PDA

View Full Version : How do you scan asteroids?

Lionheart
January 15th, 2010, 10:36
Hey all,

How do you scan asteroids? Is it easier then I think? I have passed up half a zillion of those jobs and I am thinking I should be taking them.

What I am thinking is they have the asteroids targeted for you. But if they do not, you have to find them on the coordinates system, which is very very difficult to do.. . Thats why I havent even tried it, but maybe I am wrong?

I thought I would ask...

Bill

GT182
January 15th, 2010, 10:44
That's an easy one Bill. Just get in kinda close... under 5km if I remember right, but maybe closer. Click on the asteroid, it will be highlited, and a menu will pop up with Scan in it. Click Scan and Viola... you have scanned a rock. Sorry but my French is tres rusty. ;) LOL

IanP
January 15th, 2010, 11:04
The forum I read while trying to work it out told me that I needed a mineral scanner or something.

Good grief. I'm still trolling around selling Energy Oojitsfaces. I can't afford one of them!

GT182
January 15th, 2010, 12:21
Ian, if you're using the AMS Gunbus mod, the scanner is already installled. No need to buy it. ;)

IanP
January 15th, 2010, 12:25
I uninstalled the AMS mod. I'm back being an unarmed trader with enough money to buy a blithering gun, if I can find somewhere that'll sell me a blithering gun!

gigabyte
January 15th, 2010, 14:30
To scan asteroids you do need the Mineral scanner, and as Gary mentioned just get within range select the asteroid and you will see Scan in the Item Properties Menu. There is also the "Scan All Asteroids In Sector" in the Cycrow Cheat menu, but that really takes the challenge out of it.

I have just started trying the Mining thing, I found an abandioned Demiter Miner so I am going to see if there is any money to be made in that line of work. It has possibilities, you can use the Mobile Minine system to break up the rock or if you feel like it a few missles will do a fairly efficent job at breaking up an asteroid...lol I have not figured out how to collect the ore or silicon whafers yet that is what I am going to do tonight. If I make enough I will get me one of those nice big Mining Tenders and a few Freight Drones to do the grunt work...

Craig Taylor
January 15th, 2010, 18:24
I uninstalled the AMS mod. I'm back being an unarmed trader with enough money to buy a blithering gun, if I can find somewhere that'll sell me a blithering gun!

Oooh -- that sounds familiar! I remember missiles being easier to find in the early game than lasers. Sooner or later you'll run across an equipment dock that has a few in stock, but for whatever reason it seems to be a rare occurrence.

I think you can scan an asteroid from 10 km. If you click on the asteroid, you should see a menu choice to "scan asteroid" if you're within range, and then the material and quantity are displayed. You can also scan from your sector map screen by selecting asteroids from the menu once you're close enough. I think the sector map will record the asteroid's composition in perpetuity, in case you need to go back and look for it later.

Lionheart
January 15th, 2010, 18:42
Thanks Gang!

I am going to load up a Mineral Scanner and start out looking for jobs that need that.

I was tired of turning them down. I thought, man, if I could do that, it would be that much more money coming in! Like in real life. Things might come into your path, and you think, man... If I were good at that also, I could make that much more, lol..

For me, I tend to learn alot from some of these games.. They get in my head, calculating profits and possibilities and learning to think big instead of regular.

off to find some '--stroids'

Bill

GT182
January 15th, 2010, 19:13
off to find some '--stroids'

Bill

Be careful Bill... those "stroids" could turn out to be "roids". ;)

Lionheart
January 16th, 2010, 11:32
Be careful Bill... those "stroids" could turn out to be "roids". ;)

Yes!! lol.....

Well, I cant believe how easy that was! I could have been doing this the entire time. arrgh.. This time though, I only found one group that needed scans done. The rest were for taxi runs and covert operations, and I was only in my small Scorpion Vanguard.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Bill

CrisGer
January 23rd, 2010, 18:01
AMS Gunbus mod
???
can somone point out the source for this? thanks

UPDATE: found it :)

http://apricotmappingservice.com/X3TCdownloads/

so this mod, does it just add one ship? i am getting my feet wet here so i am asking lots of noob questions. :)

GT182
January 23rd, 2010, 18:53
Chris, I didn't really get all that far with the Vanilla TC so I can really say for sure. But I do know there's a bunch of ships I've not seen before. I'll have some posted in my next Patrol Log tomorrow.

Off hand I think the Vidarsaurus is a new fighter. And the Big Mother is a new TL class transport.... it is huge. Anyways, you own them both, 18 total, when you start out. I believe the Serenity Firefly is also in there somewhere to salvage, but I haven't found it yet. There are some new or "upgraded" stations too. You won't be disappointed with the Apricot Mapping Service/Gunbus mod. ;) It's a whole new sim/game now, that will have you hooked. Life as you know it will not be the same. :bump:

CrisGer
January 23rd, 2010, 19:28
ok cool, i will check it out, much appreciated.

IanP
January 24th, 2010, 04:19
The Vidarsaurus is a carrier, but the AMS mod adds a whole horde of (totally unbalanced and unashamedly so!) new ships and stations to the game.

I don't use it to get the ships, but it has certain other advantages too... mainly the cheat menu and the fact that any system you visit is instantly fully mapped the next time you load a save. :wiggle:

GT182
January 24th, 2010, 09:33
Ian, not totally true for systems being fully mapped. You will have to buy that info for some. Seen it and bought them... tho the prices are fairly reasonable.

One of the coolest things about this mod it the ships waiting to be salvaged. And there's good money in selling them too. I've made a cool 6 mil just selling 2 ships that were a tad too slow to be useful to me. :d I have one to test that will do 635m/s, but is said it's not highly manuverable. Next mission it will be my protector as that test.

CrisGer
January 24th, 2010, 10:13
ok thanks guys those details help, i did not have a clear idea what the mod did, even after reading the literature on that site, I did find the info interesting about being able to beam aboard ships and stations, it sounds like, froim another mod, but as i have played X3 Reunion only a little and several years ago, i dont have any idea what is default in the game and what is changed and missing and therefore good to add in X3 TC :) thanks again for the info.

GT182
January 24th, 2010, 16:11
Chris, the AMS Mod is different but super fun. You don't get as frustrated as you might in the Vanilla TC 2.5. I don't trade all that much, I do Missions thru the Comms at different stations throughout all the different sectors I've traveled to. Look for the orange C, lightbulb, plus the red and green symbols for "jobs". Some need you to be an assassin, some need you to build stations, some need you to patrol or protect, or scan asteroids. There's good credits to be made from these, along with trading.

Make sure you get the Jump Drive installed in your ship so you can skip several sectors and get to where you need to go faster..... there are time limits on some "jobs" that require you to complete that specific job in as little a 10 minutes. Then some have no time limit to finish.

One smart move is to keep a good deal of your credits at you HQ station. Only take what you might need for trading and buying with you on your ship. Right now I've got roughly 36 million credits at my HQ and I'm carrying, as of now, 15.7 million with me on my ship. When I get back to HQ I'll transfer half into my HQ "bank" and then go out and make some more. ;)

CrisGer
January 25th, 2010, 07:07
OK got it re the jump dirve.

what is the reason for keeping the funds at the HQ station? just curious. thanks. Do you collect interest?

GT182
January 25th, 2010, 07:25

what is the reason for keeping the funds at the HQ station? just curious. thanks. Do you collect interest?

LOL... nope, no intersest. I keep funds there just in case I'm robbed. ;) LOL Actually just in case something happens to my ship. I know, I can go back to a "save" and not have to worry, but it's that peace of mind feeling knowing it's safe.

Plus I think the station needs money in order to trade with other ships. Not sure tho as I'm still figuring that part out. There's a lot to learn and I'm trying, but it's hard to trade when I'm making all those credits keeping the X Universe safe. ;) LOL

gigabyte
January 26th, 2010, 15:16

CrisGer, the AMS mod is really a total remake of the game, the additional ships are all based on existing ships from the Vanilla version just renamed and modified quite a bit, some modified wepons are included. The Vidarsaurus is a modified Terran Vidar but really is a huge improveemt and the Gunbus is a modified Centar, the Big Mother is a beefed up Argon TL, and I believe the Apricot Battle Crusier is the AMS version of the Argon One, I think there are 18 AMS ships in all, but they are so heavely modified they only look like the original versions all the specs and weps are greatly enhanced.

I have been running the AMS mod almost from the start with Terran Conflict, and to be honest I find it much more enjoyable, you still get the original missions plus much more, and when you feel like blowing stuff up you have the power to do it. Think of the AMS fleet as redesigned by "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" More Power...lol

GT182
January 27th, 2010, 06:27
Think of the AMS fleet as redesigned by "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" More Power...lol

Exactly! :d And I can hear him now. LOL

Lionheart
January 27th, 2010, 08:57
LOL... nope, no intersest. I keep funds there just in case I'm robbed. ;) LOL Actually just in case something happens to my ship. I know, I can go back to a "save" and not have to worry, but it's that peace of mind feeling knowing it's safe.

Wierd how we can sometimes incorporate what we learn from these games, lol. When I am handling funds and figuring company directions these days, I utilize some of my 'company climbing techniques' learned from X3 and a few other games that had similar shipping/exporting systems in them, where you start off with a little bit of money and a ship and work your way up.

There is a couple of other games that are similar but based on old sailing ships of the 1200's and 1400's, and they are German as well, lol. But you can rise up to a huge position with a ton of ships of all kinds. Pirates and piracy, shipping, battle, politics, invasions...

Games in particular are Patrician III and Anno 1240 or something like that. Patrician really gets you thinking.

<--- rambling again.. arrgh