PDA

View Full Version : Early WIP

falcon409
January 20th, 2010, 09:05
If you've done much flying in Alaska, then you've probably landed here, or flew nearby anyway.

huub vink
January 20th, 2010, 09:36
Don't do uch flying in Alaska, but when I see this I perhaps should start to fly there. Nice work Falcon.

Huub

falcon409
January 20th, 2010, 09:49
Don't do much flying in Alaska, but when I see this I perhaps should start to fly there. Nice work Falcon.
Huub
Thanks Huub. The buildings you see in the image are left over from the default scenery. All those will be gone and replaced with houses, hangars and buildings placed over the photoreal scenery. I'm having a problem with the AFCAD right now. If I leave it as is, the airport loads fine, but if I remove the taxiways, ramps and parking links (all of which I'll redo to match the actual photoimage) from the file, the sim locks up the second I choose Tok Junction. No idea why.

MCDesigns
January 20th, 2010, 14:35
Sad thing is, I have flown alot in Alaska, but rarely north of Yakutat, so I have missed this one. Looks pretty cool though, will have to check it out when finished!

falcon409
January 20th, 2010, 17:49
Tok Junction is actually the point of entry and departure for travelers along the Alaskan Highway. They have to pass through Tok Junction entering Alaska and leaving.

Here's another WIP, putting the autogen in place:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/ScreenHunter_01Jan202044.jpg

MCDesigns
January 20th, 2010, 17:54
Wow, great job on the autogen, looks wonderful!

MS should have had you on the payroll before FSX was released. Just thinking about how many airports you could have given the photoreal treatment to in the development time that FSX was in,......... boggles the mind, LOL

CG_1976
January 20th, 2010, 17:54
Never been there in the sim. Looks like a interesting area to visit from Yellowknife.

lawdawg
January 20th, 2010, 18:21
Very nice!!
Almost in my back yard. Lookin forward to this.

falcon409
January 20th, 2010, 18:33
Wow, great job on the autogen, looks wonderful!

MS should have had you on the payroll before FSX was released. Just thinking about how many airports you could have given the photoreal treatment to in the development time that FSX was in,......... boggles the mind, LOL
lol, yea, that would have been a cool gig for sure. I have to credit Holger with giving me a little tid bit of information that has changed my luck as far as populating autogen.

I had been doing large areas of coverage with larger boxes and just plastering an area like that or using the poly to mask an entire area assuming that would give me good coverage, but it never did. In most cases the actual coverage looked very sparse, not at all what I expected. Holger suggested that I do small boxes, no larger than a pixel in size (mine are slightly larger than that) and then place them over the center of the tree (this was to get a single row of trees in alignment), one box over each tree. . .needless to say, it worked perfectly.

I took his suggestion for single trees and added to it, by copying that single box and then pasting 5 or six in a loose arrangement, selecting that group, copy, and then using the right mouse click I could populate a huge area in no time and the result is what you see in the last pic. paste closer together for a tight forest or farther apart for a more open air look, but still plenty of coverage. Works like a champ.

guzler
January 21st, 2010, 09:35
Loving these airfields with photo ground textures. I really must learn how to do that and get a few made.

Lionheart
January 21st, 2010, 10:37
Nice to have some Alaska scenery!

When FS2004 came out, (or was it FS2002), I did nothing for months but fly in Alaska in those awesome mountain ranges.. with fog and rain.. woohoooo!

Bill

Sky~6
January 21st, 2010, 10:43
Fantastic Falcon, lookign great...would be nice to have a package of Alaska strips that have been redone- Im looking to get TongasX, PNW FTX, and any custom Alaska stips you guys have been making...