PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Recommendations?

BOOM
January 13th, 2010, 17:39
Hello,This question is for all the great knowledgable Rottorheads in the community,With the imminent release of Stark's Twin Qaks and Orbx's Pacific NorthWest I'm looking for a great Helo to go low- n- slow to explore the fantastic scenery,I was looking at a few at Alphasim.....
Apache
Pavelow
BlackHawk
I'd like something with a believable immersive VC. Any recommendations/help and input would be great,Thank You!

djscoo
January 13th, 2010, 17:45
I have all three...The Apache and Pavelow are my favorites because they have the eye-candy, the flight models are extremely forgiving, and there are a lot of cool features and animations, but not too many to make it a chore to fly. I fly those two all the time because they look darn good, and I can just hop in and fly. Easy on the framerates too.

The Blackhawk is still flown by me, but less often. It is really hardware intensive. Takes a long time to load textures, and the flight model is less forgiving. I still like it, I'm not sure it was worth the exorbitant price paid for the amount of time I use it.

The VC texturing and modeling in all three is believable, and very well done. I think you'd do fine with any of them.
:ernae:

flaviossa
January 13th, 2010, 17:52
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=29643

Dain Arns
January 13th, 2010, 18:12
Cera Bell 412.
A great helicopter VC cockpit out there, IMHO.
You will have to flip some avionics systems on even if you start with engines running, and reduce the Rotor rpm via a switch on the collective, to turn off the RPM warning light.
Cera put those in because it was on the start up check list for the real Bell 412, as I understand it.
All 3D gauges.
I like the flight dynamics as well. :salute:

http://cerasimaircraft.com/bell_412_fsx.html

MCDesigns
January 13th, 2010, 18:19
Curious, why military helis for civilian type scenery? Of the AS birds you mention, I would say the Blackhawk has the most immersive VC.
If your system is up to it, then I would suggest the Milviz/ND huey, it fits the area you are flying and has an amazingly modeled VC, but a little hard oin the frames. Other than that, I would say either the ND BO-105 of the EC-120 have great VCs.

I was going to suggest the cera 412, but there are a few texture/design issues in the VC that take away from the immersion for me, otherwsie a great addon.

Dain Arns
January 13th, 2010, 18:27
I was going to suggest the cera 412, but there are a few texture/design issues in the VC that take away from the immersion for me, otherwsie a great addon.

Now I feel like I'm missing something... :kilroy:
Maybe I don't want to know. :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
January 13th, 2010, 18:38
Dodosim 206. It's still the best chopper out there. :wavey:

dennison
January 13th, 2010, 18:45
Payware, Dodosim 206 and Cera 412 are without doubt the best.

Freeware H21-C
http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Add-ons_-_Helicopters_-_FSX&img=9

or
Freeware AS322l2
http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Add-ons_-_Helicopters_-_FSX

You could try them now.

MCDesigns
January 13th, 2010, 18:55
Now I feel like I'm missing something... :kilroy:
Maybe I don't want to know. :icon_lol:

Everyone has their own ideas of what they like and dislike. I could be a rivet counter, but won't. Since I am a modeler, stretched textures, lack of shadowing, simple mesh and/or bad textures are things I tend to notice in a VC that really affect the immersion with me. For example, since I spend a fair amount of time looking out of windows, a believable window frame is very important.

Dain Arns
January 13th, 2010, 18:59
Dodosim 206. It's still the best chopper out there. :wavey:

I agree for realism of flight.
Overall it is good. The higher resolution textures for the VC someone put out have helped a lot.
Some people experience 'sticker shock' when they see the price of it though.
I personally would only recommend it to someone who is dedicated to the rotorcraft cause. :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
January 13th, 2010, 19:05
Everyone has their own ideas of what they like and dislike. I could be a rivet counter, but won't. Since I am a modeler, stretched textures, lack of shadowing, simple mesh and/or bad textures are things I tend to notice in a VC that really affect the immersion with me. For example, since I spend a fair amount of time looking out of windows, a believable window frame is very important.

I've noticed that too on the door strip.
To me the gauges were done well, and the instrument panel looks fine, so it was acceptable.
Hmmm. I would think that could be modified to look better. :kilroy:

BOOM
January 14th, 2010, 08:55
Thank all you fantastic rottorheads for your great suggestions/links and opinions!!
@Michael,I want a military Helo so I can patrol and keep gaurd over Boeing's Paine field to ward off Airbus spy's trying to copy the 787 with Hellfire missiles!!!:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Lionheart
January 14th, 2010, 09:24
Piglets Russian Hind is a good one for learning on. It flies quite nice. Then when you get the hang of flying a rotor, upgrade to a nice payware.

For me, flying them is a pretty stressful endeavor. I cant seem to land where I want, but Ive been logging some time lately on the Hind and actually getting some success on landings..

Bill

harleyman
January 14th, 2010, 09:35
Any recommendations/help and input would be great,Thank You!

I suggest about a 1952 PanHead.... Use 80" Flathead wheels in the bottom end, put a 73 and above Shovel head top end and jugs on it , and it will pull the tranny right out the frame....

Also put some Andrews gears in the tranny for best acceleration out the hole and for cruising put a Hi Lift long duration cam in...:kilroy:

Francois
January 14th, 2010, 10:09
When I fly a chopper these days I only fly the Huey. Call it sentimental reasons. To me this is THE helicopter of all times.... and depending on my mood I leave the .50's out or not *gg*

2Low
January 14th, 2010, 10:47
I suggest about a 1952 PanHead....

LOL, oh that's a good one. I like your thinkin' there. I'm glad I didn't have a mouthfull of coffee while reading that or I'd have a monitor full of coffee right now.

Francois I agree, the Huey is the chopper (of the rotor variety).

BOOM
January 14th, 2010, 11:08
I suggest about a 1952 PanHead.... Use 80" Flathead wheels in the bottom end, put a 73 and above Shovel head top end and jugs on it , and it will pull the tranny right out the frame....

Also put some Andrews gears in the tranny for best acceleration out the hole and for cruising put a Hi Lift long duration cam in...:kilroy:

Haha!!! I should of known better to word this topic such as I did with a Ace Harley Biker/Mechanic around!!!!!

Did you have something like this in mind harleyman?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/badaboom/art.jpg

Not sure if The Washington State Troppers would find it street legal!!:icon29:

harleyman
January 14th, 2010, 11:51
Well...I see a rear brake pedal ..Now all it needs is a 3 dollar squeeky horn on the tripple trees...LOL

Its now legal....Loud pipes do save lives.....

And I always rode better and safer after some of these...:icon29::icon29:

yea I did....LOL