PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions for some smart people.

TheOptimist
January 16th, 2010, 17:17
Hello all, I have a few questions, I wonder if anyone can give me some answers?

1. Why do FS9 planes lag on my PC, and is there a solution? They only lag in external views, rarely in the VC. A good example is the Mig-21 on the first page at the moment. In the VC it's fine, outside it's unflyable.

2. What is it that stops certain planes being recordable with FSRecorder, and is there a solution to this? I only need the external model recordable.

Thank you in advance for your help! :ernae:

Lionheart
January 16th, 2010, 18:02
Hey optomist,

I believe you might have FSX Accelleration running with SP2 and you probably have DX10 running as well as your graphics engine.

If that is the case, then the graphics (BMP Bitmaps) are not as fluid running in DX10 as with DDS textures that are flipped vertically.

DDS runs more faster in FSX DX10 with SP2.

DDS is flipped upside down, as that is how everything is seen (including with humans when they are first born) and are flipped on the monitor at the end. THey tried to speed up graphics speed reading of the game engine by having the graphics pre-flipped. Also, having them in DDS format helps with resolutions and again, speed of reading the bitmap/DDS art.

With SP1 running in DirectX9, your Bitmaps (BMP textures) should run fine in it.

As for the models, I believe the models all perform the same, 'materials' aside.

On a side note, famed FS modeller Wozza found out that you can create a set of DDS Material copies of your Bitmaps and run your FS9 plane in FSX in DirectX10 perfectly fine and with good performance. Just remember to take out the older Bitmaps after creating a fresh set of DDS copies, and remember the copies in DDS must be flipped vertically.. (not rotated 180 degree's, but flipped vertically only).

Bill

TheOptimist
January 16th, 2010, 18:09
Bill - thanks for your input.

You are correct in assuming I have acceleration installed, as well as both the service packs (I think...I just installed everything that came on the discs...)

However I am not running in DX10, I am in DX9.

You'll have to forgive me but I'm not particularly clever when it comes to this kind of stuff. What would your solution be perhaps, given the information I've provided?

All of the FS9 planes are installed correctly etc.

To give you an idea of the frame impact, when I'm using a FSX native aircraft/am in the VC of an FS9 aircraft I typically get 50-60 fps on my settings. If I switch to the external view of the FS9 models I might get 10-12.

As for the question regarding models - there are some that definately don't work. I havn't posted anything on the FSRecorder forum yet since I thought I'd ask here with my other question.

Lewis-A2A
January 16th, 2010, 18:40
That is the bad thing in using old fs9 models in the new FSX environment. You can get weird results and FPS do tend to suffer.

There is no real cure as it can be different on different systems. I know many here including myself (Esp after SP2/Acceleration) now stick to FSX only aircraft.

However there are many who still enjoy fs9 models in fsx the later fs9 models tend to work best, but I do believe they all do tend to require at least a litle tweaking to get working correctly, esp true with glass/windows/transparency issues.

Its probably best to go over each model one at a time and as you come across problems post at this forum and I'm sure the kind members will be able to help you out esp if you need help converting textures and such like.

TheOptimist
January 16th, 2010, 18:43
Well to be perfectly honest I'm not a huge fan of FS9 models anyway. I'm spoilt with the detail afforded in FSX.

However there are a couple I'd like to get working better. The VC/glass etc is all fine, as are the external textures and so on.

Edit: New development; If I stop the engine, the frame rates increase big time....eh?

Lewis-A2A
January 16th, 2010, 18:50
gauges can work differently between the sims too so it may be gauge issue on your system

Lionheart
January 16th, 2010, 21:08
Lewis is on it. It could be a gauge issue you are having. Try some other planes and see how they do. Planes that are from a different group then the first.

Roger here at SOH flies a ton of FS9 planes on his rig and they fly fine. He is the one to ask concerning getting them running right. But as like Lewis states, some rigs handle things totally different then others when it comes to FSX.

Bill

TheOptimist
January 16th, 2010, 21:40
A gauge issue? But surely the fact that frames are fine within the VC's suggests it's got nothing to do with the gauges?

Will wait for Roger to post and see what he thinks!

Thanks for your help so far.

harleyman
January 16th, 2010, 23:18
A gauge issue? But surely the fact that frames are fine within the VC's suggests it's got nothing to do with the gauges?

Will wait for Roger to post and see what he thinks!

Thanks for your help so far.

Frames can be fine in VC mode and bad in external with guages that FSX does not like...

Its all part of the FS9 bugs and FSX...LOl It can be odd at times