can convert all the .bmp files in a texture folder to .dds in one go (be careful that all the files require conversion...!). Can't remember the source or original author but many thanks to whoever put this little tool out there for us.

DaveQ

LCBORDEN
January 29th, 2010, 06:24
Hey Dave thanks a great deal for the dds tool I'm sure I may be able to get something done with it. It's just that in windows 7 the bmp textures don't load and all you have is a white aircraft. I'll see how this goes....the bad news is I'll be back.....

Ol'Jahead :wavey:

LCBORDEN
January 29th, 2010, 06:37
Now all I need is some directions on how to convert the files. If anyone can direct me to the tutorial for conversion I would appreciate it.

Ol'Jarhead:wavey:

PutPut
January 29th, 2010, 07:14
I use DXTbmp for many things in my design work. However, for straight conversions from .bmp to .dds and back I use Imagetool which comes with the SDK's. You don't have to flip anything with that tool.

Paul

LCBORDEN
January 29th, 2010, 09:28
Thanks for your input. How about someone taking me by the hand and telling me what tools I need and where to download them. and perhaps since I'm old marine a simple tutorial to help me learn how to do this. I don't want my textures looking like my first wife...afterall....:jump:

ol'jarhead :wavey: