PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Tractor Beam

GT182
January 15th, 2010, 12:11
Has anyone installed this yet and will it work ok with the AMS Gunbuss Mod?

Just wondering if it will screw things up by copying and pasteing it into the TC folders already modded. There's 5 scripts in a Scripts folder and 2 XML Docs in a T folder. I'm not sure how you do the fake patch trick with it tho.

gigabyte
January 15th, 2010, 14:21
Has anyone installed this yet and will it work ok with the AMS Gunbuss Mod?

Just wondering if it will screw things up by copying and pasteing it into the TC folders already modded. There's 5 scripts in a Scripts folder and 2 XML Docs in a T folder. I'm not sure how you do the fake patch trick with it tho.

I have not tried that one, however if there are no *cat/*dat files you can't use the fake patch, you would have to copy the files into the proper folders in the X3 main folder and use the Plug in manager to activate the scripts. What is the link to the mod and if I have time I will check it out. I have a feeling it is probably OK with other mods, generally these type of scripts are OK where they are adding just one function they are not modifying core game files or functions so like the cockpits they will work with most everything - based on my previous experienece anyway.

GT182
January 15th, 2010, 15:17
Mike, here it is in a zip file. I forgot to save the link on it, so I can't find it right now.

And no, no Cat or Dat files in it. I extracted it to my desktop and found the Scripts and T folders, along with the Readme folder.

IanP
January 15th, 2010, 15:37
Sorry to go off topic, but I really don't understand this "fake patch" thing that I keep seeing mentioned.

I have a mod (the VC addon) which is just a .cat and a .dat, nothing else, no instructions. How on Earth (or in Argon) should I go about installing that?

gigabyte
January 15th, 2010, 19:59
Sorry to go off topic, but I really don't understand this "fake patch" thing that I keep seeing mentioned.

I have a mod (the VC addon) which is just a .cat and a .dat, nothing else, no instructions. How on Earth (or in Argon) should I go about installing that?

Ian, check this post - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=335910&postcount=16

It explains the process fairly well (I hope). Basically what the "Fake Patch" process is, is a way to modify the game with addons such as the cockpits and use the same technique as the publisher uses to add patches.

If you look inside the main X3 folder ("C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X3 Terran Conflict\" or "C:\Program Files\EGOSOFT\X3 Reunion\") you will see the list of patches for the game, they are numbered pairs of #.CAT & #.DAT files. The current version of X3 Terran Conflict has 9 pairs which brings you to ver 2.5, so if you have a mod that you want to add as a fake patch just rename the ???.CAT & ???.DAT files to the next number in line and the game engine considers it a new patch.

The post above explains the process I use and I included some screen shots so you can see what I mean. The nice thing about this method is once the patch is installed it loads automatically and if you want to remove it just remove the 2 files from the folder.

The only thing to keep in mind is some mods require you to start the game over they will not use current save games so if you add a patch backup your current save games so you have them to return to if you remove the patch later. The save games can be fond here - C:\Users\Gigabyte\Documents\Egosoft\X3TC\save (for Vista and Win 7 the path is slightly different for XP, but I am sure you can find it)

If you try it and have any problems let us know always happy to help a fellow space traveler.

IanP
January 16th, 2010, 04:32
Unfortunatelyt I have the STEAM version (it was cheaper) so I don't have a patch directory and the paths are a bit different. I will, however, poke, prod and see if I can make it work - thanks. :)

Fortunately, because I've not had the game long (less than a week), I'm still at the stage of trying to work out what to do and how, so I'm deleting characters on a day-by-day basis and restarting them as I learn more.

I'm staying deliberately light on the mods right now, because I don't understand the use of most of them. I'll follow what Gary thinks of the adv tractor beam, though, because I can see uses for a one of those that don't ruin the rest of the game's point for me... :)

GT182
January 16th, 2010, 05:03
Ian, that's the way to go. Take it easy and learn.... ya gotta get yer feet wet before you can swim. ;) You're doing what I think most of us have done, just trying things out to see how they work before juming in. That's the best way. Find all the PDFs for TC you can and read them a few times.

Don't worry, you'll make mistakes and restart often until you know how it works. At least that's what I did.

Mike knows the ins and out of X3 as does Bill, and will help out the best they can.

Make a shortcut to the Egosoft folder so you can get to it faster from your desktop [the PDF is in there too]. Even with the Steam version I should think you can do that so you can add Cat and Dat files. Adding them and changing the numbers as explained is how you make the "Fake Patches". Remember too, this game is not like most other ones. They built it differently from what I can see...it's not normal. ;) And if they would have put a manual in the box, it would have been like a hardbound book. The packaging alone would have made the cost higher.

Just hang in there, it's a slow learning curve. I it took a dummy like me a long time to figure out too.... and I'm still leaning. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/faint.gif

IanP
January 16th, 2010, 05:20
Yes. After reading your post, the VC mods are now installed as "11.*at" in the root folder. It's just program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/x3 in case anyone else needs to know where to look (I'm running W7 64, hence the x86 bit). I'd already put them there, because that was full of cats and dats, but hadn't renamed them, which I now have.

I'm actually (shock, horror) flying an aircraft in FSX right now (it's a review flight I should have done months ago) but will go in and see if I have flight decks in X3 when I reach Montreal from Gander.

Thanks for the help and sorry for dragging the thread totally OT.

gigabyte
January 16th, 2010, 08:36
Yes. After reading your post, the VC mods are now installed as "11.*at" in the root folder. It's just program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/x3 in case anyone else needs to know where to look (I'm running W7 64, hence the x86 bit). I'd already put them there, because that was full of cats and dats, but hadn't renamed them, which I now have.

I'm actually (shock, horror) flying an aircraft in FSX right now (it's a review flight I should have done months ago) but will go in and see if I have flight decks in X3 when I reach Montreal from Gander.

Thanks for the help and sorry for dragging the thread totally OT.

WTG Ian, you have the hang of it now, the Fake Patch preocess is nice and simple that is why I like it.

The only folder you may not have in the Steam Version is the "nods" folder and you can create that manually and you are good to go.

Live Long and Prosper...

GT182
January 16th, 2010, 11:34
The only folder you may not have in the Steam Version is the "nods" folder and you can create that manually and you are good to go.

Live Long and Prosper...

Mike, Steam will use a "nods" folder instead of mod folder? I did not know that. LOL Just pickin on ya. ;) I do the same thing and hit a wrong key most of the time.

Ian... it's mods folder you need to make in the main Egosoft folder. Mike was just pullin yer leg. :bump:

IanP
January 16th, 2010, 13:36
I already have a mods folder... Blame the AMS nod... er... mod... for that. ;)

gigabyte
January 16th, 2010, 19:04
Mike, Steam will use a "nods" folder instead of mod folder? I did not know that. LOL Just pickin on ya. ;) I do the same thing and hit a wrong key most of the time.

Ian... it's mods folder you need to make in the main Egosoft folder. Mike was just pullin yer leg. :bump:

Oh man it has been a loonngg week, and it is going to get worse, my spellering and typoering is getten worser by the minute...lol

Sorry about that Ian, I generally re-read my posts and correct my typos, but I missed that one.

I am off on abother road trip tomorrow so I will see you guys later in the week, I am docking all the ships for now in Space dock and letting the crews rest u, on Wed or Thurs we go after teh Xenon core again, I suspect they have rebuilt and I just feel like blowing stuff up... I have the feeling it will be "Hammer Time" when I get back :) :gameon: :pop4:

GT182
January 17th, 2010, 05:29
Oh man it has been a loonngg week, and it is going to get worse, my spellering and typoering is getten worser by the minute...lol

Sorry about that Ian, I generally re-read my posts and correct my typos, but I missed that one.

Don't feel bad guys, my typoing and spellering leaves a lot to be desired too. I'm always going back and checking.... and then fixing my mistakes if I catch them. :rolleyes: Tho usually by Edit. LOL

GT182
January 17th, 2010, 07:21
Mike, I installed the Advanced Tractor Beam scripts and all is well so far. I have't found anything yet to "pull" back to HQ. I'm still looking and will report as sonn as I find something. ;)

I extracted them and added them into the appropriate folders. Nothing was overwritten.

Lionheart
January 17th, 2010, 15:38
How do you use the tractor beam?

I tried moving a station last night and couldnt make it happen. I adjust my guns to have tractor beams, had 4 selected, aimed at the ship, shot it, and tried moving it.

Do you have to fly backwards? If so, that is perhaps 10 M/S. Very very slow...

Bill

GT182
January 18th, 2010, 05:24
Bill, I haven't a clue yet. LOL I can't even find an abandoned ship to try it out. The Avanced TB will let you move a ship or station at a top speed of 120m/s....... so it says.

BTW.... I finally got the Salvage Claim software too while in Kindom End at the Boron Equipment Dock. For some reason it wasn't in my Vidarsaurus. There's supposed to be abandoned ships in that sector.Boy are they hidden good. LOL

Here's the info from the Advanced Tractor Beam Readme:

Check list for activating the tractor beam as a refresher.....
1. A station you own must be targetted - Complexes, unclaimed asteroids or rocks cannot be moved by the tractor beam
2. Ship must be within 5km of station
3. A tractor beam is in the cargobay
4. The cargo bay is closed (shields are up)
5. You are in the ship

How to use it
1. Ensure the cargo bay is closed (shields are up)

2. Move to within 5km of a station you own and target it

3. Activate the software "Advanced Tractor Beam" in the general commands menu

4. The station will now begin to rotate to match the orientation of your ship. Wait a few moments for it to stop turning or use SETA to speed things up.

5. Change the orientation of the station by pointing your ship in a new direction.

6. If you need to shift the station then strafe/move your ship in the desired direction. The station will move parallel to your ship.

7. Switch off the tractor beam by dropping the ships shields (open cargo bay)...Don't forget to raise them again. The tractor beam will also
switch off if the ship moves more than 5km from the station

Version History
1.15 - Tractor beam no longer needs to be mounted in a turret
- Maximum towing speed increased (60-120 m/s depending on computer performance)
- Tractor beam will automatically switch off when a station is added to a complex
- Tractor beam command is now only visible when it can be used.

Edit:
Here's a RT doc to print out on it's use. Just download, open, and print it out.

Lionheart
January 18th, 2010, 06:34
Thanks Gary!

I need to download that Tractor Beam then, and also find out how to open/close the cargo bay.

Very interesting. One can do alot of things with something like this. I could haul good mine asteroids to my own sectors of choice and mine them there where its safe from asteroid fields, (no ships bumping into tons of asteroids.. ).

Bill

GT182
January 18th, 2010, 08:55
Bill, the o key opens and closes the cargo bay doors. I've been picking up stray missles after destroying pirates. Just get within 5 kms and beam them in. Just make sure the cargo doors are open. I think during one capture all I did was open the doors and they were captured. You can hear it if you listen closely.

Look in your control assignments in game and see if there is Beem in Containers listed, then assign a key. Actually Beem listed and keyed for more than one thing.

For the new guys looking in, here's where you need to go to to change your key commands.

First screenshot is the menu where you Quit the sim. Click the Check Mark at the bottom left of the screen. Controls is highlited.

Second is the Interface for your purchased or already installed ship extension softwhere. Game is for changing keyboard commands, Controls is for your joystick.