PDA

View Full Version : Ford Pinto.....Ford's first flying car.

DPS
January 26th, 2010, 15:13
At least I think it was Ford's first flying car...although it had a few mods.

Here's how I got it airborne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJPY0fAd_mU&feature=channel

DPS.

Deano
January 26th, 2010, 15:46
haha nice

kilo delta
January 26th, 2010, 15:50
:d

Reminds me of the Top Gear episode when they killed The Stig! :icon_lol:

Wing Nut
January 26th, 2010, 15:54
I had a Greyhound bus that would fly in FS9. Didn't make any mods at all. Flew lilke crap but could turn and maintain altitude.

harleyman
January 26th, 2010, 16:21
EKKKKKK A flying Pinto....

That was great...Till splash down.....:applause::applause:

Bjoern
January 26th, 2010, 17:01
Wasn't the Pinto known for burning rather than flying? :kilroy: :icon_lol:

FlameOut
January 26th, 2010, 17:46
OMG, I drove one of those things for several years. 1972 model. It had the back right corner smashed in. Had a few "hot" dates in the ol' thing as well.

Wasn't the Pinto known for burning rather than flying?...

I remember the last day I had with that ol' P.O.S. It was a cold day down here in Dixie and I drove it over to local Woolco Store to get some oil, filter, carburator cleaner, etc; on returning home it began to sputter and hesitate..I let it know who was boss, I... $%&##@* ... it, floored the gas pedal and it belched blue smoke out the tailpipe. I pulled it over to the curb, raised the hood and fiddled around with it... couldn't get it to start up. I walked to a house on the corner of the block, knocked on the door. The old lady was fearful I guess and did not let me in to use her phone nor did she call a service truck for me. I went to the next house, and the man there told me to get the hell off his front porch. Well, the 3rd. house was more trusting and let me in to call for a towing service truck and I called my brother to come and give me a ride back home.
As I walked back to the P.O.S. Pinto I saw black smoke over the 1st. house's roof top... yep, it was fully engulfed in flames. I took off my coat to beat out the flames, which caught my coat on fire! Then about 1-2 minutes later a guy comes by in a pick up truck and he had a fire extinguisher with him. It of course was not enough to suppress the fire. As the fire got into the passenger compartment and the heat cracked the windshield a firetruck arrived and extinguised the fire.
Now there I was in Cold Old Dixie with no coat to keep warm, nor a good fire ! My brother got there about an hour later.

Now here's a few acronyms for FORD for all you young pups out there...

Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Roadside Dead
Parts Found On Rebiult Dodge
F#cker Only Runs Downhill

:173go1:

Shylock
January 26th, 2010, 17:51
Lol awesome video

FelixFFDS
January 26th, 2010, 18:53
O ye of little faith...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3914995036_1100abe1bd.jpg

Lionheart
January 26th, 2010, 19:09
My U-Boots in Operation Valkyrie were not supposed to fly. If you could peak them out at top speed, every once in a while, they did...

Bill

simkid22
January 26th, 2010, 19:10
I didn't know that a Pinto sounds exactly like the mustang in Bullitt? :icon_lol:

Piglet
January 26th, 2010, 19:35
I took my first driving test in a Pinto. Wasn't my car, but I actually liked that car...
First
On
Race
Day
Not that I could ever race anyone with it!

ericts
January 26th, 2010, 23:00
Not that I was ever a passenger in a Pinto which was doing 100 mph on bias ply tires listening to the Best of B.T.O. on an 8 Track at maximum distorted volume going the wrong way on Washington SR-14 (yes, if this had happened underage alcohol consumption would have been involved,) at 3 AM. If this had happened I would still be able to remember the boat-like rolling of the mis-inflated cheap tires, or sensing the proximity of that famous Pinto gas tank--if this had happened, I would have been in the back seat--or the heavy unbolted stereo speaker cabinets, which were apt to decapitate anybody who was unfortunate enough to be in the Pinto. I'm glad none of that ever happened. I would have been lucky to have survived! :-)

cheezyflier
January 27th, 2010, 05:21
i learned to drive in a pinto wagon. the one with the wood applique sides :icon_lol:

years later a buddy of mine wrecked the back half of his worked xr-7 with a 351 cleveland. just for kicks he put the motor in a pinto a neighbor had in the yard. when he finished it, he fired it up, stomped the gas, and bent the frame. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

****thinkin back, it may not have been the cleveland, mighta been a windsor. it's been a long looong time

X_eidos2
January 27th, 2010, 06:56
The video of the flying Pinto reminded me of this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jRV3j6qiY

dharris
January 27th, 2010, 07:45
This is the original flying Pinto flying before the crash.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzv4q5EEy1k

mfitch
January 27th, 2010, 13:21
Thanks for the fun videos everyone. This makes for a nice light moment in the middle of my workday.

Odie
January 27th, 2010, 14:39
I remember seeing a FOR SALE ad in the paper that read:

For Sale: One Ford Pinto with exploding gas tank and self-destructiong Firestone radial tires. Make Offer.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

FelixFFDS
January 27th, 2010, 15:39
I remember driving a brand new (rented) '72 Pinto on I-95 (northern Virginia), on the way to visit a cousin, and being passed by everyone - except that I actually passed another car - a Subaru 360!

Bjoern
January 28th, 2010, 03:35
[...]

Hahaha, awesome! :d

Also:
dT0J0rcJTLo

I remember driving a brand new (rented) '72 Pinto on I-95 (northern Virginia), on the way to visit a cousin, and being passed by everyone - except that I actually passed another car - a Subaru 360!

Oh I know that feeling too well.

Hessian "mountains", me in a 55hp Nissan Micra with a bicycle strapped to the rear and loaded with camping things slowly making my way to the top and getting passed by an effin' truck.

I ever wonder how it made it to 160 on a flat piece of autobahn with five people inside without falling apart...

DPS
January 28th, 2010, 07:59
I can see I'll need to add some fire ball effects to this model.

I just used some easily available sound files for the video, hence the muscle car noises. I don't think a V8 would have fitted under the Pinto's hood.

kilo delta
January 28th, 2010, 09:28
Hessian "mountains", me in a 55hp Nissan Micra with a bicycle strapped to the rear and loaded with camping things slowly making my way to the top and getting passed by an effin' truck.

BLISS!

Try ~40hp in a 1200cc VW Beetle,6 burly blokes,a bunch of camping equipment and enough booze to fill a swimming pool ....all enroute to a weekend music festival! I could have swapped the speedometer for a calendar!:isadizzy::icon_lol:

Bjoern
January 29th, 2010, 09:21
BLISS!

Try ~40hp in a 1200cc VW Beetle,6 burly blokes,a bunch of camping equipment and enough booze to fill a swimming pool ....all enroute to a weekend music festival! I could have swapped the speedometer for a calendar!:isadizzy::icon_lol:

How the heck do six people plus booze plus equipment fit into a 1303? :o