PDA

View Full Version : RealTrim for FSX

dswo
January 24th, 2010, 09:18
This utility, which sets trim to your current control position by pressing a button, is now available for FSX. See http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=239111&st=0 and http://code.google.com/p/fscode/wiki/RealTrim.

Thoe6969
January 24th, 2010, 09:23
Sounds good going to give it a try.Just the thing for my sometimes lazy flights.

cheezyflier
January 24th, 2010, 11:06
fsx has always had a similar feature.

just use the joystick to attain the attitude you want, and hit ctrl+T

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 11:31
Would this be considered 'Real Simulated Trim', or Simulated Real Trim, or High Realism Trim, or Simulated High Realism Trim?

Would you use a wheel adjuster beside your seat that is heated or cooled to the exact temp in the sim? If indeed the wheel, does it replicate the need for oil on control cables? or is it replicating a new plane with freshly oiled cable linkages?

If it is really cold out, like say 5C, and you go to adjust the trim, will it replicate 'stick'?

Just curious.. :d

SkippyBing
January 24th, 2010, 11:44
If it is really cold out, like say 5CErrr.. dude, that's not even chilly. You generally don't have to start using special lubricants until it's way below 0C.

just use the joystick to attain the attitude you want, and hit ctrl+T

Isn't that an autopilot command? If you're flying something without one, or just haven't got it engaged, this sounds a lot more lifelike than attaining an attitude and then trying to co-ordinate releasing stick pressure and altering the trim setting.

CrisGer
January 24th, 2010, 11:45
my flight instructor (for the sims who is a real plane driver for a US carrier) keeps saying Trim! Trim! Trim! maybe this will make her happy and my flying better :)

SkippyBing
January 24th, 2010, 11:49
my flight instructor (for the sims who is a real plane driver for a US carrier) keeps saying Trim! Trim! Trim!

I think that's part of the instructor training course! Every instructor I've flown with, civil and military, has said that even when I was trimmed! Of course you could train on the R-22, there is no trim...

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 12:28
SkippyBing,

I remember back when I first had Bill Lyons Stinson package. Reading his ReadMe manual on how to fly it was pretty cool. He was saying how you could use airspeed (the throttle) to actually control your trim. That was pretty cool. I have used that in flying ever since. I am sure he had talked with a real world Stinson pilot or read articles on them and incorporated the advice into his sim bird. Makes sense....

Bill

SkippyBing
January 24th, 2010, 12:52
Bill,

It will have an effect, there'll be a moment due to the difference in position between the centre of lift (or gravity I'm not 100% sure which) and the thrust line so as you alter the throttle there'll be a trimming effect. It'll be more pronounced in aircraft that have a larger vertical separation between the two so I'm guessing high wings like the Stinson will be more susceptible to it. Annoyingly I missed my chance at a flight in a Stinson Reliant back in July!

harleyman
January 25th, 2010, 00:55
Would this be considered 'Real Simulated Trim', or Simulated Real Trim, or High Realism Trim, or Simulated High Realism Trim?

Would you use a wheel adjuster beside your seat that is heated or cooled to the exact temp in the sim? If indeed the wheel, does it replicate the need for oil on control cables? or is it replicating a new plane with freshly oiled cable linkages?

If it is really cold out, like say 5C, and you go to adjust the trim, will it replicate 'stick'?

Just curious.. :d

Awww Bill...I see time wasted here that could get that jet in the air faster....LOL

Scratches head and wonders about that man some days...:eek::d

Lionheart
January 25th, 2010, 04:22
Awww Bill...I see time wasted here that could get that jet in the air faster....LOL

Scratches head and wonders about that man some days...:eek::d

lol... this is true...

fliger747
January 25th, 2010, 10:12
There are several ways in which aircraft controls are "trimmed". Some adjust a small external "trim tab" which applies an aerodynamic force and flies the elevator, ruddder or aileron to a new neutral position for the airspeed being maintained. Another applies a bungee force to the control stick to achieve a "zero stick force" for the desired trim. Yet another (such as on my super cub) uses a jack screw to adjust the angle of incidence of the horizontal stabilizer to achieve a desired longitudinal trim.

In a speed stable aircraft, desired trim will vary with airspeed.

Yes, trim.... learn how to do it.... T