PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 185 Amphibian

Helldiver
January 25th, 2010, 13:44
Carenado's C185 will probably made into an amphibian. When they do it I hope that they will keep Mike Legasse's 185 that is a fixture at Plum Island Airport. It's just a beauiful and patriotic paint scheme. I can provide plenty of photos

spotlope
January 25th, 2010, 14:25
Ooh, I'll volunteer to paint that one. I've even got some shots of it around here somewhere, I think. ;)

gajit
January 25th, 2010, 14:43
That would be excellent :ernae:

scottmm73
January 25th, 2010, 14:53
Bill you been messing with the blank textures yet? Its gonna be a hard one to line up.

spotlope
January 25th, 2010, 15:29
It doesn't look too tough to line up. I had a look at the blanks, and they seem logical enough. That's the theory, anyway. In practice, we'll see...

Naki
January 25th, 2010, 15:46
Has that scheme been on it since 1976? Looking good if it has.

Helldiver
January 25th, 2010, 17:33
That's the original paint job. The owner Mike Legasse takes very good care of her and it sparkles. I can take any pictures you like Bill. The tail, the under wings, you name it you got it. I've taken pictiures for you before, if you remember. That is if you don't mind the shaky hand.

CL19O1
January 25th, 2010, 17:45
Is it at plum island for the winter?

Helldiver
January 25th, 2010, 19:49
It's there every day except for two weeks in the fall when he flies up to Moosehead Lake in Maine.

expat
January 26th, 2010, 01:18
It's there every day except for two weeks in the fall when he flies up to Moosehead Lake in Maine.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

.. where I had my first ride in a 185 floater!

Thanks Helldiver, that is a beautiful plane and paint scheme and no doubt will be one of the first out of the paint shop.

Helldiver
January 26th, 2010, 05:41
Providing thems that it is in charge of such things, and this thread still stands, I'm going over to Plum Island Airport after noon time and take some close up pictures of Legasse's Cessna 185. I'll publish them here.

PRB
January 26th, 2010, 05:54
Maine? Why go up there? There's nothing up there but mooses and endless wilderness! :d

That is a beautiful looking floater!

spotlope
January 26th, 2010, 06:26
I did some work on this scheme last night, assuming that the basic mapping of the amphibian fuselage will be the same as the wheeled version. Bob, when you take those pics today, can you try to get a few head-on shots of the reg numbers, the tail design, and zoom in on the "Skywagon 185" script just behind the rear window. Under the wings would be nice, but I'm assuming there are just a couple of stripes, which are fairly well visible already in the shot you posted. If you see any details that differ from side to side, grab those, too.

thanks!
Bill

NoNewMessages
January 26th, 2010, 07:31

OK, this may seem like an obvious question. Is the photo in the first link taken at Plum Island or is it from another location?

Helldiver
January 26th, 2010, 07:32
Bill, I will get the pictures you want.

spotlope
January 26th, 2010, 07:42
Judging by that hill in the background, I'm guessing elsewhere. You can stand on an apple crate at Plum Island and be the tallest landmark around. ;)

Helldiver
January 26th, 2010, 10:33
Wouldn't you just know it. The plane was there yesterday and they flew it out this morning for it's annual. Won't be back in a week.
The mountain in the background was taken at Moosehead Lake. No mountains around Plum Island airport.
I was going to stand in the back of Alex's 1 ton pickup to take the pictures.
Will try it next week.

NoNewMessages
January 26th, 2010, 10:47
Thanks for the info. I've been to 42 states, but not the 6 state region of New England.

I knew a young lady from Newburyport a "few" years back. She broke my heart, still to this day...

JimC1702
January 26th, 2010, 10:48
Timing is everything! :)

Jim

spotlope
January 26th, 2010, 12:11
No prob, Bob. It'll probably take Carenado a while yet to come up with the other variants anyway. In the meantime, I've got the wheelie version to paint. Oh yeah, and I think I'm supposed to be working on some other scenery thingies, but I can't recall what right now...

VCN-1
January 26th, 2010, 13:28
Does Carenado have a real layered paint kit with this release?

VCN-1

spotlope
January 26th, 2010, 17:55
Not that I've found. The paint I'm working on just uses their usual blank textures.

CL19O1
March 26th, 2010, 13:32
Wouldn't you just know it. The plane was there yesterday and they flew it out this morning for it's annual. Won't be back in a week.
The mountain in the background was taken at Moosehead Lake. No mountains around Plum Island airport.
I was going to stand in the back of Alex's 1 ton pickup to take the pictures.
Will try it next week.

I was looking at a beautiful 180 in Hampton this morning and brought up this very 185 and how I would like to drive down to plum island to see it. Later in the afternoon we had to stop into Eagle East at Lawrence Municipal Airport and there it was! Strange coincidence.

Sakai07
March 30th, 2010, 20:36
Maine? Why go up there? There's nothing up there but mooses and endless wilderness! :d

That is a beautiful looking floater!

LMAO, come on now, Maine ain't all that bad. Up around Moosehead and north of there is pretty desolate, but the midcoast region, and to a lesser extent, the downeast region have grown exponentially in the past ten years. And let us not forget that we also have Bath Iron Works, where two of the three new DD-1000 Zumwalt class destroyers will be built and a bunch of Arleigh Burkes, I sleep easier knowing that Bath built ships are holding the line.

As far as flying goes, in FSX or X-Plane you can get a pretty good feel for the area. I always fly out of the field I soloed at (Merry Meeting Field, 08B) in Bowdionham and it's a blast. The contoured runways in X-Plane are so accurate that the big hump midway down the runway in real life is there in the sim as well!

And yes, that is a fine looking floater!

spotlope
March 30th, 2010, 22:33
Back on the original topic of painting the Carenado 185 amphib...

Gents, I'm undone. I loaded up the progress I've made up 'til now on LeGasse's "76" paint scheme, just to see how it looks so far on the new amphib. Wouldn't you know it, they mirrored the *#&%R rudder. Why this happened, I have no idea, but it really borks this model for painting. The kicker is, there are spaces for both left and right sides of the rudder on the texture sheet itself; it's just that the right side isn't used.

Aaaaargh. I emailed Carenado about it on the off chance that they can correct it. If not, I'm afraid this particular paint job has hit the skids. Fortunately, I've already sunk like four hours into it. That time is just gone, baby, gone.

I'm gonna go have a beer now. Or three.