PDA

View Full Version : New user has question RE: OV-10 Bronco

BaconscratchA31SWTG
January 19th, 2010, 21:19
Hello, and thanks for reading this. This is my first post, so I hope this is the right place for questions...

Anyway, I downloaded the freakin' awesome OV-10 by Piglet. Everything works and it flies perfectly, except that the fuselage is totally black (can't see a livery.) I've searched for a few hours, but I haven't come across any way to fix this. Does anyone know how to make the plane look correct when viewed from the outside?

I'm running a legal copy of FSX Gold Edition and Acceleration is not installed. I have DX10.

On another note, Acceleration won't load on my computer (Intel G33/31 Integrated Graphics - need vertex shader and hardware t & l.) Is there anyway to copy the p-51, Merlin, and F-18 from the disk so I can fly them in FSX? Better yet, any way to force the install?

I know that's a lot to throw at ya'll, so any help is appreciated!

falcon409
January 19th, 2010, 21:33
I see javis is in here as well and he may know more about this, but I didn't think DX10 was available unless you have Accel installed. I assumed from what you said that you are running FSX in DX10. If that really is the case, then I know that some of Piglets aircraft (at least the OV-10)aren't compatible with DX10.

I'm not familiar with the system you have, a lot more info could help, but with integrated graphics, I'm guessing the graphics currently installed isn't able to handle what FSX is trying to display, hence the reason for the black exterior.

falcon409
January 19th, 2010, 21:36
After re-reading your post, if you could give a better rundown of exactly what your system has, including memory, CPU speed, harddrives and capacity, etc. The more I think about it though, I believe you'll need a much more up to date graphic card at least.

falcon409
January 19th, 2010, 21:42
Ok, unless you have a separate onboard graphics card (one that snaps into a slot on the motherboard, then that is your problem, the G30 line of integrated graphics is only there to plug your monitor into to get a display. It's not setup to run hi intensity graphics. That's the reason you can't install Accel also.

BaconscratchA31SWTG
January 19th, 2010, 21:57
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, this computer pretty much sucks...

I know I could upgrade with a new card and so forth, for around $400 when all is said and done. I can't do that right now, so I've given up on Acceleration until I get a new computer. I've also looked into the few possible work-arounds, but I don't have the computer expertise to even consider such an undertaking. Oh well...

Surprisingly, FSX runs well enough for me, with a solid 25-30 FPS. Scenery density is normal, and of course NO autogen. I can live with that for now.

My system specs: Intel G33/31 - dual CPU E2160 @ 1.8 GHz in Vista 32-bit. 1G of RAM. DirectX-10. Recently uploaded all current drivers and Intel's Graphic Media Accelerator. Oh, hard drive is 280G with 232G free. I hope that's the info you are looking for.

I will be happy if I can just get the OV-10 to look normal, so if you have any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Dave

BaconscratchA31SWTG
January 19th, 2010, 22:02
Haha,

I just did "dxdiag" and it says DirectX 11?!? I'm guessing I should try to roll back to DirectX9?

When I go to DirectX Diagnostic Tool, and then "display," it says "DDI Version 9Ex" under "drivers." I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing you do.

Let's say I roll back to DirectX 9, will this cause a loss of performance/graphics quality in FSX? Should I do this?

Thanks

Dave

falcon409
January 19th, 2010, 22:07
. . . . .My system specs: Intel G33/31 - dual CPU E2160 @ 1.8 GHz in Vista 32-bit. 1G of RAM. DirectX-10. Recently uploaded all current drivers and Intel's Graphic Media Accelerator. I hope that's the info you are looking for.

I will be happy if I can just get the OV-10 to look normal, so if you have any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Dave
Hi Dave,
With my limited expertise, I can at least tell you that the CPU speed (1.8) and the Ram (1gig), would appear to me to be border line, if not below minimums. DX10, my guess simply means that it "can" run DX10 in a best case scenario, which you don't have right know I'm afraid.

I'm curious what your other aircraft look like in FSX. Do you have the no livery problem with any other aircraft?

EDIT: as for the DirectX question, considering what your system is trying to do graphically, I would think DirectX 9 would actually work better. Also, even though it may say DirectX 11, I don't think that comes into play unless called on by the game you're running (simulator or FP Shooter), so unless you were to activate DX10 Preview in FSX (which you can't do anyway), it doesn't really mean a lot.

BaconscratchA31SWTG
January 19th, 2010, 22:12
Falcon409,

No, I don't have any problems with any other aircraft. In fact, to my layman's eyes, they look pretty darned good. The only issue I can think of, is that the "Quito" mission won't load. The 747 flies well, though, in free-flight.

I do appreciate you taking the time to address my questions. Hopefully I'll see you around on these boards. Happy flying.

************************************************** *******************************

Roger that on DirectX. As I'm sure you can tell, I have a lot to learn about computers. This FlightSim stuff is massively addictive! I'm going to go add some info to my profile, and then turn on the sim. I will check back tomorrow. Ya'll have a good evening.

falcon409
January 19th, 2010, 22:14
Roger that! Take care and good luck:salute:

Daube
January 20th, 2010, 01:10
I think the problem is simpler than that.
You have installed FSX but you have not installed Acceleration.
That means that you are still running a genuine FSX, without SP1 or SP2 that are included in Acceleration.
Piglet's Bronco was made for SP2. If you don't have SP2, it won"t display properly.

jmig
January 20th, 2010, 03:39
Welcome to SOH, Bacon.

You should still be able to download SP1 & SP2 from Microsoft if you can't get Acceleration to load.. The box the DVDs came in should give you the min. system required. I think Falcon409 is correct in your integrated graphics is the culprit.

As for the F-18 and P-51. You may be able to extract the cab file(s) in which they are located. Be aware that the gauges on the F-18 will not work without out Acceleration installed. You will have blank holes. I am not sure of the P-51? I don't fly it. There are too many better P-51's, IMO.

Good luck!