PDA

View Full Version : This is Shocking

IanHenry
January 15th, 2010, 10:25
If there is any truth in this story it is truly shocking:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1243309/Defence-cuts-ground-Battle-Britain-flight.html

Ian

Shylock
January 15th, 2010, 10:27
Wow I hope thats not true. Any time you have flights like that its always positive things that come out of it. And to even read the Red Arrows at risk too....

Tweek
January 15th, 2010, 10:32
Possibly a non-story or a journalist trying to make a name for himself blowing something they've heard out of proportion (it is the Daily Mail, after all), so I'll take it with a pinch of salt for now. Axeing the BBMF or the Reds would be political suicide. Not that it'd be totally unexpected though...

Snuffy
January 15th, 2010, 10:38
That could suck.

:173go1:

SkippyBing
January 15th, 2010, 10:38
Rule 1: Don't believe the Daily Mail

Having said that, every year when MoD realises that they're not going to get all the money they need to do everything the Government wants it to do, they ask each service to draw up a list of things to cut in order of priority. Somewhere on that list will appear the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the Red Arrows, HMS Victory, the Royal Yacht*, Household Cavalry etc. Invariably someone in the press will see the list, put two and two together and get five by assuming it's a list of what is going to get cut, not just a list of options.

*At various times the people doing the cutting have forgotten that the lists are drawn up in order of priority and cut stuff that shouldn't have been...

stiz
January 15th, 2010, 10:49
yea i wouldnt read to seriosly into it ... the MOD are pretty stupid sometimes ... but not THAT stuipd, they know full well they'd be signing thier own death warrents with the public. :kilroy:

gajit
January 15th, 2010, 10:52
Possibly a non-story or a journalist trying to make a name for himself ...

I know his name already... Hit me Hit Me Hitttttit Me :bump:

IanP
January 15th, 2010, 10:58
Oh good grief. It's the Daily Mail. They trot out that story every bloomin' year without fail.

(Note that "saving the Red Arrows" - although they actually make money - will then be used as an excuse to cut funding for something else... like, say, replacing the Gazelle, or cutting another ASR helo from each of the remaining flights as they rapidly head towards outsourcing it all to CHC Scotia under the HCA rather than MoD...)

Bjoern
January 15th, 2010, 12:50
Be glad that you have something like this at all.

Heck, we don't even have a awfully normal display team!