PDA

View Full Version : Old British UFO TV series.......

luckydog
January 27th, 2010, 21:55
Lionheart's UFO thread brought back some old memories (late 50's ?? ) of a British TV series I used to watch when we were stationed at Bentwaters / Woodbridge ( I was 8 or 9 ).

If I recall correctly, the "object" was discovered underground and thought to be an un-exploded bomb from WW2. It turned out to be a UFO. When they cut their way in.......really crazy things started to happen.

Anybody remember this series and its name ??

Thanks,

LD

cajj1
January 27th, 2010, 22:19
Quatermass and the Pit???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass_and_the_Pit

tonybones2112
January 27th, 2010, 22:27
Lionheart's UFO thread brought back some old memories (late 50's ?? ) of a British TV series I used to watch when we were stationed at Bentwaters / Woodbridge ( I was 8 or 9 ).

If I recall correctly, the "object" was discovered underground and thought to be an un-exploded bomb from WW2. It turned out to be a UFO. When they cut their way in.......really crazy things started to happen.

Thanks,

LD

Lucky, you may be thinking of the mid Sixties movie that was known in Britain as one of several Quarttermass movies, in the USA it was Known as FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH, starring Barbara Shelly, Andrew Kier as Quarttermass, and James Donald. While digging a subway connecting tunnel they find what they think to be an unexploded WW2 German bomb. They find a soaceship they determine is from Mars with dead insect creatures. It's a favorite of mine.

Bones

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 23:38
Thats the one! Scary movie, lolol.. I watched it as a kid and freaked out.

Frozen insect passengers whose ghosts were roaming about, freaking people out.

Cool ship.

Skirrrrry film...

luckydog
January 28th, 2010, 03:38
Lucky, you may be thinking of the mid Sixties movie that was known in Britain as one of several Quarttermass movies, in the USA it was Known as FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH, starring Barbara Shelly, Andrew Kier as Quarttermass, and James Donald. While digging a subway connecting tunnel they find what they think to be an unexploded WW2 German bomb. They find a soaceship they determine is from Mars with dead insect creatures. It's a favorite of mine.

Bones

That be the one !!!!
Wow...........You guys are GOOD !!
Thanks,
LD

hewman100
January 28th, 2010, 13:41
There was a recent remake done by the Beeb to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the original radio broadcast I think

luckydog
January 28th, 2010, 15:24
Checked out Amazon.com........
$ 124.00 for a new copy,
used ones are a little cheaper but.......................:isadizzy:

tonybones2112
January 28th, 2010, 16:18
Thats the one! Scary movie, lolol.. I watched it as a kid and freaked out.

Frozen insect passengers whose ghosts were roaming about, freaking people out.

Cool ship.

Skirrrrry film...

Here in the USA CBS Network used to have late night movies each weekday in the early 70s, FMYTE was a regular. I thought everything about the movie was great except for the plot and the ending. I liked the way the story unfolded on film, things seemed to fall apart at the end. The actors, acting, props I thought were first class and it's in my top 10 for sci fi.

Bones

Henry
January 28th, 2010, 16:36

Thanks,

LD
8 or 9 that would make me 6 or 7
and you had a telly:isadizzy:
well i guess anglia tv was working then
that was a great series
H

luckydog
January 28th, 2010, 18:04
8 or 9 that would make me 6 or 7
and you had a telly:isadizzy:
well i guess anglia tv was working then
that was a great series
H

Hey Henry !!

Just called my "Mum" ( her memory is better than mine ) and she remembers having a telly all 3 years we were over there....1956-59
Sculthorpe AFB/E. Dereham (not far from your mum), Sheperds Grove AFB (east of Thetford), and Bentwaters/Woodbridge AFBs.

Apparently, the BBC broadcast it LIVE ?!? December and January 58 & 59,
which is when I must have seen it.

If anybody's interested, I checked with Netflix and they've got it!!! YAHOO!

tonybones2112
January 28th, 2010, 18:34
$ 124.00 for a new copy,

There's one for $26.95 used, still too high. I buy nothing but used movies off Amazon, never had problem one. Check some of the "weird" DVD sales, they burn copies from reels and VHS, many are good quality.

Bones

arrowmaker
January 29th, 2010, 03:49
$ 124.00 for a new copy,

Well it is rare. Though not as rare as the Quatermass and the Pit/Quatermass 2 dvd, which I own. However if you can watch PAL discs, you are better off ordering these off Amazon UK, as the prices are much lower than Amazon US.

Quatermass And The Pit (1967)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quatermass-Pit-DVD-James-Donald/dp/B000HEVTKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264768432&sr=1-1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quatermass-Pit-DVD-James-Donald/dp/B000HEVTKY/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264768432&sr=1-1)

Quatermass Collection (includes original 50's broadcast)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quatermass-Collection-Experiment-Pit-DVD/dp/B000772838/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264768432&sr=1-2