PDA

View Full Version : Antique timber box.

demorier
January 25th, 2010, 18:10
This box has come to me via a deceased estate. I intend to keep it after refinishing it and turn it into a shoe box (at least for the time being).
I think it is something like an old style foot locker ?
Trying to find out the specific type of timber ?

Snuffy
January 26th, 2010, 03:29
Cherry or mahogany, two of the more typical woods used in furniture during that time period ...

Great looking piece though! good find.

Moparmike
January 26th, 2010, 05:59
I'm not real positive...doesn't look like the mahogany we've usually got up here in the States, not with that figuring anyway.
Possibly a cherrywood. I'm thinking one of the Beech family might be a possibility too...I know there are some nicely tiger-striped and/or birds-eye beech varieties out there too.

Do you know if it is local Australian or if its an import? That might help narrow down the wood type.

Either way, From looking at the pictures it's almost too nice to refinish. A good cleaning yes, but a total refinish I wouldn't (that's just me though).
It doesn't look that bad and those few little dings and wear marks give it a nice "look at me...I've been around a few years. I'm not some of that cheap new IKEA garbage!" :d

As far as size wise, it looks like what we've got here in the States as a "quilt chest" or "comforter chest". About the right height to sit at the foot of your bed and hold that big thick quilt when it's not cold outside.

Nice find!

demorier
January 26th, 2010, 12:58
The closest guess I could come up with was one of the mahogany types of timber (but not sure). I didn't focus right in on the scratches on the top surface, they are not deep but kind of spoil the look of the thing. Wanted to find out the correct timber type for the right type of finish for the timber.

Snuffy
January 26th, 2010, 18:25
Nothing to allude to manufacturer?

demorier
January 26th, 2010, 20:48
No. No other markings at all S. The nails up through the bottom surface look old style and original.

Naismith
January 26th, 2010, 21:08
Sometimes fixing these things up can diminish their value, I would take it to an expert for evaluation first else you may be damaging a treasure.

demorier
January 26th, 2010, 21:44
I think you are right N. I have decided to cancel the re-finish job, and just use it.

lefty
January 26th, 2010, 23:48
Looks like a linen chest, called here a 'kist' but not usually made of such nice wood, normally pine.

(PS - Naismith, if the Lord Lyon King of Arms catches you using the Royal Standard, you will be clapped in irons and transported to rot in an Edinburgh dungeon, or worse.....:hatchet: :mixedsmi:)

GT182
January 29th, 2010, 12:20
By looking at your first photo, I'd call it wormwood. But it could also be some type of burled wood. Not sure if it mahogeny or not but antique dealers here would call it what I said.

Very nice piece D, and I have to agree with Naismith.... don't refinish it. It's value is best left as it is. Or, send it to me and I'll take very good care of it. ;)

demorier
February 23rd, 2010, 00:19
After looking at a lot of web pictures I think the timber type might be "Silky oak". The flaky pattern looks very similar.

demorier
February 23rd, 2010, 15:53
Seems to be a lot of blurry details about the silky oak timber grain, I'll try anoughter attachment.

sky pilot
June 21st, 2010, 11:24
Cherry or mahogany, two of the more typical woods used in furniture during that time period ...

Great looking piece though! good find.
it could be wormwood in the bigger parts too but red mahogany for the rest of it,
sky pilot:applause: