PDA

View Full Version : Cazzie..... telescopes

luckydog
January 18th, 2010, 23:27
My wimpy 4" Celestron ain't cuttin' it.
I'm REAL close to ordering the 8" Nexstar SE.
Reviews look good.........except for lack of accessories.

Any thoughts ??

LD

Cazzie
January 19th, 2010, 16:54
My wimpy 4" Celestron ain't cuttin' it.
I'm REAL close to ordering the 8" Nexstar SE.
Reviews look good.........except for lack of accessories.

Any thoughts ??

LD

Busier than a Catholic at Happy Hour right now LD, I'll get back with you.

8" is a definable edge over 4-in in deep sky observing. You need dark skies for any. Make sure it has clock drive and tracking. Get two good eyepieces, add more. Best to start with a wide-angle 25 or 40-mm and for high-power, go with a 12 to a 15-mm eyepiece, wide-view preferable.

Gotta get back to the homework table with the kid.

Caz

jmig
January 19th, 2010, 17:08
Busier than a Catholic at Happy Hour right now LD, I'll get back with you.

Caz

Now THAT is funny! Nothing like the monthly "men's" dinner.

Cratermaker
January 20th, 2010, 07:45
I love this book--->>> The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Astronomers-Guide-Terence-Dickinson/dp/155209507X)

I think anyone should read it before buying a telescope. Get it through inter-library lone if you have to. It's worth it.

Cazzie
January 20th, 2010, 15:37
I love this book--->>> The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Astronomers-Guide-Terence-Dickinson/dp/155209507X)

I think anyone should read it before buying a telescope. Get it through inter-library lone if you have to. It's worth it.

Anything published by Terance Dickerson is two thumbs up by me! :applause:

Another book by him I highly recommend after purchasing a telescope is NIGHTWATCH: An Practical Guide To Viewing The Universe:

http://www.amazon.com/Nightwatch-Practical-Viewing-Universe-NIGHTWATCH/dp/B001TLF0PO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264034153&sr=1-3

Caz

luckydog
January 20th, 2010, 20:54
Thanks for the PM, Caz.........

I've been lookin' upwards since I was about 10 yrs old, using binocs, spotting scopes, cheapo reflectors and refractors, etc. I'm familiar with optics / light gathering abilities.
I've enjoyed "Stellarium" and "The Sky" for years.

Basically, what I was asking was: would you spend $1200 on a Celestron NexStar 8" SE ??? (plus accessories)
Or go Meade or Orion ??

Money isn't a factor.........I'd go for a 12", but I want something reasonably portable and the damn things weigh too much!!

Thanks
LD

Cazzie
January 21st, 2010, 02:12
I am really not that familiar with Orion scopes LD, thought they only sold scopes.

I am just a Celestron man LD, meade scopes are fine, but for the extra $200. or so that you pay for a Celestron, I'd say you get your money's worth. Anorther thing to consider, Celestron is home-made in the USA.

Yeah, I'd like a 10" or 12" scope too, but my old body can just barely haul around the 8" scope. They are lifetime investments, well-taken care off, a good scope should be good for several generations.

Caz