PDA

View Full Version : PC freezes, any ideas why?

sandar
January 21st, 2010, 09:38
Please, please, please,can anyone help me. Suddenly my PC started freezing for no apparent reason. No changes were made to hardware or software.

What happens is this: When I watch a video eg you tube or news item and when I fire up FS9, my PC just freezes, requiring a reboot. The sound also freezes, but goes on stuttering. The last time it occurred when I started FS9, it sounded like a church clock ticking, another time on a music video, it alternated between two note very quickly, sounding a bit like a police siren.

I have checked for dust and heat, it is neither of those things. I have put in a new sound card ( I previously used the on board sound). I didn't expect that to work as wasn't disappointed. I have cleaned and reseated the video card, no joy there, could the card be defective?

I did manage to attract a trojan from somewhere (Face book most likely), a scan found it and the security dealt with it, so I thought, but when I did another scan, it was back. I am currently researching this trojan via google (forgot to make a note of the name with old fashioned pencil and paper, so I can't advise on what it does).

Anyone any more ideas please? Another day without flying:isadizzy: might drive me to drink :icon29:

cheezyflier
January 21st, 2010, 10:25
i'm no expert, but there are those here who are.
my guess is the trojan is busy using your resources to do something, maybe messed up your registry somehow. harleyman will probably know

sandar
January 21st, 2010, 11:37
Ok, Now for the bad news, I have a Backdoor trojan and I am having difficulty in removing it. Any ideas? please

kilo delta
January 21st, 2010, 11:42
Try running Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org/). What is the name of the trojan?

sandar
January 21st, 2010, 12:48
I have 5 entries in my scan result, here is a copy and paste of the log

Backdoor.Trojan, Registry key,HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows \CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6}, 5-3057

Backdoor.Trojan, Registry Key, HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explo rer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6}, 5-3057

Backdoor.Trojan, Registry Key, HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\{c48635ad-d6b5-3ee4-aaa2-540d5a173658}, 5-8642

Backdoor.Trojan, Registry Key, HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explo rer\{c48635ad-d6b5-3ee4-aaa2-540d5a173658}, 5-8642

Trojan.Win32/Agent, Registry Value, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network Value=UID, 4-24156

gigabyte
January 21st, 2010, 13:25
You might also try a good online scanner like Housecall, often it will give good removal instructions and or tools if it is able to identify specific bugs.

Here is the link - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

harleyman
January 21st, 2010, 14:43
Forget the freeware..

PCTools Spyware/ antiVirus

Been selling it for a while now and NOTHING has ever gotten past it..

Nothing was ever failed to be removed after the fact too.

$39.95 a year..Does three computers

waco
January 21st, 2010, 17:47
Turn off System Restore and scan for the trojan. They often hide in that sacrosant area. Just remember to turn it back on if you find it there and remove it.

sandar
January 22nd, 2010, 00:19
Firstly, Many thanks for the replies and help. This is the first time in a very long while that anything pernicious has infected my PC. I have been attacked a few times, but my security software has always dealt with it.

My virus/trojan/worm shield didn't pick it up at all, but always stopped scanning between 47% and 95% complete. A malware scan picked up the trojans and claimed to have cleaned them, but when I ran the scan again, they were back.

What I did was to shut down system restore, run all the security scans I could, tracked them down via the regedit command, right clicked the offending entry and deleted it. It's early days yet, but hopefully it's gone.

I am off to a darkened and sound proofed room now to vent my anger at the *@#^$*~# that causes these problems.

kilo delta
January 22nd, 2010, 00:57
In order to be more effective you'll need to run your malware programs while the computer is in Safe Mode.

sandar
January 22nd, 2010, 06:30
In order to be more effective you'll need to run your malware programs while the computer is in Safe Mode.

I ran all of the scans in safe mode, they found the trojan, said it was deleted, but on reboot is was back.:angryfir:

My PC might end up in the garden soon, via a closed window:crybaby::banghead:

I am using my wife's laptop at the moment, I don't like it at all

waco
January 22nd, 2010, 08:48
As Gigabyte posted, Trend Micro's House Call is an excellent choice. It's an online, free scan with good instructions and choices for healing. Or maybe it's time to bite the bullet and format and reinstall. Sometimes that's the quickest and most hassle free way to go.

sandar
January 22nd, 2010, 09:56
As Gigabyte posted, Trend Micro's House Call is an excellent choice. It's an online, free scan with good instructions and choices for healing. Or maybe it's time to bite the bullet and format and reinstall. Sometimes that's the quickest and most hassle free way to go.

After three days of trying to get rid of this backdoor trojan, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it does not exist.

Apart from one program (IObit 360) which regularly finds it and claims to remove it, none of the other security programs (McAfee) can find it all and that include a trojan/agent specific seek and destroy program Symantec Backdoor.Agent.B Removal Tool 1.0.1.2) . Am I getting a sort of false positive result? If so what is causing my PC to freeze when I use either sound or video?

harleyman
January 22nd, 2010, 14:05
If you have a Creative Sound card 10 to 1 the drivers are causing your freeze..

matter of fact with the description of how the saond was stuttering and locked I all but guarentee its those drivers

Delete them Clean them in safe mode

manually clean the regestry if you know how (remove all that says Creative in the three software drop downs)

Reboot and have fun

Then get an older set of drivers.

CREATIVE DRIVERS SU you get the point...LOL