PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this now?

falcon409
January 17th, 2010, 06:17
What is BitDefender Quick Scan? Now this thing wants to run constantly in the back ground and when I click on the icon to bring it up, it scans (32bit area only). Never heard of it and don't care about it. This is most likely something left over from the Antivirus live fiasco last night.

Snuffy
January 17th, 2010, 06:23
Ed,

I run several programs on my computer for protection and cleaning.
I have the windows live which comes with anti-virus ... of course I have windows firewall activated.

But I run on a weekly basis, 3 programs called Spyhunter, Registry Mechanic, and Crapcleaner. I run these programs in the order listed. The first two are good, but anything left behind gets nailed by cc.

Of the three, the Crapcleaner is a freeware program and it does wonders, not much gets by it. (Be careful with this one too, if you can't remember passwords to all the sites you visit as they'll be history once run. I run all options on with the exception of the wipe disc function.)

Good luck on your fight.

harleyman
January 17th, 2010, 06:58
I only run PCTools...I have never seen a virus past it on over 150 computers that I install it on...

falcon409
January 17th, 2010, 07:04
Ok, but. . . .what is bitdefender Quick scan?

TheOptimist
January 17th, 2010, 07:23
The way to sort these things out is just to google them. From a quick search it looks like it is a valid anti-virus program which was most likely bundled with something you downloaded last night. Have a look on google and there'll be a solution somewhere.

glennc
January 17th, 2010, 07:25
Ed, Bitdefender is a commercial package like Trend Micro and Norton. I didn't do a lot a looking at the details, but there is a web based scan version and you can buy it off the shelf at places like Frys. Norton says bitdefender.com is a safe site.

Glenn

falcon409
January 17th, 2010, 07:40
Yep, I'm aware of how to google for info thanks Optimist. I had already done that before I posted the thread. But since I didn't download it, or click anything to have it installed, despite what I found on the internet, I wanted to find out from others what it might be hiding. There was no installation folder of any kind. . .it just seemed to be running without any visible program hierarchy. I don't care whether a website says it's safe or not. . .after last evening my immediate concern was that this was riding on the coattails of AntiVirus-Live.

At any rate, since the uninstall procedures for BitDefender were useless, I've gone through manually and removed every reference I could find and it still remains in the task bar. Grrrrr:isadizzy:

falcon409
January 17th, 2010, 08:21
This turns out to be a Firefox _addon. Uninstalled and the quickscan is gone, alleluia!!