PDA

View Full Version : A Chicago Tradition- Garrett's Popcorn.

Cloud9Gal
January 21st, 2010, 17:06
I just came back from a business trip to the Windy City. I really enjoyed my visit. While there, I also made sure to try the 3 "food staples": Hot Dog, Deep Dish Pizza AND............... this stuff, Garrett's Popcorn. I am now addicted! I absolutely LOVE the Chicago Mix.

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Food/eating-popcorn-04.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Food-Smileys.html)

Anyone else had a chance to taste this stuff?

http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/

RyanJames170
January 21st, 2010, 17:16
no i have not to my knowledge C9G but the last time i was there i was 9 lol and im 18 now so go figure

TARPSBird
January 21st, 2010, 20:32
C9G, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Chicago (my home turf) but I gotta tell you that deep-dish pizza is not really "Chicago style". Most Chicagoans would claim that the pie they get at their neighborhood pizzeria is Chicago style, whether it's deep-dish or thin-and-crispy or (usually) somewhere in between. I think Pizzeria Uno started that Chicago association with deep-dish pizza.
Not familiar with Garrett's Popcorn but there used to be a little shop called Morrow's Nut House on W. Madison St. in the Loop. I swear I could never walk by there without going in and at least buying some of their excellent popcorn balls or roasted nuts. The place smelled great, the longer you hung around the more nuts and candy you bought. :icon_lol:

Terry
January 22nd, 2010, 02:24
It's been a good many years but my favorite Chicago food was always Ron Santo's Italian roast beef subs.

cheezyflier
January 22nd, 2010, 07:15
i've never been to chicago, but if i ever do, i'll get me some pizza.

there was a pizza place back home in wilmington, they had the best "chicago style" pizza there. it was piled with so much stuff i bet with the crust and the toppings that pie was about3" tall. :icon_lol:

cool thing is, the building was wedge shaped.

brad kaste
January 22nd, 2010, 07:18
C9G, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Chicago (my home turf) but I gotta tell you that deep-dish pizza is not really "Chicago style". Most Chicagoans would claim that the pie they get at their neighborhood pizzeria is Chicago style, whether it's deep-dish or thin-and-crispy or (usually) somewhere in between. I think Pizzeria Uno started that Chicago association with deep-dish pizza.
Not familiar with Garrett's Popcorn but there used to be a little shop called Morrow's Nut House on W. Madison St. in the Loop. I swear I could never walk by there without going in and at least buying some of their excellent popcorn balls or roasted nuts. The place smelled great, the longer you hung around the more nuts and candy you bought. :icon_lol:

Tarps,....boy,...you sure hit the nail on the head about Morrow's Nut House. The wonderful aroma quaffing from the small store pulled one in like a magnet. Even though you paid a premium price for a small bag of buttered popcorn,...it was worth every penny.:pop4: And then some. The butter nearly dripped from the bag.
My dad would squirrel away his stash of Morrow Nuts in certain areas of the home basement,...thinking of course it was his secret. My brother and I were onto the small, paper sacks in no time. We were sure not to eat too many which of course would tip off dad.
Morrow's is still up and operating. But not in Chicago. You can find them in the New York City area, San Fransisco, and
Ottawa Canada.

Trans_23
January 22nd, 2010, 18:29
I have seen a Garretts store downtown ( I think on State St and Madison). First time I ever saw a line to get popcorn. I will have to check it out sometime.