PDA

View Full Version : New PBY-5

Jagdflieger
November 3rd, 2008, 07:26
Crashaz of the Virtual Navy has just uploaded a nice Consolodated PBY-5 patrol bomber. It's listed as a beta version, but it has a nice 2d panel and VC as well as textures for the early Midway period of WWII. It's already up and ready to download.

Get it here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12890

Thanks Crash!

hellcat44
November 3rd, 2008, 07:33
She's beautiful!

Warhawk1130
November 3rd, 2008, 07:45
Nice model....I am seeing smoke from the buildings in that shot...is that an updated effect? or just a building that comes with the effect?

Wulf190
November 3rd, 2008, 08:13
Thanks Crashaz! I look forward to future updates for this bird. This type has long been over due! It may be a 'beta' but I think its the best pure CFS2 PBY we have!:jump:

Now I do have one problem (and I have this issue with other planes I have too) the lower bottom part of the 2D panel is just a black square. Any way I can fix that?

bobhegf
November 3rd, 2008, 09:08
Does it have the wake effect added to it?:d

Captain Tenneal
November 3rd, 2008, 09:38
Sorry guys for miss leading you & sorry Crashaz I had to use your upload because I forgot mine :redf: Douglas has since sent me the reminder

Ok for the meat

I also included the fsc so you'll can play with it. it also has the PBY-5 (non anphib)fsc

dp needs so serious work, no wake, please repaint and do a black cat!!

adding to the sparse readme
the floats operate by using the spoiler key the waist blisters open with the canopy key

Allen
November 3rd, 2008, 11:13
dp needs so serious work

Dp for PBY. Has Drop tank but won't drop becouse of Air file isn't set up for drop tank. Torpedos and bombs. Guns are set up for AI and player.

Change PBY5a.txt (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60416&stc=1&d=1225742863) to PBY5a.DP and delete your PBY5a.CDP

Have Fun!

Bug I found. Texture on pilot head is not there at all and nose guuner is not textued at all. With Torpedos can't take off from land. I haven't tried sea yet.

EDIT: I'm try to make the Gunner better on the sides so the PBY5a.txt (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60445&stc=1&d=1225758130) keeps changeing.

Rocktser2
November 3rd, 2008, 16:11
I am on the same track............but with just aerial depth charges

You will need Mariner depth charge mod and Martin Wrights RAF pilots for this one.........

Ravenna
November 3rd, 2008, 17:03
Many thanks Crashaz!!:ernae:

dvslats
November 3rd, 2008, 17:54
Air file that includes two external drop tanks...so they will drop. :ernae:
Change the extension from *.txt back to *.air

Allen
November 3rd, 2008, 19:13
I'm glad we're on track to make this good as gold. I hope that in the next one that pilots and gunners will be part of the model itself since I'm not a fan of DL lots of things for one plane. The pontoons need to start up not down as they are now becouse they stay down when there used as a AI aircraft an dose not look good flying with them down.

Rocktser2. Did you see if the gun blister in your DP will target Enemy aircraft? I had to remake mine to do so. I used the one that came with it as a base but didn't work for the AI.

Rocktser2
November 3rd, 2008, 19:13
Pretty crude .........................and kinda cheezy.............

but putt'in in some more old stuff...............................cut and paste Martin Mariner autowake stuff............

And the old Ruppert and gang cheezy life raft....Sea King Mission Pack

dog1
November 4th, 2008, 03:46
How about putting all the above into one easy to use upgrade kit for us common users? would appreciate that,
dog1

Warhawk1130
November 4th, 2008, 05:16
Pretty crude .........................and kinda cheezy.............

but putt'in in some more old stuff...............................cut and paste Martin Mariner autowake stuff............

And the old Ruppert and gang cheezy life raft....Sea King Mission Pack

Where to get this pack?

Rocktser2
November 4th, 2008, 14:46
If you need Life Rafts for use with the PBY............................

go to simviation.com or flightsim.com and search with Jim Jacobson Sea King.....................

I don't want to derail this thread............so Sea King Mission Pack thread

Skipsan
November 4th, 2008, 18:37
Beta Version? Quite the aircraft:isadizzy: It"s one of the best I've seen over the years lots of attention to detail. It's just outstanding all the way around. :ernae::ernae::ernae:

Can't wait for the production model:d

Thank you ever so much Crashaz :jump: And to all that have contributed :applause::applause::applause:

Skipsan:kilroy:

Allen
November 4th, 2008, 21:25
A remade the panel so you can see better out from 2D panel.

Save pby3.bmp (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60647&stc=1&d=1225866152) and Panel.TXT (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60648&stc=1&d=1225866152). Change Panel.TXT (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60648&stc=1&d=1225866152) to panel.cfg and drop into PBY. Save a back up of stock panel.cfg and pby3.bmp just incase you don't like the new panel.

Let me know if you all like it!

gavinc
November 5th, 2008, 06:58
Hi
Since Captain Tenneal has generously put the FSDS source code in the zip file and there are the files for a PBY 5 as well as the PBY 5a. The PBY 5 needs work still.

I have started, (I copied the turret gun over from the PBY 5a) but since I barely know how to spell FSDS it will be a long time before it is ready if we wait for me.

Any victim..., I mean volunteers?

Thanks
Gavin

gavinc
November 5th, 2008, 07:36
Hi guys,
This might help those of you are working on dp files.
It is an FS2000 compatible model file. This means that it can be opened by DPED and used for the wireframe blueprint.

1 - Place the file pby5a wireframe.mdl in your model folder
2 - open the dp file as usual with DPED
3 - do another File / Open and browse to your model folder
4 - Select the pby5a wireframe.mdl

Your pc should chug along for a while and then you should see a wireframe of the PBY in the Blue Print window.

I have zipped up the model and then had to change the extension to attach it to this thread. So download the file called pby5a wireframe.zip.pdf, rename it to pby5a wireframe.zip, and then unzip the mdl file as normal.

Hope you find it useful

Gavin

Allen
November 5th, 2008, 09:08
The wireframe blueprint worked gavinc.

Update for hit boxes and gun location

Change the name and extension from "new PBY5a.txt" to "PBY5a.dp"

Allen
November 5th, 2008, 12:51
New skin for PBY-5 done as a Black Cat.

Take the .pdf off of the Black cat.zip.pdf (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60734&stc=1&d=1225921794) and then unzip the texture files as normal.

dog1
November 7th, 2008, 07:09
hi,
i have moored 2 of them in my espiritu santo port as a scenery which i will be soon uploading as the first of my enhanced default bases and i would like to know what should i modify in the cfg or dp to get the wheels up?
dog1

Allen
November 7th, 2008, 09:35
The wheels are part of the model there no way to change if there up or down with out moding it.

crashaz
November 7th, 2008, 12:38
LOL!!

No problem Bruce.... just everyone remember this work is being done by Captain Tenneal!

Beautiful work there... wish I could take credit for that. :costumes:

egypt23spitfire
November 7th, 2008, 22:09
.................:ernae:.nice work CAPN:ernae:

..........looks like your baby will become the best PBY5A on the block
.......................:applause:KUDOS:applause:

Captain Tenneal
November 8th, 2008, 10:16
An early Black cat

gavinc
November 9th, 2008, 07:20
Cap'n
Is that what I think it is???

Gavin

Captain Tenneal
November 9th, 2008, 20:46
Cap'n
Is that what I think it is???

Gavin

yeah,,,, no,,,, I don't know,,,, :costumes:

Captain Tenneal
November 9th, 2008, 22:24
after a long shift the "fly by night squadron " black cats come home to roost

Allen
November 10th, 2008, 08:35
Lookin' good!

Captain Tenneal
November 10th, 2008, 18:42
HMMmmmm is this were Kenny Rodgers got that song???.

day-time dumb bo night time bomber,,, just wantin to sink the other at night and pickin up the friends in the day

gavinc
November 12th, 2008, 05:19
Hi,
Thought you might find this interesting - USN film about the Black Cats.
http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/399.CFM

It plays very jerkily on my setup - hopefully you all have better luck.

Gavin

Captain Tenneal
November 12th, 2008, 06:50
Hey thanks!! that confirmed a few things for me

Jagdflieger
November 12th, 2008, 08:12
Great link. I got some ideas for scenery too.

Oglivie
November 12th, 2008, 13:30
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/blackcat/

Thanks for the Cat guys!:ernae:

stoney
November 12th, 2008, 18:37
Say, where can I find the fx:
fx_bowspCat2 ?

Captain Tenneal
November 12th, 2008, 22:07
Say, where can I find the fx:
fx_bowspCat2 ?

Hoss,

here is that thread that I got it from
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3061&highlight=PBY-5+wake

oh yeah an action shot from the Black Cats!! there rippin and tearin up the joint. Japs say we have some sort of "super" fighter plane heehee little do they know anyway there goes another few 1000 tonnes of goodys to the bottom of the slot

gavinc
November 13th, 2008, 04:56
Hi,
Thanks to the Cap'n for releasing the source code along with his new Catalina.

I decided to add some claws to the Black Cat. Here is a model with 4 50 mm machine guns in the nose and that new fangled RADAR to help find those Japanese freighters in the dark.

It is the first thing that I have ever actually managed to make in FSDS (that looks like something) so I am feeling a little proud of myself:applause: (even tho Stiz and the Cap'n did 99.999% of the work).

No DP yet but if people are interested I will upload the mdl (and source). Be warned it isn't multi res - so hunt alone!

A couple of shots. Getting ready at dusk and then heading out on the prowl.
Gavin

oldwheat
November 13th, 2008, 10:13
I'm rather surprised that no one has made an attempt to multi-res the source files yet.

kelticheart
November 13th, 2008, 12:40
A good day to everybody! :wavey:

First of all, a big

THANK YOU !!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

to Crashaz, Stiz and the VN team for this splendid bird!!!

I am sorry I continue to be quite absent from this forum, since I am working heavy mornings in school getting up everyday at 6 a.m. and back past 2 p.m. then after a quick meal, I work on me house.

I did not expect the many troubles I discovered during the renovation and the difficoulty in founding people capable of doing a good job like floor ceramic tiles laying. But the work is moving on, if not at the pace I would like it. :running:

Just to let you know me heart is still here at SOH, I found the time to do alternative prop textures for this beautiful PBY, as you can see from the attached screenies...:d

I also did a GG-style gauge-controlled exhaust effect before remembering that only one effect can be handled by GG gauges.

I figured it's better having the bowspray effect than flames out of the exhaust pipes, at least that's how I installed mine. Oh, well...:rolleyes:

At any rate, I will include the effect in my upload together with dp entries for a continous exhaust effect, so that everyone will have several effect choices.

I am expecting to upload the files by this weekend.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Captain Tenneal
November 13th, 2008, 13:29
I'm rather surprised that no one has made an attempt to multi-res the source files yet.

I plan on doing a multi-res versions, i should of done it from the get go :costumes:

oldwheat
November 13th, 2008, 14:01
I kinda thought so... cool :jump:..

Crashwoody1
November 13th, 2008, 14:38
Hey sweet! I took the Pby Cat panel from that Abacus junk they released a long time ago..(although it had a sweet panel. LOL! thats the only reason i bought it) And I took the Grumman_Goose_G21A sounds from Fsx and its on the way to being a smoken hot addon! Im going to make some guages for this one as well. And I will paint it up a few liveries as well.

Hey if one of you guys can get the interior(vc cranked up I will paint it like you never seen for ya. I can do paints really well.
And it will help me get back into the swing of things.

Tom/Crashwoody:ernae:

stoney
November 13th, 2008, 15:20
Thanks Captain, that'll work.:jump:

Captain Tenneal
November 13th, 2008, 21:49
ohhhh I would so much like to see new liveries!!! a "painter" I amm not....

BTW strike 1 on first try @ Multi-Res, but it is late......

watchdog22
November 13th, 2008, 22:14
As a painter I was a little disappointed at the tiny size of the Cats wing textures, any chance of this being addressed in the model? I feel some RAAF PBY5's coming on when the floats only version hits the streets :-)

gavinc
November 14th, 2008, 04:04
Another field modified cat. This time the twin 20 mm cannon version with a slightly different radar antennae layout.

And no Old Wheat it isn't multi res yet, I'm still learning this stuff.

Gavin

ckissling
November 14th, 2008, 06:58
How about a blue skin with the early radar.ckissling

Allen
November 14th, 2008, 07:25
If the radar antennas are not color in the model but are skined there alway cane be a more skins made for any color you want.

gavinc
November 15th, 2008, 03:52
At the moment the Radar antennae aren't textured but that is a simple fix. I wasn't sure whether they would have been painted to match the underside of the wing or whether the paint would have interfered with the antenna functioning? Any physics or radio experts out there?

Gavin

Allen
November 15th, 2008, 14:17
At the moment the Radar antennae aren't textured but that is a simple fix. I wasn't sure whether they would have been painted to match the underside of the wing or whether the paint would have interfered with the antenna functioning? Any physics or radio experts out there?

Gavin

I would still texture them with there own .bmp so the can be made with a texture even if they were not painted the same as the underside so that they alpha-ed out in the .bmp if your not skining a PBY with Radar.

As for paint would interfere with the radar I cant say.