PDA

View Full Version : Staples PC Tech?

Corsair Freak
November 2nd, 2008, 18:19
Hi all,

Does anyone here work as a PC Tech at Staples or know someone who does? The local Staples is hiring and I'm thinking about applying but I'm not sure what the requirements are. In the very vague job description they mentioned installing memory, hard drives, and modems. I'm no computer expert but that's pretty easy stuff. I'm going to school for a Network Systems Administrator degree so I don't have any certificates or anything yet. I really need a job but I refuse to flip burgers. :d

CF

Piglet
November 2nd, 2008, 18:21
Just go and apply. Worse thing that can happen is that you are not hired. Then just go find something else.

srgalahad
November 2nd, 2008, 19:15
Often enthusiasm and a good work ethic will go a long way. If it's not a one-person shop you may get some good hands-on training and they probably will look well on your current studies along with basic knowledge.
If not.. you'll know what you need next time. I don't know bout Staples in teh US, but north of the border most stores seem to treat their staff well and retain them.

Rob

hey_moe
November 3rd, 2008, 01:53
If I had my life to live over again I would try and either get a job in Civil Service or go into the Air Force. The Government has great benefits and retirement. Plus I don't thing they will ever go out of business.

HundertzehnGustav
November 3rd, 2008, 03:21
no, no, Piglet...
with the maximum of respect...
these things aint that simple nowadays.

the better you know your enemies, the harder you might be able to hit them... right?

If CorsairFreak really NEEDS this job, then the more the dude knows, the better are his chances to get that position.

He can adapt his Curriculum Vitae (mention he is on this forum, will help a lot:costumes:) and his appication/motivation letter, wich in turn will get him the opportunity to talk to the crew chief (Human resources Manager?)

And then, face to face, he gets 5 minutes to play his motivation, enthousiasm and basic knowledge Cards that Sir Galahad mentioned... these can not be (or hardly) put on paper. Or in these application forms that the big companies give you.

At least thats how i often did in the past... and i have risen from Steel factory Slave to Maintenance mech to Cashier/Product presentator to "Informatic guru wannabe" apprentice.

A bad plan is better than no plan at all.

Anyone have some useful info?
wanna correct me?

HundertzehnGustav
November 3rd, 2008, 03:28
Consider this too.
He is learning stuff in the IT department, meaning he wants to be a fulltime computer geek someday. (paid of course...:wiggle:)
A job like that, even held for only half a year is already a good point in his CV, for the future.
It might even make his studies easier... possibly!

:running:

Snuffy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:30
Go for it Corsair Freak, you're already showing initiative by getting an education in the field.

I can't see how they would overlook you unless someone with an A+ certificate apples over you.

Go do it!

Let us know!