PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

jmig
January 16th, 2010, 05:11
Guys, As the newest SOH staff member, it was an eye opener for me to see what it costs to keep SOH online. Since SOH doesn't get advertisement money like AVSIM or FlightSim, the money must come from either the site owner or us, the members.

The site owner cannot afford to pay some seven grand each year from his pocket, so we can enjoy the best SOH has to offer. Those of us who come here regularly and consider SOH an internet home need to be willing to help support "OUR" site.

I know there are many of you who come here to the FSX forum regularly who have not contributed. If you haven't already donated to keep the SOH bandwidth drive, I ask that you consider sending in a few dollars.

I understand that times are really tough. We all know of friends here who have lost their jobs and who are struggling. SOH is a place where many of us meet real friends. Friends, whom we have met here. I ask you to see if you can send in $5, $10, $25 or more. Every bit helps.

Thanks,

Chacha
January 16th, 2010, 07:19
That is so true, John!

jojohnson9
January 16th, 2010, 07:30
Hope my donation helps keep SOH going. I'm retired and visit this sight about ten times a day. Not only is it great to read all the interesting posts, but I have gotten help with problems to FSX that I had no clue how to fix. The heads up to new aircraft and scenery gets me to things I never would have found on my own.
Keep up the great work.
John

6297J
January 16th, 2010, 07:38
Guys, As the newest SOH staff member, it was an eye opener for me to see what it costs to keep SOH online.
The site owner cannot afford to pay some seven grand each year from his pocket, so we can enjoy the best SOH has to offer.

I'd like to see what it costs to keep SOH online. How does that seven grand break down? What do our donations pay for? I'm only asking because I can't even pretend to know what sort of costs are involved in keeping a site like this going and as it was an eye opener for you I'd be interested to know more.

harleyman
January 16th, 2010, 08:26
I'd like to see what it costs to keep SOH online. How does that seven grand break down? What do our donations pay for? I'm only asking because I can't even pretend to know what sort of costs are involved in keeping a site like this going and as it was an eye opener for you I'd be interested to know more.

I don't pay the bills here but.....

Bandwidth...bandwidth...and more bandwidth

Software to run the board (yearly)

protection to keep it safe from hackers

HDDs to keep it backed up almost daily

maintance

and a small reserve to help incase of server failure

Oh...We try to buy Ickie at least one beer daily for the 18 plus hours he puts in almost daily to keep us up and running

Chacha
January 16th, 2010, 09:13
Seven Thousand US Dollars is to pay for the Bandwidth alone...

That is yearly...

Donations are for anyone who wants to help, we have donations yearly.... we do not implement/forced donations...

Donation is a gift...

We have to pay the bills first quarter of the year or we close!

That does not include the protection we get 24/7/365 days a year....

That does not include 24/7/365 days of Ickie's two computers running to monitor the site...

That does not include Ickie's headache when the site got hacked and sweat and tears if someone attack him personally....

That does not include his most trusted SOH Staff and SOH Administrator and Senior Administrators extending helping hands to make this site running for enjoyment of everyone like you.....

That does not include the give aways that Ickie gather for everyone....

I can go on and on and this page will be filled with what you and others get for free in this site....

Remember,

The services that is mentioned here is FREE......

Thank you for your inquiry!

6297J
January 16th, 2010, 09:31
Thanks. I had some idea but no in depth knowledge of such things, hence the enquiry. I may well donate at some point but to be honest any extra cash I have at the moment is going to disaster relief in Haiti - you will understand I'm sure how that takes preference right now and after being out of work for much of last year, I simply can't do both. Good luck with the campaign though.
:ernae:

Incidentally, I'm sure if you held a Poll most visitors here would not object to see advertising banners on the site if it would help to pay the bills without having to do this every year. To be honest I hardly notice them on other sites but if they bring in the cash then why not?

harleyman
January 16th, 2010, 09:50
Thanks. I had some idea but no in depth knowledge of such things, hence the enquiry. I may well donate at some point but to be honest any extra cash I have at the moment is going to disaster relief in Haiti - you will understand I'm sure how that takes preference right now and after being out of work for much of last year, I simply can't do both. Good luck with the campaign though.

Incidentally, I'm sure if you held a Poll most visitors here would not object to see advertising banners on the site if it would help to pay the bills without having to do this every year. To be honest I hardly notice them on other sites but if they bring in the cash then why not?

Thanks..We only ask for those that can..many can and many can't..That is all Ok...

We certainly understand giving to the Hatian fund at this time too...

I believe the owner wants no banners here..I concur with that decission too...

jmig
January 16th, 2010, 11:18

snip

I would like to reply to your post, Sir. However, I speak not only to you but, to all who may be considering donating but are a bit apprehensive. I pray that my words carry the message that is in my heart and that my meaning is not misunderstood.

The disaster in Haiti is beyond our comprehension. The poverty in Haiti is real poverty, not the poverty that is used as a political ball in this country and elsewhere. I know a Catholic Priest who runs a school and medical clinic in Haiti. One year he came to local churches and begged that we provide him with money to buy $20 pots. He said that each pot resented the ability for a woman to feed her family and wash clothes. When people cannot afford a $20 cooking pot, that is poverty.

The US, Canada, Britain, Germany, and many other countries throughout the world will give billions of dollars to try and help these people. Sadly, if history follows its usual patterns, a sizable portion of it will be diverted into Swiss bank accounts to benefit powerful political individuals. A year from now, two years, five years, the poor Haitian people with be just as poor and destitute as they were before the earthquake and the world will have forgotten about them.

I am not saying, do not give to Haiti. What I am saying is that $25 will, in my belief, do more to help keep SOH serving you than it will do amongst all the millions and billions of our tax dollars that will be sent. No one here makes a salary. From Ickie on down we do it because we love SOH and want to maintain the friendly, family atmosphere for which SOH is known. However, to do so, we need your contributions.

If you give to Haiti, I recommend you send your money to a reputable chairity with whom you are familiar rather than an internet "Haiti Relief...". Too often these so-called charities pop up collect money from people wanting to help and fatten their own bank accounts.

There will always be disasters like Haiti. Generous charitable people will respond in many ways. There is only one SOH, only we will keep it going.

Thank you,

6297J
January 16th, 2010, 12:14
I would like to reply to your post, Sir. However, I speak not only to you but, to all who may be considering donating but are a bit apprehensive. I pray that my words carry the message that is in my heart and that my meaning is not misunderstood.

The disaster in Haiti is beyond our comprehension. The poverty in Haiti is real poverty, not the poverty that is used as a political ball in this country and elsewhere. I know a Catholic Priest who runs a school and medical clinic in Haiti. One year he came to local churches and begged that we provide him with money to buy $20 pots. He said that each pot resented the ability for a woman to feed her family and wash clothes. When people cannot afford a $20 cooking pot, that is poverty.

The US, Canada, Britain, Germany, and many other countries throughout the world will give billions of dollars to try and help these people. Sadly, if history follows its usual patterns, a sizable portion of it will be diverted into Swiss bank accounts to benefit powerful political individuals. A year from now, two years, five years, the poor Haitian people with be just as poor and destitute as they were before the earthquake and the world will have forgotten about them.

I am not saying, do not give to Haiti. What I am saying is that $25 will, in my belief, do more to help keep SOH serving you than it will do amongst all the millions and billions of our tax dollars that will be sent. No one here makes a salary. From Ickie on down we do it because we love SOH and want to maintain the friendly, family atmosphere for which SOH is known. However, to do so, we need your contributions.

If you give to Haiti, I recommend you send your money to a reputable chairity with whom you are familiar rather than an internet "Haiti Relief...". Too often these so-called charities pop up collect money from people wanting to help and fatten their own bank accounts.

There will always be disasters like Haiti. Generous charitable people will respond in many ways. There is only one SOH, only we will keep it going.

Thank you,

My head is still spinning from reading this but are you seriously saying that we should let other people worry about healing, feeding and housing the Haitians and concentrate on the really important things in life like Sim-Outhouse? My donation would be better spent on the upkeep of this forum because if I give it to help support the innocent victims of a natural disaster it will probably just be wasted?? I am astonished!! Personally if giving a few quid to help someone in Haiti survive the night, let alone what might happen to them in two or five years time - if it was a choice between that and this forum closing forever it would be the easiest choice I've ever had to make. And I'm horrified to think I might be sharing this forum with anyone who would do otherwise.
As I said I was considering sending a donation here in the future, fortunes permitting. I think you've just persuaded me not to :isadizzy:

Tim-HH
January 16th, 2010, 12:30
John, your posting makes me speechless...

djscoo
January 16th, 2010, 12:34
I think that Haiti comment was out of line... Right now the entire country is in turmoil, aid isn't coming as fast as they need it. It's probably the worst possible situation in terms of actually getting help to those who need it. giving money is the only way the average person can help, and I don't see how anyone with half a heart could look at these people and say 'they've got enough help already'.

Flight simulation is a hobby. The Haitian situation is real, human lives...thousands of them.

stiz
January 16th, 2010, 12:38
i dont think jmig ment what he said to sound like "give your money to us and not them", which seems to be how some people are takeing it as. :engel016:

Bjoern
January 16th, 2010, 12:48
i dont think jmig ment what he said to sound like "give your money to us and not them", which seems to be how some people are takeing it as. :engel016:

Didn't take it in an offensive way either.

djscoo
January 16th, 2010, 12:49

That sounds like a 'we need it more than them' statement to me...That's what I was responding to.

What I took from that was that a donation to SOH will benefit you(the donor) more than a donation to the Red Cross...perhaps true, but a donation to the Red Cross is helping many people by providing them with basic supplies and medical care.

kack911
January 16th, 2010, 13:06
Nothing he said is even remotely offensive if you take the time to actually read what was said.

He correctly pointed out that billions of dollars from all over the world are flowing into Haiti now and for the foreseeable future. He also correctly pointed out that a substantial portion of the money donated will be misappropriated, and will never directly or indirectly benefit the people you're trying to help.

That being the case, he pointed out that you would see a more tangible benefit from your donation to SOH because you KNOW where it's going, you KNOW who it helped, and you KNOW you made a difference.

Finally, he pointed out that if you ARE going to donate to the relief fund, that you should do so only through a reputable charity, so as to reduce the chances that your money will be used for something other than its intended purpose.

What's wrong with any of that?

If you want to take a shot in the dark that your money MIGHT help someone in a place where no amount of money will change the long-term living conditions, then please, donate it to a Haiti relief fund. You're a good person for doing so.

If, on the other hand, you want to have complete security of where your money is going, and who it's helping, then donate it to SOH. You're STILL a good person for doing so.

And for the record, I'm unemployed, broke, and can't contribute to either cause...Before somebody asks/accuses.

spotlope
January 16th, 2010, 13:25
Thanks to a great many 'simmers, I've got some money to donate this year. SOH got some of it. Banana Bob got some, and the Haitian relief effort definitely got some via a group that I know to be not only reputable, but doing the best work possible. The Haitian tragedy is gut-wrenching, and I'm sure they could use all the help they can get. Let's not forget that there are always others who need our help, natural disaster or not. That doesn't mean we stop supporting one another here, anymore than the fact that there's a homeless guy outside my grocery stops me from having a Starbuck's now and then. It's important to give, but pointless to beat one another up over it. And now I've probably said too much, so I'll stop. :monkies:

heywooood
January 16th, 2010, 13:36
this looks like a classic miss-understanding and I don't think anyone should jump to the conclusions that were..errm..jumped to

Please take a deep breath and remember that it is possible to make mistakes when trying to convey an idea - and possible to take things people say too literally

We ALL hope and pray that the loss of life and other terrible human struggles can be minimized in Haiti by working and contibuting to provide aid as best we can.

lets not melt down here over this simple miss understanding please

PRB
January 16th, 2010, 13:46
Nothing he said is even remotely offensive if you take the time to actually read what was said.

He correctly pointed out that billions of dollars from all over the world are flowing into Haiti now and for the foreseeable future. He also correctly pointed out that a substantial portion of the money donated will be misappropriated, and will never directly or indirectly benefit the people you're trying to help.

That being the case, he pointed out that you would see a more tangible benefit from your donation to SOH because you KNOW where it's going, you KNOW who it helped, and you KNOW you made a difference.

Finally, he pointed out that if you ARE going to donate to the relief fund, that you should do so only through a reputable charity, so as to reduce the chances that your money will be used for something other than its intended purpose.

What's wrong with any of that? ...

This is the way I read John's comments as well. Help out of you can. That's all that's being asked here.

Chacha
January 16th, 2010, 14:13
Thanks Kack911....

Thanks Paul....

Help if you can.... Thanks....

Cloud9Gal
January 16th, 2010, 15:40

If you want to take a shot in the dark that your money MIGHT help someone in a place where no amount of money will change the long-term living conditions, then please, donate it to a Haiti relief fund. You're a good person for doing so.

If, on the other hand, you want to have complete security of where your money is going, and who it's helping, then donate it to SOH. You're STILL a good person for doing so.

And for the record, I'm unemployed, broke, and can't contribute to either cause...Before somebody asks/accuses.

kack911~ I could not have said it any better! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

spotlope~ Great message as well! Thanks for sharing!

There is no ill intent with John's post. I actually agree with most of what he said.

At the end of the day, it's each and everyone's own decision as to where they choose to donate their funds.

Thank you in advance everyone!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs101.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Z-PurpleBubble
January 16th, 2010, 16:10

Thank you,

I'm sorry, but jmig was clearly saying something like "don't waste your money on Haïti, but rather give it to SOH".

That is beyond me, it really is. How can anyone be so cold-hearted.

I'm not religious myself, but that is probably the single most unchristian thing that I ever read in my life.

Chacha
January 16th, 2010, 16:13

I'm sorry, but jmig was clearly saying something like "don't waste your money on Haïti, but rather give it to SOH".

That is beyond me, it really is. How can anyone be so cold-hearted.

I'm not religious myself, but that is probably the single most unchristian thing that I ever read in my life.

Purple Buble...

Please reread Jmig's statement...

Z-PurpleBubble
January 16th, 2010, 16:44
Purple Buble...

Please reread Jmig's statement...

I have Chacha, I have.

And I chose to donate to the Red Cross instead. I was actually considering donating to SOH for the first time, but jmig did a brilliant job at turning me away from that.

But I feel much better now. My conscience is clear.

stiz
January 16th, 2010, 17:15
one question ... do people donate regulary to charietys ... or only when its really "needed" ............

..... and before you all jump dont my throut .... think about it for a second ...

Henry
January 16th, 2010, 17:19
I have Chacha, I have.

And I chose to donate to the Red Cross instead. I was actually considering donating to SOH for the first time, but jmig did a brilliant job at turning me away from that.

But I feel much better now. My conscience is clear.
and how long have you been a member here?
you just decided that you could donate but not now because of a statement
actually if you want to donate to Haiti the red cross is not the best way
seems to me someone is just causing a little rucus
just my views
and my memories
H

Z-PurpleBubble
January 16th, 2010, 17:23
I donate monthly. To charities that is, not to hobbies.

Z-PurpleBubble
January 16th, 2010, 17:43
and how long have you been a member here?
you just decided that you could donate but not now because of a statement
actually if you want to donate to Haiti the red cross is not the best way
seems to me someone is just causing a little rucus
just my views
and my memories
H

Henry,

The time that I've been a member here in this context is totally irrelevant
I said that I was contemplating donating to soh, not that I decided to
The choice of where I send my money to is mine, no one else
And finally no, I do not want to start a little rucus here, I'm thoroughly disgusted by jmigs comments.

TIA

Henry
January 16th, 2010, 17:54
Henry,

The time that I've been a member here in this context is totally irrelevant
I said that I was contemplating donating to soh, not that I decided to
The choice of where I send my money to is mine, no one else
And finally no, I do not want to start a little rucus here, I'm thoroughly disgusted by jmigs comments.

TIA
maybe im getting tired and disgusted with yours
if you can read a post wrong so can I
im not nor is anyone else making your choice what do do with your money it is yours
btw i guess WOS does not recieve donations anymore
H

heywooood
January 16th, 2010, 18:11
is all of this really necessary?

news bulletin: Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck are idiots

dollars sent to Haiti for the purpose of supplying food, water, and medicine not to mention the necessary cleanup and sanitation of all those thousands of persons who are now deceased should NEVER be politicized.

the idea of it is as disgusting to me as those three people are

I understand SoH's need for donations, just as I understand the humanitarian needs of the people - the multinational people - who are victims of a terrible natural disaster in Haiti...the two needs are seperate and unequal...and I have just as much control over how my donations are spent in both cases. NONE.

I must trust that it will be spent properly but I - and none of us - has any guarantee

That is why trust - and the betrayal of trust - is such a big deal to me.. because trust is all we have between us...after you strip away the BS

djscoo
January 16th, 2010, 19:12
Stiz:
If you are trying to point out the hippocracy of whats going on in regards to people all of a sudden crying for help, and portraying themselves as philanthropists...good for you, but it isn't helping.

Jmig:
I guess I kinda understand what you were trying to say, but I think it's reckless to persuade someone not to give to charity, and it was way too easily misunderstood...

Henry:
This is like the third time I've seen you accuse PurpleBubble of being a pirate...am I missing something?

I get too worked up over arguing with semi-anonymous people on the internet...:running:

DX-FMJ
January 16th, 2010, 19:18
maybe im getting tired and disgusted with yours
if you can read a post wrong so can I
im not nor is anyone else making your choice what do do with your money it is yours
btw i guess WOS does not recieve donations anymore
H

good thing your an admin eh? check diaper

Gramps
January 16th, 2010, 19:48
good thing your an admin eh? check diaper

You might ought to be checkin yours.

mariereid
January 17th, 2010, 02:24
We should be doing all we can to help every living thing on this planet. The rich shoud be helping the poor. We should be thinking like this everyday. The people who give the most are the ones who have been very poor and got a few breaks in life and now can help others. We are all very rich, compared to most of the world. Everyone who can, send some money to help out in Haiti. These people may only get a fraction of what you send, still the more we send, the more they recieve.
As for SOH donations, if you can help out, please do. I believe about 400 members will donate. Those people are the ones keeping this place going for the rest of us. Most of them do it year after year. They are the reasons thousands of us get to enjoy being able to come here. They are the ones who deserve a big thank you from the rest of us. :salute:

JorisVandenBerghe
January 17th, 2010, 02:27
Read this carefully!

1) @ 6297J, Tim-HH, and the others:

If you'd read John's post carefully :):

I am not saying, do not give to Haiti. What I am saying is that $25 will, in my belief, do more to help keep SOH serving you than it will do amongst all the millions and billions of our tax dollars that will be sent.

2) Please, everyone, calm down, for God's sake :stop:. And I'm not only talking to users, but as well to the forum staff. Henry, I'm sorry, I don't like the way Purple Bubble misunderstood John's message either. But please, do not start using that kind of tone. The same goes for Gramps. It's not because someone's insulting a fellow of you, you should start doing the same :stop:! We're all big boys & girls...:mixedsmi:

3) I do understand some people get angry, I'm a forum administrator myself over at Flightlevel (www.flightlevel.be/forum/index.php). I know it is difficult when someone is not behaving like he should or saying things you don't like at all. But stay calm. Do not start insulting each other because it simply won't help at all. Au contraire!

I can get the point of people who might misunderstood what John really meant. He wasn't saying "donate to SOH, we need it more than the people of Haiti". Just reread it, first paragraph of this post.

Hope this helps clearing out the mess a bit.

Z-PurpleBubble
January 17th, 2010, 03:02
Oh, don't worry, I'm refraining from making more comments.

For the pure and simple reason that speaking your mind on this "friendly, warm and familly oriented forum" only results in character bashing and unfounded accusations about piracy.

harleyman
January 17th, 2010, 03:21
Ladies and Gentlemen..

Please understand that it is all but impossible at times to read correctly the written worn in a forum post. At least its true intensions..We have charecter and language barriers here as all forums do.

I am not defending John because he is Staff here, but because I know him personally, and understood his true meanings behind his post..

Trust me, John is an outstanding gentleman, and NEVER meant that you should not give to a cause such as Hati , but place that at a playground instead.

For those that read into his words incorectly..That is just what it was. Interpited wrongly I assure you.

For that reason I am closing this thread. but leaving it up for all to see, reread, and understand..

Thanks to all that support the efforts in Hati, and here at SOH too !