PDA

View Full Version : Grushin MAI3...first repaint in progress

OBIO
January 28th, 2010, 13:24
I finally have the paint template for Bismarck13's Grushin MAI3 almost done...have a few small areas of detail work to finish off...maybe 10 minutes max. I have begun the first new paint job for this beast. Since the MAI3 never made it into production, what I am doing is taking paint schemes from other WW2 Russian aircraft and applyiing them to the Grushin. The first paint scheme is a winter paint scheme based on a model I found on line. Very striking color combination and pattern. Still have a way to go before this paint is completed, but I thought I'd give you a sneak peak. This paint template has been a real PITA to get right...thankfully I have ACM and was able to export wire frame maps of the texture sheets so I could see exactly the location, size and shape of the texture mapping.

These screen shots were taken in FS2004, with the textures in 888 32-bit format for maximum sharpness and clarity. The CFS2 textures will be in DXT3 format..so won't be as crisp.

OBIO

oldwheat
January 28th, 2010, 13:32
Hey Obio, what do I need to get my ACM functional? That wire frames application would save a lot of 'guess & by gosh'

OBIO
January 28th, 2010, 14:56
Have run into a bit of a snag...nothing major...just something that is going to take some time to sort out. The MAI3 has 18 cowl flaps...and each one is individually textured (I think)....but they are not textured in order. There are two strips for the cowl flaps..and I thought they were mapped top to bottom for left and right...nope.....they are randomly mapped...so I have to do a small bit of paint for each cowl flap....first using different colors so I can sort out which square goes to which cowl flap.

If it turns out that the cowl flaps can not be painted to match up with the overall pattern of the paint schemes...I might just paint them up in a rusty, oil encrusted metal look and be done with it...this is my option of last resort.

The paint is coming along nicely...have the rear wings done, the red stars on the wings on vert stabilizer areas. Just need to work out the cowl flaps and put a big honking Russian style number on the sides of the fuselage.

OBIO

tonybones2112
January 28th, 2010, 15:22
I'm working on a few other things at the moment, but I plan on seeing what this bird and the D0-335 do with each other in a dogfight.

Bonesky

OBIO
January 28th, 2010, 15:42
First skin is done...will be packed up and sent to Bismarck here in a bit. Looks pretty good I think. I did go with the rusty, oily metal look for the cowl flaps...proved to be the best way to handle them. Doesn't look to horrible.

If there is nothing on TV worth watching tonight, I might crank out another paint or two.

Tried posting a couple screen shots of the completed paint..got a data base error..so you will just have to wait for them to be uploaded.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
January 28th, 2010, 16:48
Several years ago, my son had an MS sim that had airplanes that looked like this one.

OBIO
January 28th, 2010, 17:00
I remember Crimson Skies...bought it, flew it a few times and gave it to a friend's kid who wanted a flight sim but whose old computer would not run much of anything.

Second skin for the MAI3 is in progress. First skin has been sent to Bismarck...in two formats: DXT3 for CFS2, and 32-bit 888 format for FS9.

OBIO

OBIO
January 29th, 2010, 22:10
Just finished up a third new skin for the Grushin....about to start a fourth...but just had to share a pic of this one....it is cool, in my opinion any how. Need to clean the 30 gallon fish tank tonight...so as 25 gallon of water siphons out of the tank and out the window...I will begin skin number 4.

OBIO