PDA

View Full Version : SoH forums slow

ryanbatc
January 28th, 2010, 15:33
Is it just me or is the SoH forums slow at loading lately? I'm not saying it isn't my connection (it's 20 mbps down) but within the past week either I get an error on a page (like server too busy etc) or it takes a longer time than normal to load the forums.

Anyone else?

Oh yeah, using FF 3.57 + Vista x64

Deano
January 28th, 2010, 15:37
it has its glitches a few times the F5 key comes into play to kick the forum into gear.

Chacha
January 28th, 2010, 15:47
We need a Big Time Upgrade....

http://sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=342702#post342702

Over the past 10 years I have always kept us running, now the time has come to go to the next teer
Downloads have went from 1 MB to now up to 1 GB and our server is having problems keeping up.

You all have noticed the slowdowns. I have my hands full keeping the site running.

I made us a deal on a new web server which will take us into the future.
I plan on moving all the uploads/downloads to the new server to free up resources, this will also be a windows server so now we can finally have a game server with FSHost'ing and maybe TeamSpeak. Most big websites have 2 servers running so we will join them. I made a deal on a new web server.

Intel quad core 2.5 GHz
1 terabyte Hard drive
4 gigs of ram
2000 GB bandwidth
100 MB network (hole to the internet)
8 IP's 5 usable
Idrac card
Windows 2008

This will cost us another $3000 per year We will run the bandwidth drive until March 01, 2010

I see no options to give, as we in the staff forum talked about this all day.
We could, which I have done already to keep the server loads down is to cut downloads from 100 at a time to just 15 and the number of downloads to 3 per IP
Cut the sized of downloads to 50 MB.
I do not like this ideal.
We could invite advertising, but this is against all we have fought for, and I for 1 hate pop-ups and flashing banners most want to be at the top of the page, than the problem getting paid.

This weekend Canelo and myself are going to install a new version of vBulletin 4.1 which just came out and this will fix all the errors.

Next I will be setting up the new server, moving all the download file
note the site may be unavailable since this is labor intensive. John C will be assisting.

Next Mopar Mike will be installing the software and working out the bugs for the game server.

I only hope you all approve and dig a little deeper and get the other members to join in and become a charter member, we need your support to carry on into the next decade.

Thank you
Ickie

UPDATE!! Jan 23, 2010
P/S ... The new server will be delayed until next month, so I can get us a better deal.

ryanbatc
January 28th, 2010, 17:06
Interesting. About the pop up ads. They aren't necessarily bad if you have the correct popup blocker plugins. I use ad blocker for firefox and it does a good job.

N2056
January 28th, 2010, 17:17
But even if blocked they are still eating up real estate that could be used...:kilroy:

djscoo
January 28th, 2010, 17:27
Interesting. About the pop up ads. They aren't necessarily bad if you have the correct popup blocker plugins. I use ad blocker for firefox and it does a good job.
And if you use adblock, then it defeats the purpose of the ads anyway.

ryanbatc
January 28th, 2010, 18:04
Really? I thought if a site hosts them they get the revenue from hosting the ads? so you're saying if a user blocks ads the site doesn't get revenue?