PDA

View Full Version : CaptainSim B-52 Exterior model released

Akatsuki
January 18th, 2010, 08:13
For those interested the CaptainSim B-52 Exterior model is released:

http://www.captainsim.com/products/b520/

VCN-1
January 18th, 2010, 08:21
IMHO the price seems to be reasonable, all things considered.

VCN-1

Tweek
January 18th, 2010, 10:07
Can't complain with that price at all. Nice to see they haven't gone down the AlphaSim route, and instead have actually charged for what you get with the purchase.

flaviossa
January 18th, 2010, 10:19
Very good model! But in my view, i think this product is what it is now. I really donīt believe that CS will ever do an upgrade on it, concerning VC or anything else. I may be wrong but it seems that the development process of this beauty was canceled maybe due development staff going somewhere else, lack of material to work on, money issues or something like this.

But considering that itīs a B52!!! :jump: model, a very well done one and the price i may consider buying it to make some Wallpapers .... :bump:

spotlope
January 18th, 2010, 10:52
It's a real shame if they don't pursue this one, because the exterior is incredible. I'm not necessarily a BUFF fan, but I'll fly anything that looks as good as their stuff, at least now and then.

JohnC
January 18th, 2010, 11:00
Very good model! But in my view, i think this product is what it is now. I really donīt believe that CS will ever do an upgrade on it, concerning VC or anything else. I may be wrong but it seems to be that the development process of this beauty was canceled maybe due development staff going somewhere else, lack of material to work on, money issues or something like this.

But considering that itīs a B52!!! :jump: model, a very well done one and the price i may consider buying it to make some Wallpapers .... :bump:

That's hugely speculative and I think seriously unreasonable. They have a history with an exterior only release, the 727, which did (after a lengthy period of time) wind up receiving a VC in the end. The B-52's exterior price matches the original 727 exterior price, if you're going to make any assumptions at this point it should correlate with, not contradict the company's history.

flaviossa
January 18th, 2010, 11:39
Hello JohnC,
My post was not about bashing this product at all. I have most of CS products as 727, c130 and the 757 and i must say that i like each one in itīs way. In my post above, i said that it was my view, even that it may be wrong.
I think everybody can have their point of view about this respecting the forum rules and not being unpolite, as some days ago in another topic in here people almost had a fight about this product. It will be a good surprise for me if the VC or any update in this product appears in the future. A good surprise! But at the moment, itīs the way that i see this.
And, of course, i probably will buy it in the next few days (End of month, no money) because as i said itīs a beatiful model and for the people that likes "visual flights", including myself, itīs a must buy.

Sorry if my words appeared as i was criticizing it. Far from it!!
Cheers,

Kiwikat
January 18th, 2010, 11:48
Sorry if my words appeared as i was criticizing it. Far from it!!

Honestly, even if you WERE criticizing it, you didn't say anything wrong. It isn't against the rules here to criticize something. You weren't blatantly bashing it and you didn't cross the line.

There is nothing wrong with criticism. Proper and constructive criticism can help improve everything from products to people. :kilroy:

Naki
January 18th, 2010, 11:50
JohnC,

Captain Sim have stated on their fourms that they have not promised a VC.

http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1196789767/120#120

JohnC
January 18th, 2010, 11:55
Ahhh, my sincere apologies then. I remembered someone making a post about a VC being developed for late 2010/early 2011.

Odie
January 18th, 2010, 11:58
Just downloaded it and will install in a bit. Price is right, at least for me.:bump:

Prowler1111
January 18th, 2010, 12:01
Bit the bullet, bought it, installed it..regretting it..
Yup exteriors are amazing, but the thing is un-flyable, as soon as i start the take off run, controls freeze, no elevators, no ailerons, end in a fireball at the end of the runway.
Take 2, full flaps, i do get up in the air, but itīs a missile, canīt turn, canīt go up or down..
Next time, iīll take the 15 bucks and take the wife out to the movies.
Best regards
Prowler

VCN-1
January 18th, 2010, 12:08
I know someone will correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the B-52 have a 6 person crew?

To duplicate 6(whatever the correct number is) separate cockpits/stations would be real challenge of integrating code.

I wonder what that would hit the FSX market for? And how long it would take to develop?

I did a little programing in the last century and every time a change was made the domino effect occurred.

VCN-1

I just read the H variant has a crew of 5.

Tweek
January 18th, 2010, 12:10
I know the B-52 is notoriously heavy on the controls, but that sounds a bit over the top. Would have thought it would be similar to their C-130 (which still feels too heavy to me).

dougal
January 18th, 2010, 13:08
Oh dear.... not a good one for me i think...

When I select the aircraft, I just get the error 'The visual model could not be displayed', then FSX crashes to the desktop:-(

MenendezDiego
January 18th, 2010, 13:33
Just purchased it.

FSX is loading so we'll see how it goes.

I figure for the price, I could either get it, or 3 packs of smokes. I'll take the B-52

Diego

MenendezDiego
January 18th, 2010, 14:21
Works great for me:

Regards, Diego

d0mokun
January 18th, 2010, 14:33
Looks lovely too!

tracyq144
January 18th, 2010, 15:01
I suppose a dumb question, but how do you fly it? I mean, only from the exterior view?

rvn817j
January 18th, 2010, 15:12
The Buff loads with the default Boeing jet VC. Here is a pix of the Buff after departing the KIAD airspace. (Hope it works.)

Javis
January 18th, 2010, 15:17
You fly it with the default 747 cockpit.... that's the REAL price you have to pay..... ridiculous if you asks me.... :blind:

JamesChams
January 18th, 2010, 15:22
Are all 8 engines "linked" to 8 seperate Throttle Axis' or just 4 from the default 747 :ques:

FYI: I'm just one of those people who are waiting for the entire package. ;)

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Odie
January 18th, 2010, 15:36
Just loaded this one up for a flight out of KBAD, a nautural habitat for the BUFF. I'm at 15,000 feet, crusin' and really liking what I'm seeing from the spot view. For my money, I got what I was expecting.

Flying with the substitute VC isn't that bad for me. As I stated in another thread, I spend most of any given flight outside of the cockpit, entering it to take-off/adjust course/land/taxi, so it's not as jarring to me. Once you leave the cockpit and go to the spot view, oh yeah, it's a BUFF. Typical Captain Sim model...looks very good. Huzzahs to CS for top notch eye-candy!

I can understand the reluctance to go without a full model inside and out, but for me and how I fly, this will work very nicely. I spent my kid years around these leviathans at Barksdale AFB with my dad. I would look up and see them, hear them at night as the sound of their engines would drown out the TV. Being able to have this in FSX is worth the price of admission.

The potential is there for a great package if Captain Sim moves forward with develop of the inside model. From what I've read, that's the time-consuming part of development. If they get that part right, an aviation legend will have a proper place in FSX.

Akatsuki
January 18th, 2010, 15:36
Are all 8 engines "linked" to 8 seperate Throttle Axis' or just 4 from the default 747 :ques:

I think FSX have a limitation of 4 engines, in this case engines are linked by pair, so more than 4 throttles is useless in FSX... I can be proven wrong tho.:mixedsmi:

JamesChams
January 18th, 2010, 15:46
I think FSX have a limitation of 4 engines, in this case engines are linked by pair, so more than 4 throttles is useless in FSX... I can be proven wrong tho.:mixedsmi:

Mr. "Josquin,"

Thanks for the info.; I saw that limitation, too, in FSX Controls menu and FSUIPC's. I'll have to wait and see if they do something "special" (like A2A does when it doesn't exist in the sim). But, I'm still waiting to buy because I want to do only a few installs; installing Patches are just TOO MUCH WORK for me. :icon_lol:

Thanks again and Happy Flying! :wavey:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

MenendezDiego
January 18th, 2010, 17:26
Wow

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2906/cadgasdg.jpg

Regards, Diego

hews500d
January 18th, 2010, 18:18
The B-52 does look nice and for the price I'll probably give in and purchase it eventually. It'll be a real shame though if CS does not release a full version later with VC. This could stand a chance to be one of the best addon's of all time if they were to do so.

Darrell

Rezabrya
January 18th, 2010, 19:40
I am thinking that because of the fact that this thing has been in production for a few years now, they decided to give up on it. And to get a few bucks from it, they decided to release the Exterior of it to get some money. In my opinion, if they planned to make a VC later, they would have confirmed it.

fsafranek
January 18th, 2010, 21:01
I got a phishing error message when I tried to see how much they wanted for it. Also bugs me that I have to go clear to a payment page to see how much it's going to cost me. Opting out for now.
:ernae:

Sedr37
January 19th, 2010, 03:28
Bought it without hesitation for this price and do not regret. Beautiful model!

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4795/a5202.jpg

Ian Warren
January 19th, 2010, 04:07
Bought it without hesitation for this price and do not regret. Beautiful model!

Im sure there will be some follow up simply because of the history , myself also no hesitation and see would be ideal in a multiplay arena .:salute:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

krazycolin
January 19th, 2010, 06:50
Well,,, given that CS is "maybe" not going to release a VC... I just happen to have one... Of course, coding that sucker might be tough... Maybe I could just make it look nice? Have the basic things move/operational and all switches animated but doing nothing?... Could I get away with that? Charge 12 bucks? Huh? Huh?

ps. I AM kidding...

hews500d
January 19th, 2010, 07:14
Well,,, given that CS is "maybe" not going to release a VC... I just happen to have one... Of course, coding that sucker might be tough... Maybe I could just make it look nice? Have the basic things move/operational and all switches animated but doing nothing?... Could I get away with that? Charge 12 bucks? Huh? Huh?

ps. I AM kidding...

I'd pay 12 bucks for it :ernae:

ps. I know you said you're kidding, but seriously, there might just be a market for it :)

Darrell

Henry
January 19th, 2010, 07:27
Just loaded this one up for a flight out of KBAD, a nautural habitat for the BUFF. I'm at 15,000 feet, crusin' and really liking what I'm seeing from the spot view. For my money, I got what I was expecting.

that was you?:icon_lol:
LOL
H

spotlope
January 19th, 2010, 07:43
I got a phishing error message when I tried to see how much they wanted for it. Also bugs me that I have to go clear to a payment page to see how much it's going to cost me. Opting out for now.
:ernae:

It's ten euros, Frank. Just in case you were wondering.

krazycolin
January 19th, 2010, 07:47

ps. I AM kidding...

To do it in a cost effective way, there would be NO weathering and only the two front seats... basic animations on gauges but NO systems at all... (all switches would animate but not do anything. Throttles, flaps, and gear would "work" assuming they really did use the default codes...

hews500d
January 19th, 2010, 08:04
To do it in a cost effective way, there would be NO weathering and only the two front seats... basic animations on gauges but NO systems at all... (all switches would animate but not do anything. Throttles, flaps, and gear would "work" assuming they really did use the default codes...

I look at it this way though, it'd be better than what we are currently offered with it in the way of vc's. I was thinking of buying it and then modeling my own vc to use with it, doing just the basic coding also. Holeeeeeeeeee crap there are a LOT of switches to model :icon_lol::jawdrop::icon_lol:. I certainly wouldn't be above paying a reasonable price for a B-52 vc, especially of the quality, even without weathering, etc. that I'm sure you would do. I looked at the B-52 cockpit on your website and it looks good to me :)

Darrell

Tweek
January 19th, 2010, 09:05
Lovely model. Well worth the money for any spot view fliers out there.

I have made a few tweaks to it, though, cos I'm a fussy bastard when it comes to visual effects. I'll share a few fixes for anyone else who'd like to try them.

1. Changed the smoke opacity. As with their C-130, I think CS have overdone it with the smoke. It looks more like the days of early B-52s when they used water injection on take off than simply what the TF33 produces. So I've changed the following line of cs52_smoke.fx:

[ParticleAttributes.0]
Color Start=75, 75, 75, 10
to
Color Start=75, 75, 75, 5

2. Removed the wingtip vortices. There's no way you should be able to get vapour trailing off the wingtips on a dry day, whilst turning at 1.2Gs. Simple fix:

To the [EFFECTS] section in the aircraft config, add:
vaportrail_l=False
vaportrail_r=False

3. Repositioned the engine smoke. For some reason the smoke seems to be trailing from some point behind the engines, and is slightly out of place on other axes too. So I've edited the [smokesystem] entry to read:
smoke.0=-8, -62, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.4=-8, -57, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.1= 12, -36, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.5= 12, -31, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.2= 12, 31, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.6= 12, 36, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.3=-8, 57, -5, cs52_smoke
smoke.7=-8, 62, -5, cs52_smoke

Note - the height of the engines changes when the wings are flexed, and part of the edit makes it so the smoke is emitted from where the engines are when the wings are flexed, and not with the wings sagging on the ground.

Here's the difference between the two (added white smoke for clarity - top 4 engines are edited, bottom 4 are the default entry):

And for anyone who doesn't know, Christoffer Petersen made an excellent sound pack for the B-52, available at flightsim.com (b52pwtrd.zip).

hschuit
January 19th, 2010, 10:05
Tweek, thank you for the aircraft.cfg tweeks & directing me to the sound file :ernae:
Just downloaded, installed and flew it - definitely a bargain for 10 bucks! I have not yet read the manual so I have not yet figured out if there is a dragchute.

Cheers, Henk.

pernik
January 19th, 2010, 10:57
I've downloaded the soundpack, how do I install it ? Does anyone have a sound.cfg they would be willing to share ?

Thanks

hschuit
January 19th, 2010, 11:06
I've downloaded the soundpack, how do I install it ? Does anyone have a sound.cfg they would be willing to share ?

Thanks
Unzip it, then open the extracted folder B-52 PW-TF33-P-3103 the real deal.
Inside, you will find another folder called sound.
Copy this sound folder into your FSX SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B52 folder, let it overwrite the old sound folder.
That's it.

VCN-1
January 19th, 2010, 11:45
Some serious smoke.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-B-52H-Stratofortress/1450449/L/&sid=17f411a458d62bb4adb58493d66c836b

VCN-1

Tweek
January 19th, 2010, 13:19
That reminds me, I also need to make the smoke trails last longer!

Odie
January 19th, 2010, 13:41
that was you?:icon_lol:
LOL
H

Sorry, Henry! I told the copilot that we would probably hear about the rattling windows....:icon_lol:

flewpastu
January 19th, 2010, 16:47
Just purchased it and Im pretty impressed, Ill start working on the shockwave lights.

Bill

VFR Reviews
January 19th, 2010, 16:49
Which soundpack is this? I can't seem to find it in the thread....

flewpastu
January 19th, 2010, 16:53
go to flightsim.com and under SEARCH put in Christoffer Petersen and it will show all of his soundpacks plus his repaints for other A/C

Bill

Scenium
January 19th, 2010, 16:58

Why not? It sure beats flying from a 747 cockpit!

Thorbjörn

Kiwikat
January 19th, 2010, 17:15

Would it be as functional as the default 747 VC? :kilroy:

krazycolin
January 19th, 2010, 20:02
Almost certainly not. given that the B-52's and the 747's systems are not at all similar.

So, certain gauges would work, throttles, flaps, gear, and other ancillary doodads..... but not everything matches up one to one.... sadly....

flaviossa
January 20th, 2010, 06:15
If someone is interested:
I aliased it to a HJG 707 2d panel and itīs working .... I think itīs better than the 747!!! And with the sound package, itīs almost beliveable!! :kilroy:

papab
January 20th, 2010, 06:22
If someone is interested:
I aliased it to a HJG 707 2d panel and itīs working .... I think itīs better than the 747!!! And with the sound package, itīs almost beliveable!! :kilroy:

Please!
Rick

flaviossa
January 20th, 2010, 06:29
Please!
Rick

Itīs not too complicate!! You can go to HJG site download a 707 panel that better fits your wishes and make an alias to it in the place of the 747's one. I had to do a little tweaking in the sound of the panel (Just deleting some sounds) to not goes over the B52 sound package and voilá!
If nothing better apears i can go with it! :ernae:

rvn817j
January 20th, 2010, 06:36
Itīs not too complicate!! .... I had to do a little tweaking in the sound of the panel (Just deleting some sounds) to not goes over the B52 sound package and voilá!

Hi flaviossa - How about a few more details for those of us that are more FSX challenged?

P.S. I'm liking the B-52 immensely.

papab
January 20th, 2010, 07:58
Bombs Away

It is an extremely well designed aircraft
With that sound pack posted here it makes it even better!

It is only $13.60 USD!!!

Rick

arrowmaker
January 20th, 2010, 08:25
I don't actually have this. However I do occasionally fly the Team KBT B-52, which has a basic B-52 style panel. You guy's might want to check it out and see how you get on.

http://www.simviation.com/fsxmilitary4.htm

hschuit
January 20th, 2010, 08:32
Bombs Away
It is an extremely well designed aircraft
With that sound pack posted here it makes it even better!

It is only $13.60 USD!!!
Rick
And even better: If you buy at Captain Sim's Online Store it's only $9,99...:isadizzy:

hews500d
January 20th, 2010, 08:36
Great looking shots everyone :applause:

Incidentally I just read this over at the Captainsim forums:

"We'd love to see the B-52 with VC/systems, and might be we will release it one day.
But unfortunately it is not in our development plans for 2010"

Sounds like the market is wide open at least for the forseeable future if anyone wants to release a basic, or even advanced, B-52 VC.

Darrell

Prowler1111
January 20th, 2010, 09:03
Might not be a full working vc:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/B-52.jpg

But it does the trick for me..had to unisntall and reinstall the bird in order to get it going.

Best regards
Prowler

dougal
January 20th, 2010, 09:38
I'm still getting CTD with mine:-(

Seems the CS Trouble Ticket system is down and they won't respond to forum requests for help either.

Don't really know what else to do. I've been very polite, but they've still deleted one of my posts.

papab
January 20th, 2010, 09:47
I'm still getting CTD with mine:-(

Seems the CS Trouble Ticket system is down and they won't respond to forum requests for help either.

Don't really know what else to do. I've been very polite, but they've still deleted one of my posts.

Did you try the unistall /reinstall?

I would redownload the file

RIck

dogfish
January 20th, 2010, 09:55
as is usual with captsim, they even modeled the cockpit very well.

hews500d
January 20th, 2010, 09:57
Might not be a full working vc:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Prowler1111/B-52.jpg

But it does the trick for me..had to unisntall and reinstall the bird in order to get it going.

Best regards
Prowler

How did you do that ??!?

Darrell

dogfish
January 20th, 2010, 10:07
when in wing view simply hit control shift enter or control shift backspace to shift side to side or shift enter to go up and shift backspace to go down and the just use your pan switch to move around, also control backspace and control enter to move fwd and backwards. i was suprised with what i saw, even though nothing is functional it looks alot better than the 747 view.

hews500d
January 20th, 2010, 10:33
when in wing view simply hit control shift enter or control shift backspace to shift side to side or shift enter to go up and shift backspace to go down and the just use your pan switch to move around, also control backspace and control enter to move fwd and backwards. i was suprised with what i saw, even though nothing is functional it looks alot better than the 747 view.

Thanks, will it work with Track-IR? (I'd try it myself but I haven't bought the BUFF yet and won't be back in front of my gaming PC till later this week to try it with another aircraft.) :wavey:

Darrell

dogfish
January 20th, 2010, 10:40
i'm not sure as i dont have track ir, however i was able to pan around so it might work.

dougal
January 20th, 2010, 10:50
Did you try the unistall /reinstall?

I would redownload the file

RIck

Thanks Rick, I did try that - no luck.

Was it you in the CS fourum?

papab
January 20th, 2010, 11:16
Thanks Rick, I did try that - no luck.

Was it you in the CS fourum?

Yes and you deleted the original download from your computer before you loaded it again from CS?

Did you try deleting all your temp files and cache?

michael davies
January 20th, 2010, 11:50

Might it not be easier to just set up a new camera position that lines up with the VC ?, then just scroll through the views until you get to it, much easier than having to shunt the wing view back and forth, just a thought.

Prowler1111
January 20th, 2010, 11:56
How did you do that ??!?

Darrell

Let me get viewpoint right and iīll put it here, is a simple model cfg tweak, it goes like this:

[models]
normal=CS_B52
interior=CS_B52

you will lose all gauges and everything, and will have to regard to ctrl+z for flight input, but i simply cant stand flying it from a B747 cockpit.

Best regards
Prowler

dougal
January 20th, 2010, 12:07
Yes and you deleted the original download from your computer before you loaded it again from CS?

Did you try deleting all your temp files and cache?

Yes. I've tried that whole 'caboodle' several times. I just don't don't understand what's going on. Guess i've got something on my system it doesn't like. I have got a shed load of addons.

I might try a different nVidia driver i think.....

hews500d
January 20th, 2010, 12:23
Let me get viewpoint right and iīll put it here, is a simple model cfg tweak, it goes like this:

[models]
normal=CS_B52
interior=CS_B52

you will lose all gauges and everything, and will have to regard to ctrl+z for flight input, but i simply cant stand flying it from a B747 cockpit.

Best regards
Prowler

*smacks forehead* Doh!!! I would have never thought to use the exterior model for the interior too!

I agree this will be better than flying from the 747 cockpit, thanks for the info!

Darrell

dougal
January 20th, 2010, 12:45
Yes. I've tried that whole 'caboodle' several times. I just don't don't understand what's going on. Guess i've got something on my system it doesn't like. I have got a shed load of addons.

I might try a different nVidia driver i think.....

I removed all nVidia drivers and reg entries etc and installed version 196.21

Now what happens is I still get the error message, but now the FSX flight loads up ok, but without a visual model! I just get the lights but no aircraft.

If anyone can think of anything i'd be mucho grateful. It's driving me potty

Thanks

flaviossa
January 20th, 2010, 12:58
dougal95 ... Did you switch off directx10 preview? I know itīs obvious sometimes but what you discribed is the same of having directx10 preview on.

dougal
January 20th, 2010, 13:46
dougal95 ... Did you switch off directx10 preview? I know itīs obvious sometimes but what you discribed is the same of having directx10 preview on.

I NEVER run with DX10 - don't use it at all.

Fireball6
January 21st, 2010, 05:30
May I ask you owners about the paints that come with - are they all grey and have only different markings ?

Dirk

hschuit
January 21st, 2010, 06:34
May I ask you owners about the paints that come with - are they all grey and have only different markings ?

Dirk

Included is only 1 texture set, depicting serial 60-0045 "Cherokee Strip II" from 83rd BS/917th Wg AFRC, Barksdale AFB.

This "all grey" paint comes in 2 versions: 2048x2048 Hi Rez and standard 1024x1024 size. De Hi Rez texture set is amazing, to give you some idea I cropped out some details (scale 1:1). According to the product page a paintkit should come out later.

strykerpsg
January 21st, 2010, 06:49
I don't actually have this. However I do occasionally fly the Team KBT B-52, which has a basic B-52 style panel. You guy's might want to check it out and see how you get on.

http://www.simviation.com/fsxmilitary4.htm

Anyone know how to merge these into the Captainsim variant? I could live with a merged mess until CS figures out the road ahead.

Matt

hschuit
January 21st, 2010, 07:01
As long as the new 2D panel has FSX compatible gauges, adding it should be no rocket science:

1. Rename the old CS_B52\panel folder to e.g. panel.old
2. Copy the Team KBT panel folder into the CS_B52 folder
3. Fly the beast

Cheers, Henk.

Fireball6
January 21st, 2010, 07:09
Thanks hschuit :icon_lol:

Dirk

flaviossa
January 21st, 2010, 07:11
In fact, itīs a little more than this Henk.
You have to copy the Cs controlbuttons gauge to the Team KBT panel folder and include the new entry for this little panel into KBT panel.cfg. I donīt have the exactly entry here now, because iīm at work. But if you open the two CFGīs (Of the old and the new panel) it would be easy to identify the entry that has to be copied to the nem KBT panel.cfg. With this new panel button you can open the bomb doors and open the air refuel system.

I know, not a big thing, but itīs nice too. :salute:

Tweek
January 21st, 2010, 15:26
Dougal, did you manage to get it working at any point? I know someone else who has the same problem - CTD when the flight starts loading.

Tweek
January 21st, 2010, 15:55
Had an idea, in fact. CS's knowledge base is useless and generic, so you probably won't get any help there.

However, have you by any chance removed the default 747 from your aircraft folder? If so, it may be crashing because it can't find the 747 cockpit. I remembered that I had the same problem when I first installed - error message, followed by an invisible BUFF. If you've got your 747 backed up somewhere, then you may need to move it back to the Airplanes folder.

papab
January 21st, 2010, 17:44
Few more shots

Tamworth & ORBX!

Scratch
January 21st, 2010, 18:24
Can the cockpit be aliased to any a/c you have in your hangar, or does it have to be the 747?

strykerpsg
January 21st, 2010, 19:44
Hmmm, finally had someone show me where the KBT file is and they are FS9 files. I also want to get this beauty, but have never merged cockpits and know absolutely nothing about the ability to move FS9 pits into FSX. Can this be done or are there FSX specific items that must be present?

Prowler1111
January 21st, 2010, 19:46
In order to VC swapping to work, they MUST be FSX native models, that means 2 separate .mdlīs, as in FS9 you got one single .mdl that covers the entire aircraft.
Best regards
Prowler

jankees
January 22nd, 2010, 00:06
Oh dear.... not a good one for me i think...

When I select the aircraft, I just get the error 'The visual model could not be displayed', then FSX crashes to the desktop:-(

ooops, the same problem here...

but I just realised that I deleted the 747 a long time ago, could that be the problem?

edit: aliased the panel to the CS727, same problem....

dougal
January 22nd, 2010, 01:32
Dougal, did you manage to get it working at any point? I know someone else who has the same problem - CTD when the flight starts loading.

Hi there

No, I haven't got it working:-(

I have finally established contact with CaptSim (not very good are they?).

Currently in the process of a complete FSX reinstall, along with all 45 addons:isadizzy:

some1
January 22nd, 2010, 03:00
ooops, the same problem here...

but I just realised that I deleted the 747 a long time ago, could that be the problem?

edit: aliased the panel to the CS727, same problem....

You have to change alias for the interior visual model, found in file "model.cfg"

Tweek
January 22nd, 2010, 05:29
Just so you know, I managed to fix the problem said person was having by doing what I suggested. He'd deleted the default aircraft since he never flies them, so I sent a chopped up version of the 747 over, which allowed his B-52 to work. Aliasing the panel AND interior model to a different aircraft would probably work just as well, though.

krazycolin
January 22nd, 2010, 07:19
Sorry guys, we're not going to do a B-52 VC. It's just not worth it... sorry...

kc.

hews500d
January 22nd, 2010, 07:59
Sorry guys, we're not going to do a B-52 VC. It's just not worth it... sorry...

kc.

It's definitely a lot of switches and gauges to build/program. I'm going to work on one in my spare time for personal use, but probably won't be able to ever release it, even as freeware. :monkies:

Maybe Captainsim will eventually give it the treatment it deserves. :icon29:

Darrell

jankees
January 22nd, 2010, 08:17
You have to change alias for the interior visual model, found in file "model.cfg"

yup, that prevented the CTD, now all I have is the "can not display visual model" message, and a transparant external model, so nothing really.
Reminds me a bit of a certain Mustang....
I think I'd better stop buying aircraft...grrrrr

dougal
January 22nd, 2010, 08:25
yup, that prevented the CTD, now all I have is the "can not display visual model" message, and a transparant external model, so nothing really.
Reminds me a bit of a certain Mustang....
I think I'd better stop buying aircraft...grrrrr

Wish I could offer some help. The only fix I could find for that issue was a complete FSX reistall. A bit radical I agree for a cheap addon, but I was thinking of doing one anyway.

I tried everything I could think of to fix that. CS told me I was the ONLY ONE reporting that issue. Have you raised a ticket with them - pain in **ss that is to do though.

They suugested for me to send them every file that the exe installed!

Tweek
January 22nd, 2010, 08:53
I still maintain the only guaranteed way of fixing the model error/transparent aircraft is to make sure the 747 is there, and if it isn't, reinstalling it (hence, I'm guessing, why Dougal's full reinstall worked). You may well be able to alias the model and panel to other aircraft, although it's a fairly error prone method - I tried it with the CS C-130 VC and nothing showed up, so I did something wrong along the way.

CS should state this, really. It's all very well assuming everyone has the default aircraft installed, but I, personally, have no use for them, and many others don't, either, so there's no reason to keep them where they'll slow down loading times. People need to know that it must be installed for it to work out of the box.

jankees
January 22nd, 2010, 09:01
Yes, I reported it to CS.
Interesting way of reporting a problem they have..no reply yet....

Could somebody maybe send me the files for the 747?

dougal
January 22nd, 2010, 09:08
I still maintain the only guaranteed way of fixing the model error/transparent aircraft is to make sure the 747 is there, and if it isn't, reinstalling it (hence, I'm guessing, why Dougal's full reinstall worked). You may well be able to alias the model and panel to other aircraft, although it's a fairly error prone method - I tried it with the CS C-130 VC and nothing showed up, so I did something wrong along the way.

CS should state this, really. It's all very well assuming everyone has the default aircraft installed, but I, personally, have no use for them, and many others don't, either, so there's no reason to keep them where they'll slow down loading times. People need to know that it must be installed for it to work out of the box.

I did in fact have the default 747 in situ, so no idea what it was that fixed mine.

Tweek
January 22nd, 2010, 09:31
I did in fact have the default 747 in situ, so no idea what it was that fixed mine.

Not sure, then. Very strange. Perhaps corrupted files in the 747 folder. Either way, it's fixed, so that's good.

Jankees, check your PMs.

jankees
January 22nd, 2010, 10:16
Henk, thanks for the offer,
Adam, thank you for your help,
it works!

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6633.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6628.jpg

no sound yet, and the smoke seems too low, but we'll get there...

Tweek
January 22nd, 2010, 10:24
no sound yet, and the smoke seems too low, but we'll get there...

See my post on page 2.

Glad you got it working, too!

jankees
January 22nd, 2010, 10:36
here's my smoke problem:
the exhaust fumes are too low, below the condensation contrails..
That can't be right?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6640.jpg

nice exterior model btw, and those sounds sure sound good too!

Tweek
January 22nd, 2010, 10:58
The problem there is that the smoke is angled downwards. It looks as if they've simply taken the effect from the C-130 which has downward facing exhausts, but the B-52 does not, so that's an error on their part.

However, to alleviate it slightly, you could line up the smoke with the engines properly with this fix (if you haven't already):

centuryseries
January 22nd, 2010, 11:11
The problem there is that the smoke is angled downwards. It looks as if they've simply taken the effect from the C-130 which has downward facing exhausts, but the B-52 does not, so that's an error on their part.

However, to alleviate it slightly, you could line up the smoke with the engines properly with this fix (if you haven't already):

Hi Tweek,

Having worked on the AlphaSim B-52 for FS9 I remember seeing a headon level photo of a B-52G at low level which had smoke being blown slightly downwards due to the wings AOA being fairly steep. Which happens to also be why the real life Buff cruises nose down at Altitude, and also enables that classic Buff nose down take-off stunt at airshows. I don't have the CS Buff, it sure looks good to me and at that price is a bargain.

MenendezDiego
January 22nd, 2010, 11:31
Wow if we could figure out how to get the C-130 pit in there, that'd be awesome!

Scratch
January 22nd, 2010, 17:37
Anybody had any luck aliasing the CS 727 cockpit yet?

JohnC
January 22nd, 2010, 20:15
For those that have it, I've successfully aliased to the Area51-Sim C-5 VC. It's a pretty decent combination if you would really like a military 4-engine cockpit.

Kowalski65
January 23rd, 2010, 02:49
I really like this plane,even with the VC,and especially with the new sounds! I even managed to land it !

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 03:09
JohnC can you post how you did it exactly, I do have the area51 c5.

Bill

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 05:02
Never mind JohnC I figured it out, if anyone is interested you can do the following

1 changes the eyepoint in the CS conifig to

[Views]
eyepoint = 84.8, -2.55, 12.4

2 move the area 51 texture folder to the cs sim folder (I renamed it texture.shared.

3 move the area 51 interior mdl in the model folder to the cs model folder and edit the config to say the following

[models]
normal=CS_B52
interior=Area51_Galaxy_interior.MDL
//interior=..\..\b747_400\model\B747_400_interior

4 then rename the cs b52 panel folder to Orig_panel
and copy the area 51 panel to the cs folder

5 then amend the texture config file in Texture.usaf to say the following

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\texture\night
fallback.3=..\texture\spec
fallback.4=..\texture\bump
fallback.5=..\texture.shared
//fallback.5=..\..\b747_400\Texture\

and that should do it

Bill

P.S. the eyepoint is higher than the B52 but thats how it needs to be

I dont think I missed somthing

Tweek
January 23rd, 2010, 05:17
Hi Tweek,

Having worked on the AlphaSim B-52 for FS9 I remember seeing a headon level photo of a B-52G at low level which had smoke being blown slightly downwards due to the wings AOA being fairly steep. Which happens to also be why the real life Buff cruises nose down at Altitude, and also enables that classic Buff nose down take-off stunt at airshows. I don't have the CS Buff, it sure looks good to me and at that price is a bargain.

Hmm, yes, I can sort of see it from that point of view. Probably one of the limitations of flight sim, as you're not always flying with nose down attitude (for example, when climbing), but then they can't implement seperate effects.

Saying that, I've only got the B-52 to fly with nose down attitude - straight and level - if I've extended the flaps. Flaps up and you have to point it very much forward to keep it going straight. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 05:54
Here are the shockwave lights, I did not do the wings becouse of wingflex.

light.9 = 5, 27.0, 7.0, -12.00, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //rtsideflap
light.10 = 5,36.0, -6.5, -11.50, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //leftsideflap
light.11 = 5,28.1, 4.5, -14.8, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_double_small // gear

Bill

dougal
January 23rd, 2010, 06:01
I only have smoke whilst holding the 'I' key down. Soon as I let go, the smoke's gone.

Any ideas chaps?

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 06:09
Yea I noticed that too, Im working on it ?

Bill

JohnC
January 23rd, 2010, 06:20
As a side note/alternative:

- For modified directories, Rename the new one; Panel becomes Panel.alt

- Then go into the aircraft.cfg and redirect the panel to "alt".

I usually do this with any changes to the sound, panel, or (rarely) model folders or to the .air file. Then, modifications can be saved in a drag and drop state if a future reinstall is needed; plus changes are never made to your modifications during an update, and the only original file you need to back-up is the aircraft.cfg.

Never mind JohnC I figured it out, if anyone is interested you can do the following

1 changes the eyepoint in the CS conifig to

[Views]
eyepoint = 84.8, -2.55, 12.4

2 move the area 51 texture folder to the cs sim folder (I renamed it texture.shared.

3 move the area 51 interior mdl in the model folder to the cs model folder and edit the config to say the following

[models]
normal=CS_B52
//interior=..\..\b747_400\model\B747_400_interior

4 then rename the cs b52 panel folder to Orig_panel
and copy the area 51 panel to the cs folder

5 then amend the texture config file in Texture.usaf to say the following

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\texture\night
fallback.3=..\texture\spec
fallback.4=..\texture\bump
fallback.5=..\texture.shared
//fallback.5=..\..\b747_400\Texture\

and that should do it

Bill

P.S. the eyepoint is higher than the B52 but thats how it needs to be

I dont think I missed somthing

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 06:31
Thanks JohnC, if you followed how I did it then you will need to correct VC light to as follows

//light.8 = 4, 66, 0, 11.19, fx_vclighth
light.8 = 4, 85, 0.0, 11, fx_vclighth,
light.9 = 4, 75, 0.0, 11, fx_vclighth,

otherwise you will not have interior lighting and continue down to light 10,11,12 and put in correct #'s

Bill

JohnC
January 23rd, 2010, 06:36
Got it, thank you.

Also, if the "C-5" label on the yoke is bothering you, you can find it in Pan5.dds. I'm a talentless hack when it comes to Photoshop, so I simply painted it black.

merida72
January 23rd, 2010, 07:15
Hello Guys I would like to share this "doubtful" with you

ok great model and texture

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8799/b525.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/i/b525.jpg/)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4520/b524.th.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/b524.jpg/)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2128/b523.th.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/b523.jpg/)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7385/b522.th.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/b522.jpg/)

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3750/b521.th.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/b521.jpg/)

turn a blind eye to the absence of the virtual cockpit:isadizzy::isadizzy:
close the other eye to the absence of sound:isadizzy:

but mistake or there's aileron animation? :pop4:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/811/b52aileron.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/b52aileron.jpg/)

flaviossa
January 23rd, 2010, 09:10
Good question ...

centuryseries
January 23rd, 2010, 09:27
but mistake or there's aileron animation? :pop4:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/811/b52aileron.jpg (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/b52aileron.jpg/)

The early B-52's had ailerons, these were removed from the design for the G and H models so it IS correct :mixedsmi:

flaviossa
January 23rd, 2010, 09:37
Good answer .... :salute:
heehehe

CG_1976
January 23rd, 2010, 10:29
Here are the shockwave lights, I did not do the wings becouse of wingflex.

light.9 = 5, 27.0, 7.0, -12.00, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //rtsideflap
light.10 = 5,36.0, -6.5, -11.50, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //leftsideflap
light.11 = 5,28.1, 4.5, -14.8, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_double_small // gear

Bill

All worked and did the trick. Thank you now my B-52 is better. Now if only I can figure out how to move the 51 vc to the Alpha c-17.

merida72
January 23rd, 2010, 11:13
The early B-52's had ailerons, these were removed from the design for the G and H models so it IS correct :mixedsmi:

The answer I was hoping :jump:

thank you very much
:icon29:

mib
January 23rd, 2010, 11:55
I love this bomber, symbol of Cold War, with tipical livery: steel and white and blue ribbon.
I like the new low visibilty livery (grey) but I think that the "nuclear livery" is better :D

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 12:07
CG1976 you can do the same with the c17, its basically what I did with the c17 its just that the names changed, Ill post if you like on how to do it.

Bill

CG_1976
January 23rd, 2010, 12:09
CG1976 you can do the same with the c17, its basically what I did with the c17 its just that the names changed, Ill post if you like on how to do it.

Bill

That would be a great double dip day post if you dont mind.:salute:

bruce448
January 23rd, 2010, 12:55

Bill

Here's how I did it

1 change the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg to

[Views]
eyepoint=84.8, -2.55, 12.4

2 copy the area51 texture folder to the C-17 folder (Because there is a folder already called texture.shared, I renamed the new texture folder texture.panel)

3 copy the area51 interior mdl in the model folder to the c-17 model folder and edit the config to say the following

[models]
normal=ALPHA_C-17

4 then rename the c-17 panel folder to Orig_panel
and copy the area 51 panel to the C-17

5 then amend the texture config file all texture.cfg's (one in every texture folder)to say the following

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture.shared
fallback.2=..\texture.bump
fallback.3=..\texture.panel

Bruce

flewpastu
January 23rd, 2010, 13:45
and there you go CG1976 wala , thanks Bruce

Bill

CG_1976
January 23rd, 2010, 13:54
and there you go CG1976 wala , thanks Bruce

Bill

Yep bingo it worked. Thank you Bill and Bruce.

Fireball6
January 24th, 2010, 04:08
Can someone tell me how the Bomb-Doors open ? Did not found a readme-file.

merida72
January 24th, 2010, 04:57
Can someone tell me how the Bomb-Doors open ? Did not found a readme-file.

shift+2 to visual the CS ICON then press the second one

Fireball6
January 24th, 2010, 05:07
Thanks merida72 :jump:

VCN-1
January 24th, 2010, 06:45
Someone got their hands on a paint kit and has some talent.

http://www.captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1264273004

VCN-1

centuryseries
January 24th, 2010, 08:15
Someone got their hands on a paint kit and has some talent.

VCN-1

Looks like our old friend Yago, perhaps?

Personally I've always found photo textures don't fit into my non-photo FSX scenery.

pernik
January 24th, 2010, 10:01
Looks like our old friend Yago, perhaps?

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it, looks very much like the one he did for the AS B-52.

Odie
January 24th, 2010, 10:46
That's a nice repaint.....

ColoKent
January 24th, 2010, 11:16
DOUBLE POST...SORRY

ColoKent
January 24th, 2010, 11:19
....Capt Sim would consider scraping the FLIR turrets off the bottom and sides of the nose, and get rid of the new-era ECM pods so we could have an early H model to paint in that '60s SAC look (hanging a pair of AGM-28 [aka Hound Dogs] would be wonderful, but is probably too much to ask). I'd settle for a FLIR-less version. If they would do that, CHROME DOME II, here I'd come!!!

Kent :salute:

dougal
January 24th, 2010, 11:45
I'm really beginning to like this aircraft.....

wilycoyote4
January 24th, 2010, 12:49
Fireball6----
Download the free manual if it was not in the payware aircraft download. If you have it already then it is in your CaptainSim folder? You will see animations pictured.

b52bob
January 24th, 2010, 14:02
....Capt Sim would consider scraping the FLIR turrets off the bottom and sides of the nose, and get rid of the new-era ECM pods so we could have an early H model to paint in that '60s SAC look (hanging a pair of AGM-28 [aka Hound Dogs] would be wonderful, but is probably too much to ask). I'd settle for a FLIR-less version. If they would do that, CHROME DOME II, here I'd come!!!

Kent :salute:
AMEN!!

strykerpsg
January 24th, 2010, 16:50
Found this at Flightsim.com, though FS9. I even like how they show the view ahead in a seperate panel for the EO nose sensors.

matt

Also, check out Rayman's pics of various skins his buddy has designed...awesome!

Lateral-G
January 25th, 2010, 05:25
OK....call me a hypocrite, I deserve it.....I went ahead and bought the new CS B-52 even though I said I wouldn't buy a half finished product.

But DAMN.......just........DAMN

Those screen shots in the CS email notification saying it was released were too tempting and adding in the price of $15 was the icing on the cake and just made me cave.

I know it has a 747 VC but for now I can live with that because this plane just looks so damn good on the outside. :jump: it flies very nice too!

-G-

Ian Warren
January 25th, 2010, 05:44
Lateral-G ..... you got my vote , what is it with the Boeing company .. they just seem to get right every time .. now with Captsim taken a shot a there nemisis 'the cold war' bomber , there previous history with supreb models , i think we need to egg em on so they can complete this 52

centuryseries
January 25th, 2010, 10:04
Found this at Flightsim.com, though FS9. I even like how they show the view ahead in a seperate panel for the EO nose sensors.

matt

Also, check out Rayman's pics of various skins his buddy has designed...awesome!

Looks like AlphaSims B-52 payware panel bmp has been edited.

Sedr37
January 25th, 2010, 23:55
I know it has a 747 VC but for now I can live with that because this plane just looks so damn good on the outside. :jump: it flies very nice too!

-G-

:ernae: My feelings EXACTLY! This model is superb!
You guess - is this a photo or screenshot??? Unbelievable!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27887&stc=1&d=1264496158

tigisfat
January 26th, 2010, 11:27
I don't know if this has been asked before, and I don't want to read through the entire thread I missed: Can piglet or someone else release a VC?

If Milviz released one of their AWESOME VCs, I'd pay. Doesn't Milviz already have one done? I just can't bring myself to buy it without a VC.

VCN-1
January 26th, 2010, 11:35
I don't know if this has been asked before, and I don't want to read through the entire thread I missed: Can piglet or someone else release a VC?

If Milviz released one of their AWESOME VCs, I'd pay. Doesn't Milviz already have one done? I just can't bring myself to buy it without a VC.

MILVIZ has posted in this thread they are not going to do one.

There are instructions on how to adapt the A51 C5M to the B-52 in this thread.

It is worth the $15.

Apparently there are numerous paint schemes in the works.

VCN-1

wilycoyote4
January 26th, 2010, 12:05
real photos of the default paint may be of some help :guinness:

MenendezDiego
January 26th, 2010, 14:42
Pardon my French...but Oh My ****ing God!

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/jayman9_2009/a1.jpg

Scratch
January 27th, 2010, 13:35
Bump:bump:

krazycolin
January 27th, 2010, 17:18
well.... that's not entirely true anymore...

tigisfat
January 27th, 2010, 17:21

GREAT!! you could corner this.:applause:

Lewis-A2A
January 28th, 2010, 01:30
even without any systems, still be nice to get a good graphical representation, if yer charge as low as the model itself then I'm sure it will fly of the virtual shelfs.

And yes I noticed those skins WIP over at captain sim and my god, totally awesome work, love the rippling effect that is so visible of B52's these days.

hews500d
January 28th, 2010, 04:30
And yes I noticed those skins WIP over at captain sim and my god, totally awesome work, love the rippling effect that is so visible of B52's these days.

My question is, WHAT is causing that rippling effect? Just years of use and landings???

Darrell

Lewis-A2A
January 28th, 2010, 04:42
pretty much, metal expands with heat, years of use etc, etc.

krazycolin
January 28th, 2010, 04:43
My question is, WHAT is causing that rippling effect? Just years of use and landings???

Darrell

Actually, it's caused by the pressurization of the cabin. Note that the only areas on the RS (real steel), are only in the cockpit and tail areas...

kc

tigisfat
January 28th, 2010, 05:55
I wish they showed the ripples on most large military aircraft textures. That's how it is in real life.

centuryseries
January 28th, 2010, 09:38

My opinion is that a B-52 VC with mid level systems is the only thing that would do an exterior of that calibre justice, otherwise it's always going to be a second best.

Just my 2p

rvn817j
January 28th, 2010, 10:05
Someone, please, build a VC for this airplane. This model has so much potential. Thanks.

SolarEagle
January 28th, 2010, 18:48
Pardon my French...but Oh My ****ing God!

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/jayman9_2009/a1.jpg

Unfortunately these have been pulled from the CS site, and it was stated the author doesn't upload publicly.

djscoo
January 28th, 2010, 19:00
Unfortunately these have been pulled from the CS site, and it was stated the author doesn't upload publicly.
Well, we all know who that is now...

MenendezDiego
January 28th, 2010, 19:26
what a dick

SolarEagle
January 28th, 2010, 20:20
Yeah that was my thought. lol

Lima_15
January 28th, 2010, 21:05
real photos of the default paint may be of some help :guinness:

Heyy that was at arctic thunder!!!

Quixoticish
January 28th, 2010, 23:52
I picked this up and I'm thoroughly impressed. If someone were to come up with a suitably priced VC I'd be prepared to pay for it, no worries at all.

hews500d
January 29th, 2010, 04:03
what a dick

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

wilycoyote4
January 29th, 2010, 12:15
Heyy that was at arctic thunder!!!
Correct, 2008, Saturday.

Odie
January 29th, 2010, 13:59
Paintkit has been released. Check your profile area at Captain Sim's site. Download is 42meg.

b52bob
January 29th, 2010, 19:57
Better late than never....WOW, my dream almost come true.

Now for a cold war version, take out all those ugly blisters and put the guns back on. And, while your at it... a couple of hound dogs hanging on the wings with a 4 pack of quails in the bomb bay.

Some people just can't seem to be ever satisfied!

Bob

wombat666
January 30th, 2010, 07:10
what a dick

Settle down, you never know who is monitoring your comments.
:173go1:

jankees
January 30th, 2010, 10:43
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6881.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6892.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6888.jpg

I could do with some input on the tail markings, as good pics are lacking at the moment..

Scratch
January 30th, 2010, 12:51
It sure looks good so far!:ernae:

Tweek
January 30th, 2010, 17:40
There should be some decent photos on Airliners.net. B-52s are regular visitors to RIAT, and I'm sure they are at shows in the States, too. Would have thought there'd be a wealth of photos around (I've got a few myself if you're interested).

VCN-1
January 31st, 2010, 08:22
Texture links are showing up at the Captain Sim Forum.

VCN-1

jankees
January 31st, 2010, 09:13
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6962.jpg

pffff, nearly done..

Roger
January 31st, 2010, 10:00
Anyone get this error message when attempting to purchase?

Software error:

Error in tempfile() using /tmp/FileCache/FetchLinks/b/b/8/XXXXXXXXXX: Could not create temp file /tmp/FileCache/FetchLinks/b/b/8/DSCi5XfuRJ: No space left on device at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Cache/FileBackend.pm line 567</PRE>For help, please send mail to the webmaster (info@captainsim.com (info@captainsim.com)), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Odie
January 31st, 2010, 10:01
Looks great, Jan ! Any chance of getting a SAC white/silver version? Don't recall if this model ever carried it or not, but it sure would look nice.

Rezabrya
January 31st, 2010, 10:53
I also got an error like yours when I tried to purchase Roger.

Edit: Now when I try to login to file a support ticket, it won't let me. Great.

warchild
January 31st, 2010, 11:26
thats looking awesome jan.. hope you add the smiley face :)..

b52bob
January 31st, 2010, 16:29
Looks great, Jan ! Any chance of getting a SAC white/silver version? Don't recall if this model ever carried it or not, but it sure would look nice.
Ollder version had guns, a shortened tail, and no nose add ons. I would still like to see one though

SolarEagle
January 31st, 2010, 19:32
Settle down, you never know who is monitoring your comments.

Interesting comment. lol

Carbine1
January 31st, 2010, 20:08
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6962.jpg

pffff, nearly done..

Very nice work here, where will we see it uploaded to when completed.

Cheers and thanks.

jankees
January 31st, 2010, 21:43
Very nice work here, where will we see it uploaded to when completed.

Cheers and thanks.

here on the outhouse. I tried to finish it during the weekend, but there still are some odds and ends (the thing has 19 texture files!), so you have to have a bit more patience...

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6970.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a6971.jpg

Carbine1
January 31st, 2010, 23:41
No worries on having patience, your work is well worth the wait.

Many thanks for it also.

Cheers.

Roger
February 1st, 2010, 13:04
I also got an error like yours when I tried to purchase Roger.

Edit: Now when I try to login to file a support ticket, it won't let me. Great.

Got an e-mail tonight with the download link. The support e-mail address was supplied with the error message and that's the one I used.

Rezabrya
February 1st, 2010, 13:21
Yep I also just got my e-mail. Looks like maybe their server was down or something.

Ian Warren
February 1st, 2010, 15:15
JAN SUPERB ! :salute: I think the more interest we create with this lovely model the more our friends at Captain Sim will be happy to complete it , looking forward to this one :applause:

SolarEagle
February 1st, 2010, 21:08
Here's a good example of why I'm a spot view flyer, and this plane gives an amazing view. For a model this good I'd buy both a VC and sound pack, but the freeware sounds a still quite nice.

http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/b52_2.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/b52_8.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/b52_9.jpg

SolarEagle
February 1st, 2010, 21:23
Double post. :pop4:

JAllen
February 2nd, 2010, 08:50
Referring to a paint shown earlier, the wrinkled texture is only accurate when the aircraft is on the ground. Inflight photos I have seen do not show that wrinkled effect. Barksdale AFB B52G's never seemed to show much wrinkle at all. Perhaps the hotter climate affects it as well. Does the CS B52 ever open it's eyes? The blisters under the nose are cameras and used extensively for Nav. (FLIR and starlight cameras) All screenies so far show the camera turrets in stowed position.

Jim

Lateral-G
February 2nd, 2010, 10:09
Referring to a paint shown earlier, the wrinkled texture is only accurate when the aircraft is on the ground. Inflight photos I have seen do not show that wrinkled effect. Barksdale AFB B52G's never seemed to show much wrinkle at all. Perhaps the hotter climate affects it as well. Does the CS B52 ever open it's eyes? The blisters under the nose are cameras and used extensively for Nav. (FLIR and starlight cameras) All screenies so far show the camera turrets in stowed position.

Jim

It does not appear that the "eyes" are animated in the model. It would be a nice feature......but I don't think we'll get that.

-G-

jankees
February 3rd, 2010, 04:52
I think I'm more or less finished with this paint, but since I'm no expert on the BUFF, and since my source material was of poor quality, I'm looking for your expert opinions. Undoubtedly, one of you guys has been in close contact with one of these monsters, so, does it look OK, or can you spot any obvious and annoying mistakes??

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7018.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7036.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7037.jpg

JAllen
February 3rd, 2010, 07:30
Very well done. Nice to the beast in colors from my era on the flightline. Liking the soft tones alomost sun bleached which is true to the time. The white radomes tended to yellow slightly over a long time so anyone trying to show a B52 getting close to needing a paint job should show that. I have seen a badly weathered radome with upper edges turning a rusty brown. There is a radar detector antenna in the eyebrow that nearly fills the trapezoid between the triangular sky windows. That antenna was white neoprene coated like the cheek radomes. Sometimes it got painted over and had to be replaced. If that ever got changed to a colored coating it was after I moved on. High power transmitters in the compartments above the belly antennas were silicon oil cooled and resulted in messy streaks eminating from the lowest edges of the compartment doors. Seems to me the FLIR had a thin red high voltage warning stripe around the camera turret. This is the chin bubble on the co-pilot side. Pattern of this marking would need a photo to describe. Chaff dispensers under the wings had oily streaks too. Some of us were a bit careless with the grease. Well these are some details that come to mind. Thank you for the beautiful work, I will take it just as it is. Jim :salute:

centuryseries
February 3rd, 2010, 10:59
Looks great, I think some more dirt and staining is needed for the weary warrior look lol, but it looks great as is.

JAllen
February 3rd, 2010, 12:36
Absolutely! It is awesome! Could not agree more. I think every panel line down the belly was full of black crap. One MITO and soot was covering every oily spot and hand print on that white paint. Curious though, did USAF go to all dark gray before the guns were removed? Did any camo paints like this exist on bombers without guns?

b52bob
February 3rd, 2010, 17:10
Beautiful job but check the tail number. I believe you have a G model there. I remember most were in the series of 0.. on up.

Great job!

Rezabrya
February 3rd, 2010, 19:45
I think this may be one of the best exterior's I have ever seen in FSX. Easy on framerates and it looks incredibly realistic. Hopefull the Milviz VC will complete this model because it looks real from spot view.

jankees
February 4th, 2010, 09:04
Beautiful job but check the tail number. I believe you have a G model there. I remember most were in the series of 0.. on up.

Great job!

I have not found any pics of H's in this scheme, so I left as it is.
You can now download it here (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1036).
Please let me know what you think?

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7019.jpg

do you want the "Mad Bolshevik" / Barksdale paint as well?

rvn817j
February 4th, 2010, 09:20
Jan - Thanks. I'm going to D/L it as soon as I get home from work. (That will be another 4 or 5 hours....can't wait.)

Tweek
February 4th, 2010, 09:29
Thankyou very much, downloaded.

Odie
February 4th, 2010, 10:16
"do you want the "Mad Bolshevik" / Barksdale paint as well?"

Yessir. Great work, Jan!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Lateral-G
February 4th, 2010, 10:18
Thankyou very much, downloaded.

from where?

Odie
February 4th, 2010, 10:56
Click on the "here" link in Jan's post....

jankees
February 4th, 2010, 11:48
Glad you like it, it was a nightmare to paint, 19 textures, and then get the camo pattern right...if you spot any mistakes, please keep quiet...

I'll also upload the Mad Bolshevik, soon I hope, together with a friend:

"Command Decision"

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7117.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7118.jpg

I still have one 'colorful' paint I want to do for this bird...and maybe a few more grey ones..

Odie
February 4th, 2010, 12:11
Good stuff, Jan! Appreciate your efforts!

Carbine1
February 4th, 2010, 13:41
Thank you very much for your work, it looks great in the sim.

Appreciated.

Cheers.

papab
February 4th, 2010, 14:00
Jankees,
Lovely repaint!!!

Thank you very much!
Rick

Cag40Navy
February 4th, 2010, 14:56
man, those paints are stunning! looking forward to you next few ones!:jump:

JAllen
February 4th, 2010, 15:08
I have a really decent nose photo of a Barksdale BUFF called Memphis Belle IV tail number 0001. Like to share it but don't know how to post it. Jan, if you want to see it I can email to you? Jim

JAllen
February 4th, 2010, 16:15
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/../sohforums/albums/thumbs/2/f651736858181cdc960cc7d649dc96da_2461.jpg?dl=12653 32111 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=236&pictureid=2461)

jankees
February 5th, 2010, 00:41
I promised you another colorful paint, well here it is: 61-025 in the colors it wore while flying for NASA from the facility at Dryden, Edwards AFB

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7129.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7134.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7135.jpg

I hope you like it?

Ian Warren
February 5th, 2010, 00:49
JAllen , Jans paints the aircraft , i needed upgrading 2010 so off the tech bookshop in CHCH , Dang ya really can spend some money in a place like that ..... Whoops there go my holiday plans

jankees
February 5th, 2010, 03:11
I just uploaded them on OZx:

link to: Command Decision (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1041)

link to: Mad Bolshevik (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1040)

link to: NASA (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1042)

JAllen
February 5th, 2010, 04:40
Yes Ian, he sure does!!!!! AND every paint he does puts a big smile on your face too! :salute:

Lateral-G
February 5th, 2010, 09:51
Thank you for these Jan! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

-G-

jankees
February 5th, 2010, 09:57
You're quite welcome!

and here is Memphis Belle IV:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7149.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7152.jpg

VCN-1
February 5th, 2010, 10:03
Amazing work!

Thank you so much.

VCN-1

Odie
February 5th, 2010, 10:42
Thanks much, Jan! Great additions to the B-52 hangar!

JAllen
February 5th, 2010, 12:42
How cool is that! WOW beautiful Sir and I am stuck at work!!!! Thank you! Jim T

jankees
February 5th, 2010, 12:52
I still need to upload it...

deathfromafar
February 5th, 2010, 22:43
I bought it finally and the only reason I did was because of the VC now being made. I like this model overall. Christofer's Real Deal TF-33 sounds are quite correct so I use them. I'm not sure who has mentioned this before so I am going to point out what I found wrong. First two things that are glaring are the Main Gear steering. Alphasim's old model didn't model this correctly either. KBT did fairly well on their old freeware model so I suppose it can be done in FSX. No drag chute. These two things should be corrected. The flight model seems okay but I am wondering about the final approach speed light on fuel with full flaps. Stall speed with full flaps in the config shows 112Kias. I am coming in at about 108 and landing at 99Kias. That can't be right. The last item is a relatively minor fix. The Main Gear and Drag Chute are fairly major items to change. Anyhow, $13 so far in the "kit build" fs model isn't bad. Can't wait to patch in the upcoming VC.

jankees
February 6th, 2010, 09:24
The 'Belle' is now available too ---> link (http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1043)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/a7148.jpg

Odie
February 6th, 2010, 11:35
Good stuff, Jan !:applause:

jankees
February 6th, 2010, 12:17
Good stuff, Jan !:applause:

Glad you like it,

but it's Jan Kees actually...I know, it is confusing, two first names..

just remember a certain baseball team..

or check the origin of the term Yankee on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee)...

Personally, I blame my parents...

Odie
February 6th, 2010, 14:09
Opps...my bad...Jan Kees !

Lateral-G
February 8th, 2010, 18:16
Thanks for the Belle Jan Kees.

One question though...is the fin flash supposed to be blue? Reason I ask is I built a 1/144 model of this aircraft and was contacted by a B/N that flew the exact airplane I depicted and he told me I had it spot on....

my model:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/jbrundt/B-52H/B-52H_2a.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/jbrundt/B-52H/B-52H_4a.jpg

-G-

jankees
February 9th, 2010, 09:44
Blue? Maybe, but not according to this (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1050/3169030086_e185dbf46e_b.jpg) image which I used for information.
Other Barksdale B-52's do seem to have a blue stripe on the tail, like this one (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2733/4170276556_52e597ef53_b.jpg), and one of the other paints I did, the Mad Bolshevik.
I can't just go and have a look, so I depend on images I find, but perhaps someelse has a better pic of the 'Belle?

BTW, I also notice different markings/numbers on the tail in my paint and pic and your model, perhaps these things change over time?

JAllen
February 9th, 2010, 12:49
Over time the Belle or any other aircraft can be assigned to different squadrons. So the fin flash can be red, yellow or blue depending on point in time. After a trip to the depot for mods and maintenance she comes back with a new paint and no squadron marking, I think. That is applied once her squadron assignment is decided. I have noticed in recent years, all B52s I have seen, are carrying nose art on both sides. Every time I see one at Nellis I have to go look.

JAllen
February 9th, 2010, 12:53
Anybody know why my Cougar HOTAS loses aileron and elevator control on the B52? Almost seems like changing views causes loss of control. Only the BUFF too!

tigisfat
February 9th, 2010, 20:22
I bought it finally and the only reason I did was because of the VC now being made.
From Captainsim or milviz?

Sedr37
February 12th, 2010, 01:26
From milviz

SirBenn21
February 12th, 2010, 02:30
I just bought the Buff. :jump:

How long before the VC is released? I love these big birds. Another question. How much dynamic will be incorporated in the VC. Anything like the C130?

Ben

krazycolin
February 12th, 2010, 04:04
Dynamic? Wazzat?

As far as release date goes... well.. it's ready when it's ready. Which means, not yet but soon(ish).

I can tell you this much: Darrell is working like a crazy man to get it just right!

kc

noddy
February 12th, 2010, 04:20
Can't wait, will finish this model off very nicely.

SirBenn21
February 12th, 2010, 04:37
Dynamic? Wazzat?

As far as release date goes... well.. it's ready when it's ready. Which means, not yet but soon(ish).

I can tell you this much: Darrell is working like a crazy man to get it just right!

kc

That's my poor English for fully modeled, not just switches & knobs for show.

krazycolin
February 12th, 2010, 06:26
It will not be fully functional in terms of systems. If it were, it would cost upwards of 50 bucks PLUS it would take years. we're keeping it simple and working within the constraints of FSX defaults for the most part.

Sorry about this but it's the way of things.

kc

hews500d
February 12th, 2010, 06:30
Dynamic? Wazzat?

kc

:icon_lol: I only jumped out the 2nd floor window twice last night :sleep:

Seriously though, she's coming along just fine, may post some pics this weekend, but no promises on that just yet

...that is if this darn snow will stop falling and quick knocking the power out:mixedsmi:

Odie
February 12th, 2010, 06:49
It will not be fully functional in terms of systems. If it were, it would cost upwards of 50 bucks PLUS it would take years. we're keeping it simple and working within the constraints of FSX defaults for the most part.

kc

No apologies needed, KC ! You're making a good model better and everyone's work is very much appreciated!

rvn817j
February 12th, 2010, 07:55
No high expectations (but I know you will do better than that), just looking for a better...well...LOOK. Take your time, do it right, I'll reserve some of my line of credit for this VC. Thanks.

Ian Warren
February 12th, 2010, 11:30

kc

Superb , Thanks KC ... PS : I would pay 50 Bucks and upwards
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

krazycolin
February 12th, 2010, 11:49
You would be one of the phew!!!

:salute:

kc

tigisfat
February 12th, 2010, 14:52
You would be one of the phew!!!

:salute:

kc

Kolin, I'd be the most happy if it simply maintained the same aesthetic quality and texture styles as your other realized VCs. VCs are Milviz's biggest impact on flight simming for the last few years, IMO. Is it going to be too much to ask to be able to start and shutdown engines from the VC, plus have some access to basic nav/autopilot gear? MAybe light controls? I don't care how accurate it is.

dharris
February 13th, 2010, 05:52
For you "BUFF" fans..........https://www.historicaviation.com/product_info.po?ID=14321&product=Models+and+Kits&category=military&subcategory=Modern Bombers

crashbar
March 10th, 2010, 02:59
Any updates on the VC. So glad to see someone take this great model and give us a VC. Capitain Sim made no sense to me on this one but it looks like they'll owe you guys for the sell now that their be a vc. :applause::applause:

krazycolin
March 10th, 2010, 05:36
@tigisfat: we're not going to far with the code... a little further than the default but not much more. We'll see..

@everyone else: you will see it when it's done. Which isn't yet.

flaviossa
March 10th, 2010, 05:52
we're not going to far with the code... a little further than the default but not much more. We'll see..

Iīm very happy with that! Thanks! :salute:
Just a question: If you already decided that, It will be sell with an installer or a ZIP file? I vote for a ZIP file where we can manage the installation better. (If my vote count on anything of course :) )

Thanks for the great job!

GZR_Sactargets
March 10th, 2010, 12:07
You get what you pay for! As an old Buff crewdog, I waited very patiently for this one. The exteriors are great and I have been messing around trying to find a panel to use that is better. As far as performance, the Buff wing was set at an angle of attack that literally let it fly itself off the runway. It doesn't take a lot of control input to lift off. I found it all to be functional although the lack of a decent cockpit is disappointing. HOWEVER, It was not advertised to have one. It is as it says, Exteriors! At the price it is just fine! :applause:

tigisfat
March 10th, 2010, 20:49
....the Buff wing was set at an angle of attack that literally let it fly itself off the runway. It doesn't take a lot of control input to lift off.....

Sactargets,

What you're referring to is called "angle of incidence". The Angle Of Attack is the angular difference between the wing chord and the relative wind.