PDA

View Full Version : RE: Yellow, vertical line displaying on new monitor screen

brad kaste
January 20th, 2010, 09:37
Hi All,
A few weeks ago I received through NewEgg a Samsung 22" LCD monitor screen. Wonderful picture and resolution. Even has an 'adjustable' height stand,...which one can hardly find anymore.
Anyway,....a few days ago a thin, yellow vertical line started to appear on the right side of the screen. About an inch away from the right frame side. Sometimes it will appear,...other times not.
I called NewEgg about this (30 day return policy) and the chap at the other end was great. He stated it's a defect and I could return it for another exact model. Which I plan to do.
(Always good to keep an older 'backup' monitor up in the attic:kilroy:)
I decided to google this issue about a vertical yellow line showing. Boy,...were there the hits. Many thoughts, ideas, and suggestions how to fix it. But the bottom line seemed that it's issue within the monitor, not the computer. Live with it or replace it.
One guy suggested that if you touch the soft LCD screen the yellow line will disappear. He was right. I touched the yellow line at the bottom of the screen and it went away immediately. But who knows for how long?
So,..I was wondering,....has anybody come across this type of problem before,...and what did you do to fix the issue?

lefty
January 20th, 2010, 10:08
The fact that NewEgg agree so quickly that it's a fault should tell you everything. It's a faulty monitor.

Have had the stray vertical line problem on early laptops - always means a new screen.

Dangerousdave26
January 20th, 2010, 12:32
Take the new monitor and run but is it a common problem with Samsung monitors?

I would look to see if that is the case.

If so I just purchased http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 and I have had no problems with it.

If they would let you upgrade I would recommend this monitor with out hesitation.

Dave

brad kaste
January 20th, 2010, 14:30
Hey Dave,...I returned the monitor to the local UPS store this afternoon. So it's already been shipped back to NewEgg. I'm pleased with it so I requested an exact replacement. I'll just look at it as purchasing defective stuff. For the first time. If it happens again,....for sure,...I'll look into something else. Such as the ASUS you've recommended.

Moparmike
January 20th, 2010, 14:48
A dead line (or hot or cold pixels) is a possibility with every brand LCD. These usually turn up fairly quickly after you start using a new LCD though so that manufacturer warranty (or seller's exchange policy) is your friend...as long as they stand behind it. Samsung has been a pretty solid brand for me...been using Samsung LCDs for several years now. For an LCD, they have good color representation (important for photographers or graphics work).

It's the luck of the draw on whether or not you'll get the one that got a speck of dust when the connector was fastened to the screen or one that got knocked around a bit too hard during shipping and popped one contact loose.

As for the Asus.
If you do go that brand, make darn good and sure you can exchange any problems units with the seller and don't have to deal with the company itself. The fiasco that Ickie had with his Asus monitor (no end of problems trying to RMA a defective unit with the company) is a pretty common one with them for both their LCDs and their motherboards too. Their QC and customer service have dropped off considerably in the last few years.