PDA

View Full Version : PDA's and Apple iPod Touch

Lionheart
November 3rd, 2008, 08:07
Hey guys,

As some of you know, I am a tech freak. I dont know much about computers, but love to keep up with as much as I can.

I have been wanting to get a new PDA. I have had my Jornada 560 for years and its getting worn out. My eyes kept falling back on the Apple iPod Touch. I would go in and look at them in the stores, but never found one that was running. (Should have gone to an Apple store). Anyways, I did it... I picked up a iPod 16G Touch at Wallyworld and man, I am freaking impressed....

The software system or OS that it has is amazing. I can see now what MS was going after with vista. The eye candy is dazzling in the iPod. The animations are all throughout and make the thing incredibly awesome to interact with. Everything works on touches, no glitches (for me anyways) occur in mixups of commands. There is a single builtin keyboard touch system (screen based) that actually works really well, even with fingertips. (Fingers seem to be the only thing that mine accepts. A stylus didnt seem to do anything).

The base unit has a cool Notes program, weather, world time clock, timer, lap stopwatch, stocks, can check and ansere my emails, navigate the web like SOH, contacts list from a web based source, Google Earth, calculator, etc, etc, etc.... lololol... FREAKING Amazing!

The unit has WiFi, so that is how it can act like a laptop. If you are around a carrier that isnt locked, bing... You can check everything. I can only imagine with the iPhone is like, though I wouldnt want the phone bill and expense of the services... I mainly wanted a PDA that had notes and some other tools that I use for business.. I never dreamed it could do this much.

Also, at iTunes, which the entire system is built around, I can select and download just about everything, from Apps (applications/programs) to movies, music, and podcasts.. There is a ton of freebies. I downloaded several good games and tried them out. Very nice quality. There is even X-Plane for iPod, lol... $9.95. Not bad and awesome graphics as like in the actual sim.

I now have a gazillion photos on it, all my music collection, podcasts of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyers, Charles Stanley, Charles Capps, TD Jakes... I have downloaded YouTube clips from Last Exile (cool animae movie in 20+ episodes), weather and times for London, Munich, Phoenix...

One main thing that is just totally wild on this thing, for those of you that dont know, is that the entire screen is a control. You can flip your finger lightly accross the screen and the page flows past and comes to a stop as like a Rolodex that is freshly oiled on high performance bearings. You can use two fingers to cause the screen to zoom in and out. Double touching (and I mean 'lightly' touching) is the same as double clicking with a mouse.

Also, it changes the screen if you turn it sideways, so you can look at it in horizontal view/wide screen mode. (The clarity and resolution of the thing is also something to behold). It has a built in angle detector, so some driving games use the entire device as the steering wheel. (There are programs that also use the device as an inclenometer or level for like hanging pictures).

I am thinking my next step is a nice Apple... I am too totally impressed with this software. If this is how an Apple PDA is made, their computers must really be impressive....

Info on the device: Mine is the new thinner Generation 2 version iPod Touch with a 16 gig HD. The previous model was a bit thicker and had fewer software bits, from what I am learning. My timing must have been good. Amount paid, about $320.00 USD. Amount for the Jornada when it came out, new was $500.00 USD.

I give this my 5 stars award!

:ernae:

Bill

MudMarine
November 3rd, 2008, 08:23
I had a Mac years ago, in college, and I loved it! If FSX where able to play on Apple's OS I'd cross over! So many things so weigh in about......RAM, HD size, Video card etc, etc

PS I'm drooling over the new I-Phones......I want one!

PPS What's the first music you put on it Bill?

mike678
November 3rd, 2008, 09:50
Hi Bill,

I also got an iPod Touch a few weeks ago & love it.

Aviation enthusiasts should check out the following FREE apps:

PilotWiz - flight planning & E6B calculations
FltPlan - interface to FltPlan.com with airport info
AeroWeather - info by airport from the NWS - great if you use real weather in MSFS.

Now if I could only figure out how to keep the screen free of fingerprints :banghead:

Lionheart
November 3rd, 2008, 10:03
PPS What's the first music you put on it Bill?

Dont hold this against me. Erasure, lol. :d My brother had all my CD's in his room and it was late at night. I wanted to see how to install music. Also, I purchased some oldies (next) from iTunes ( 99 cents each); Seasons in the Sun, Night the Lights went out in Georgia, Alone Again Naturally, Wildfire, Brandy, Black and White, On and On, the Most Beautiful Girl, Indian Reservation, and Long Cool Woman. (I am a 70's nut. They did have a cool 70's compilation set of albums, 3 at $25.00 each. When I win the lottery, I am getting them!)

Hey Mike,

Figures, lol.. You are always a step ahead of me. I agree on the fingerprints, lolol...

I see there are no desk stands for them. I might have to make one for it.

Bill

simkid22
November 3rd, 2008, 10:47
If i remember correctly the only difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone (first gen not 3G) were the iPhone had a mic and a speaker and the iPod had more storage space. Cant remember if the iPod has a camera...

Lionheart
November 3rd, 2008, 12:27
If i remember correctly the only difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone (first gen not 3G) were the iPhone had a mic and a speaker and the iPod had more storage space. Cant remember if the iPod has a camera...

Roger that SimKid,

No camera, no mic. I wish it had a mic, so then someone could do IM conversations (like a phone).

Bill