PDA

View Full Version : Dang, wouldn't have predicted this...

PRB
January 18th, 2010, 13:47
Taylor Swift and Def Leppard? Huh? That can't work, can it? You be the judge! This was from some program called “Crossroads”, where they pair “unlikely” bands/singers on stage. It's quite interesting, although I must confess to being slightly uncomfortable when they got to “Pour Some Sugar On Me”... She's what, 16 years old? And they are all, well, older!

YSec1aEBNWc&feature=related

cheezyflier
January 18th, 2010, 13:52
i'm gonna bite my tounge on this one

http://www.shcl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bite-your-tongue.jpg

PRB
January 18th, 2010, 13:56
She did quite well I thought. She can actually sing and carry a tune without the help of electronic wizzardry. Imagine that! I'd never heard of Taylor Swift before I saw this. Not my kind of music, more or less, but I was impressed. I like this version better than the original one. :icon_lol:

Willy
January 18th, 2010, 14:15
Taylor Swift has been pretty big on country radio for a couple of years now.

The Crossroads pairing up that I liked the best was Alison Krause and Robert Plant. That turned out to be an excellent match. They went on and did an award winning album together.

Dain Arns
January 18th, 2010, 14:22
She did quite well I thought. She can actually sing and carry a tune without the help of electronic wizzardry. Imagine that! I'd never heard of Taylor Swift before I saw this. Not my kind of music, more or less, but I was impressed. I like this version better than the original one. :icon_lol:

She's 19 or 20. Got her start in Country. She's pretty popular right now.
She was the victim of the Kayne West incident at the MTV Music Awards this past year:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/14/mtv.music.video.awards/index.html

Suspect the music industry is looking to see if she can become a crossover star and sing in other markets with specials like this.
I agree, its nice to hear someone who can actually sing, and not be electronically enhanced or over dubbed for a change.
I don't have any of her music, probably won't. :icon_lol:

She does do a pretty good Shakira impression too:

8BJbBQftmT0

Bjoern
January 18th, 2010, 15:29
I didn't let her finish this time.

Why, Def....whyyyyyy?

TeaSea
January 18th, 2010, 15:33
Actually, I think she's 20......

She was great on SNL though!

I've no answer for the Def Leppard question....quite without answers.

Moparmike
January 18th, 2010, 22:12
Taylor Swift has been pretty big on country radio for a couple of years now.

The Crossroads pairing up that I liked the best was Alison Krause and Robert Plant. That turned out to be an excellent match. They went on and did an award winning album together.

Yup, Taylor is pretty decent when it comes to carrying a tune. She's got a great voice. I'm not a big fan of her style though.

Now I gotta agree with Willy about Alison Krause and Robert Plant.
That Crossroads pairing just plain worked for me. I like old Zep and Plant's later solo stuff (some really diverse & eclectic stuff), and I love Alison's style & voice and any good bluegrass artist.

cheezyflier
January 19th, 2010, 05:07
imo Alison was the better part of that match-up. i love led zep, but plant's voice is gettin a little worn out.

Craig Taylor
January 19th, 2010, 06:27
I stumbled across the Swift-Leppard material a few months ago on YouTube, looking for some old Leppard videos for some nostalgia, and thought, "Whaa___?" As a long-time Leppard fan from as far back as my college days, my first reaction was, "What the heck were they thinkin...," but I think it works. :applause: Both genre's have been covering each other's hits for decades, so why not?

Edit: I really liked their cover of "Hysteria." Of course, each to their own tastes.

Snuffy
January 19th, 2010, 06:32
My best crossroads episodes were:

Heart and Wynonna Judd

ZZ Top and Brooks and Dunn.

:applause: :ernae:

Craig Taylor
January 19th, 2010, 06:45
My best crossroads episodes were:

Heart and Wynonna Judd

ZZ Top and Brooks and Dunn.

:applause: :ernae:

Thanks for pointing those out, Snuffy. I'll have to search on YouTube.

Bjoern
January 20th, 2010, 21:08
Edit: I really liked their cover of "Hysteria." Of course, each to their own tastes.

Wait...Muse's Hysteria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7la0SndoCI)?

How dare she...:kilroy: