PDA

View Full Version : Carenado Piper Archer II; Wow!

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 01:46
Hey all,

The other day, I picked up the Piper Archer II by Carenado.

Man......... What a nice model! Very well done. Especially the VC and panel. Textures are extremely photo real, interior is well done and highly realistic. These guys have done one awesome job on this bird. I highly recommend it. If flying a Piper Archer is like this, it is one sweet plane. Very gentle and balanced and easy to trim. Landing the girl is very easy. She gets a tad sensitive at low speeds, so you need to adjust your reactions on the yoke to be slower when you are nearing touch-down. She has the one side only tank selector system, (either left only or right only at a time), so you will find her trying to make turns if you do not keep flipping the fuel selector back and fourth. This is a reality with Mooney's and other planes as well. If that bothers you, you can edit the fuel locations on the aircraft config to zero point on the X axis (second of the three coordinates axis' points) and this will no longer effect your balance.

There is no auto-pilot. He didnt make the list during the build at the Piper Factory. I havent checked to see if it has AP in the config. If it does, you can use the hot keys for AP use if you want, but I am telling you, after you trim out, its not needed. I was sipping a cup of tea as I was flying along Arizona's skies, enjoying the plane. The interior is just awesome. I felt like I was in a real plane, but I have Track IR which really enhances your 'in the sim' feel.

There are several paint schemes in the package, including one white version. I'll have to get out the paint gun and see what I can come up with. :d However, the versions it has are pretty dang sweet.

The only thing I dont like, is the speed. She is a slow bird with a cruise around 110 to 120 knots. I guess I am used to faster planes, like about 140 knots cruise. But hey, this is realism and the real plane flies at 110 to 120 knots. This is a reality. I'll just make a little 'tune-up' and bring it up to speed. (Custom tunes... Gotta love FS).

If you are thinking of getting this plane, I think you will enjoy it...

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot3883-949x493.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot3872-948x490.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot3692-950x503.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot346-950x565.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot3682-940x562.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot3582-935x551.jpg

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/Scrshot365-931x549.jpg

Bill

Thunderbolt
January 24th, 2010, 02:33
Yes, she is an beautiful Aircaft from Carenado, but the FS9 FDE was terrible. I search for an merge with the Archer from Dreamfleet, I have it seen on FS Sim page. :kilroy:

Mr.Mugel
January 24th, 2010, 03:56
Got that one, too, won it at an Aerosoft contest. Had the controls of one twice in real life, she is nice to fly way more agile to the controls than the C172. Downside is the limited visibility from the rear seats... But cruising to the east frisian islands in an hour, taking a bit control during the flight, taking a stroll on the island, flying back again, arriving in early sunset, having a beer afterwards just makes my day!

The model hits the nail on the head, just feels like the real one!

Edit: I especially like the metallic blue paint!

chaders
January 24th, 2010, 04:12
Had the controls of one twice in real life, she is nice to fly way more agile to the controls than the C172.

Suprised you would say that. I find the roll rate of all the PA-28 family pedestrian compared to the 172's. Elevator forces are much higher too in the PA-28's making it essential to keep them trimmed. The main downside of the Elevator is the amount of back pressure needed during steep turns, soon as you get them past 30 degrees it's 'arnie' time to keep the nose up.

IanP
January 24th, 2010, 04:24
Suprised you would say that. I find the roll rate of all the PA-28 family pedestrian compared to the 172's. Elevator forces are much higher too in the PA-28's making it essential to keep them trimmed. The main downside of the Elevator is the amount of back pressure needed during steep turns, soon as you get them past 30 degrees it's 'arnie' time to keep the nose up.

I'd have to agree with Chaders here - I've flown a few Warriors and Archers over the years, between a whole horde and a half of Cessnas, and my experiences match those quoted above. I had much more of a physical workout flying the -181s than I did flying any Cessna other than the new Skyhawk SP, which needed almost constant trimming to keep it happy, but I was warned about that before I flew it for the first time.

Mr.Mugel
January 24th, 2010, 06:21
Yeah, that might be true, what I was thinking about is the way on the yoke required until the plane reacts, if I remember correctly (might not be the case as I was young and it is quite some years ago), the Cessna needed some movement before the plane reacted, while it happened in an instant with the Archer. Talking about the elevator axis. But as I said, it is some time ago...

By the way, just flown her from Plum Island to Richmond in a September evening, here are some screens:

cvearl
January 24th, 2010, 07:46
Hey all,

The other day, I picked up the Piper Archer II by Carenado.

Man......... What a nice model! Very well done. Especially the VC and panel. Textures are extremely photo real, interior is well done and highly realistic. These guys have done one awesome job on this bird. I highly recommend it. If flying a Piper Archer is like this, it is one sweet plane. Very gentle and balanced and easy to trim. Landing the girl is very easy. She gets a tad sensitive at low speeds, so you need to adjust your reactions on the yoke to be slower when you are nearing touch-down. She has the one side only tank selector system, (either left only or right only at a time), so you will find her trying to make turns if you do not keep flipping the fuel selector back and fourth. This is a reality with Mooney's and other planes as well. If that bothers you, you can edit the fuel locations on the aircraft config to zero point on the X axis (second of the three coordinates axis' points) and this will no longer effect your balance.

There is no auto-pilot. He didnt make the list during the build at the Piper Factory. I havent checked to see if it has AP in the config. If it does, you can use the hot keys for AP use if you want, but I am telling you, after you trim out, its not needed. I was sipping a cup of tea as I was flying along Arizona's skies, enjoying the plane. The interior is just awesome. I felt like I was in a real plane, but I have Track IR which really enhances your 'in the sim' feel.

There are several paint schemes in the package, including one white version. I'll have to get out the paint gun and see what I can come up with. :d However, the versions it has are pretty dang sweet.

The only thing I dont like, is the speed. She is a slow bird with a cruise around 110 to 120 knots. I guess I am used to faster planes, like about 140 knots cruise. But hey, this is realism and the real plane flies at 110 to 120 knots. This is a reality. I'll just make a little 'tune-up' and bring it up to speed. (Custom tunes... Gotta love FS).

**SNIP**

Bill

I enjoy that one too. :) It's a little faster than the C172 as well. Could be that I am overdriving it. :kilroy:

Pipers seem to be Carenado's best. In reference to cruising faster, I think you would also like flying the Piper IV PA28RT with the T-Tail. It is very simular but has the prop controlls and retractable landing gear so it qualifies as a complex bird. It cruises close to 140. Actually about 130 I think. Very sexy beast in and out just like the Archer II. And an autopilot. Both are fantastic. :)

What I dig about Carenado models is when they mount the GPS on the dash. And Like Lionheart just pointed out, I agree they have the best paint of all the aircraft makers. Very real looking. Used but clean.

Charles.

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 07:50
Great Screenshots Mugel!

They are neat planes. I see them fly over the house all the time. We live in traffic pattern for the eastern corridor into Deer Valley. I also watch the Aircraft section in Ebay.com to see how prices are going on used aircraft, and I have found quite a few older Pipers for really good prices there. Flying this in FS really fuels that dream of owning a plane.

They (Carenado) did a fine job on specular shine also. The aircraft is not to shiney, not to dull. Just right for a clean-ish white paint scheme.

Another thing I like on this is the sound package. The interior wasnt too loud, has some good wind noise, and somehow, has a sort of muffled sound element, like the plane has some sound proofing in it like a solid car.

Nice bird... I'll have to keep this in the front of my hanger. Im going to put some good miles on this thing...

Bill

Spikehughes
January 24th, 2010, 09:35
I enjoy flying the piper . One of the reasons is its stability in flight, and its non-agressive stall. As well, I really do prefer the lower wing. What I didn't like was the split fuel tanks and having to remember to switch them each 30 minutes...and the single access door on the co pilot/pax side.

BOOM
January 24th, 2010, 10:57
Fantastic review and screens guy's!
Cheers!!

TeaSea
January 24th, 2010, 14:02
I own an Archer II, and Carenado's version is pretty close....

No, you are not overdriving her cvearl....I see 125 Kts easy...just depends on how fast I want to consume fuel (2550 RPM is typical at 9 gal/hr).

In terms of speed I will leave a 172 behind...and a 182 will leave me behind. The difference is the Archer II is cheaper to maintain than either. I love flying the 182 and have many hours in one, but I just couldn't stomach the additional cost when it came to purchasing one.

The only thing I don't like about this airplane is what Spikehughes mentions...the single door, but that's a compromise in engineering which assists in keeping the maintenance costs down, so you get over it quick (the first time you get your bill for an annual). I also like the lower wing and wide stance on the gear....crosswind landings are far less dramatic than the 172 (I have many hours in both the 172 and 182).

Naki
January 24th, 2010, 14:12
I miss my Dreamfleet Archer 111...wish I could have it in FSX!

The Dreamfleet Archer 11 was the first add on I ever bought and the Carenado Archer 11 looks like a nice replacement for this in FSX but now that their 185 is out I think this will be my next Carenado purchase.

cvearl
January 24th, 2010, 15:12
I own an Archer II, and Carenado's version is pretty close....

No, you are not overdriving her cvearl....I see 125 Kts easy...just depends on how fast I want to consume fuel (2550 RPM is typical at 9 gal/hr).

In terms of speed I will leave a 172 behind...and a 182 will leave me behind. The difference is the Archer II is cheaper to maintain than either. I love flying the 182 and have many hours in one, but I just couldn't stomach the additional cost when it came to purchasing one.

The only thing I don't like about this airplane is what Spikehughes mentions...the single door, but that's a compromise in engineering which assists in keeping the maintenance costs down, so you get over it quick (the first time you get your bill for an annual). I also like the lower wing and wide stance on the gear....crosswind landings are far less dramatic than the 172 (I have many hours in both the 172 and 182).

Thanks! I value your RL opinion. I hope you feel the same about thier 182 as I own that too. ;)

Can I ask this then... In the Carenado Pipers (II and IV), I noticed an odd behavior when straightening out after a turn.

I can be flying straight and level. Turn without changing attitude/altitude. Then as I try to end the turn and bring the wings back to level, the plane will want to nose up and climb for about 5 - 10 seconds and I have to apply some forward pressure on the yoke or be in autopilot hold alt mode to stop it. It will settle down and I will be back to S&L.

Is this realistic in your experience?

C.

Piglet
January 24th, 2010, 15:17
the first time you get your bill for an annual

I find most Pipers easy to work on. Almost all of them have the good ol' Lycoming engines.
P.S. Where's the fabric strap to hold open the baggage door? And those gawd-awful white pants he's wearing?? Most of the guys flying out of my airport just wear jeans and t-shirt. Heck they look alot like slobs!

lifejogger
January 24th, 2010, 16:01
The Archer is one of my favorite GA planes, love to fly it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27790&stc=1&d=1264381234

Lionheart
January 24th, 2010, 17:54
The Archer is one of my favorite GA planes, love to fly it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27790&stc=1&d=1264381234

Ok, LifeJogger...

Where did you get that repaint???

:applause:

lifejogger
January 24th, 2010, 18:24
Ok, LifeJogger...

Where did you get that repaint???

:applause:

You can get hear at SOH, just go to the author library and search for lifejogger.

Javis
January 24th, 2010, 20:36
As good as it gets..

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/arch1.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/arch2.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/arch3.jpg

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/arch4.jpg

TeaSea
January 25th, 2010, 15:46
I can be flying straight and level. Turn without changing attitude/altitude. Then as I try to end the turn and bring the wings back to level, the plane will want to nose up and climb for about 5 - 10 seconds and I have to apply some forward pressure on the yoke or be in autopilot hold alt mode to stop it. It will settle down and I will be back to S&L.

Is this realistic in your experience?

C.

Hmmm...maybe a little bit. Watch the wind direction (turning up or downwind?) and use your rudder. You can fly this plane without rudder, but it does like it...and it has rudder trim. The sim is probably a little exaggerated in turn handling.

One thing that isn't exaggerated is the flaps. Mine are manual, and when I give them one click the nose pops right on up while the airspeed drops considerably. Easy to compensate once for once you get the hang of it in the real thing by putting some positive pressure on the yoke, but I have never gotten that straight in the sim.

I think the real thing is probably easier to fly. Overall this is a very easy plane to fly, and very forgiving, even when you don't deserve it.

Piglets right -- come to my airport, we all look like a bunch of slobs.

Also, I'm waiting for the fabric strap on my cargo door to dry rot away completely....I bet finding a replacement will be a pain.

Piglet
January 25th, 2010, 16:22
I bet finding a replacement will be a pain.

I bet you can find one, just will cost $300.00!:isadizzy: