PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Round-the_World Race Overview

srgalahad
November 2nd, 2008, 13:58
The Microsoft Flight Simulator Around-the-World Race is an annual event conducted between the top flight simulation websites.
Enthusiasts from each site gather online to fly their team's virtual baton around the world as fast as possible.
The race was first run in 2003. (from the RTW Official Website)

With just over 3 months to go until the beginning of the 2009 version of the Race, Team Sim-Outhouse is beginning preparations for defense of it's title as the Fastest Team Around the World and holders of the Tornado Trophy!

This is an introduction to the Race, the Team and all that goes into making a winning crew.

Over the next few days and weeks we will be setting up separate threads to address specific issues pertaining to the event but this will be the initial gathering place for Team members and supporters. Here will be posted news, views and general discussions to keep you informed of our progress.

For an overview of the race itself, visit the Official Race Website:
http://www.fsrtwrace.com/index.htm
where you can learn about the format, the general Rules, past results and far more!

A Volunteer Thread will be posted where you can learn about the various crew responsibilities and needs and where you can sign up to help your team along.

In addition, there will be public threads to attempt to answer some of the more technical aspects of RTW racing and as the Race approaches, a public thread where you can keep abreast of Team Progress (which will be our Official Thread as required by the Rules).

Team members will also have access to The Hideout where non-public discussions will be carried out.

The excitement may be in the flying, but excellence comes from total preparation.

Welcome back past Team members! and a hearty Hello to those who may be joining us for the first time!

Rob

jkcook28
November 2nd, 2008, 14:14
Sharpening my propeller...:icon_twi: :hatchet:

whitehawk_2009
November 2nd, 2008, 19:03
Time to dust my Hotel model off...:redfire:

WH

Flyin Bull
November 3rd, 2008, 00:13
Just tell me where to fly to:costumes:

Taco
November 3rd, 2008, 04:11
:wavey:You bet we will be ready!:ernae:

RedGreen
November 3rd, 2008, 17:11
You boys can also bet that Team Flightsim will be ready too. It's about time for us to get our Trophy back. :gameon: :jump:

Best of luck, gentlemen. Here's to another thrilling competition this Feburary. :ernae:

Dangerousdave26
November 3rd, 2008, 17:19
HEY RED

You are only getting your Trophy back if you COME OVER TO THE DARK SIDE! :d

And I don't mean FSX :costumes:

But Seriously the whole race would be worthless with out our Flightsim and AVSIM Friends

See you out there :applause:

Willy
November 3rd, 2008, 17:52
Hmmm... time to do some maintenence on the Spit. :d

fliger747
November 4th, 2008, 09:10
Time to make the board a bit more inclusive?

T.

dcc
November 4th, 2008, 14:44
Time to make the board a bit more inclusive?

T.

I second that one! Been lobbying for the last few years to see a SOH-er on the Board. It would really help settle rules interpretion disputes if we had a Board member the team as the other teams do.

- dcc

PRB
November 4th, 2008, 17:34
Well, I think we've prooved ourselves worthy by now. This will be our 5th year doing this. It makes little sense that the other two teams alone get to make the rules. I'm actually surprised at this. I thought we did have a voice over in the smoke filled rules room. I seem to remember Willy or dcc being our "rep" at race control during the early years.

Moses03
November 4th, 2008, 17:44
I don't see why we can't have a voice although there is something satisfying about being the ugly stepchild.

EasyEd
November 4th, 2008, 19:40
Hey All,

Representation at "the table" would be nice I suppose but I'm not sure it matters one way or another. I don't know of a situation in which the rules or a ruling bit us - everything I know suggests that in our unsuccessful years we bit ourselves - like for example the rock in the middle of the Atlantic. I'm with Moses I don't see a problem - curious to know what the problem(s) is(are)?

-Ed-

dcc
November 4th, 2008, 19:44
Well, I think we've prooved ourselves worthy by now. This will be our 5th year doing this. It makes little sense that the other two teams alone get to make the rules. I'm actually surprised at this. I thought we did have a voice over in the smoke filled rules room. I seem to remember Willy or dcc being our "rep" at race control during the early years.

Willy Tom and I have indeed been tapped to provide feedback and other information (flight model technical support, etc.), just as many others have been tapped from the other two teams. But this has only been an advisory role -- we have no offical vote on the rules nor judgment authority during the race.

You may recall that last year the Committee recognized this latter point as a potential disadvantage and provided us with a hotline (phone contact information) to them in case we needed a snap judgment. We had to use it on one occasion -- that DC-3 flight. We would have likely reflown it if we had not been able to get a snap ruling. I may be wrong, but I don't they provided such for the other two teams, because they are on those teams.

I don't mean to sound negative -- this race is supposed to be fun and light-hearted -- but I think it just makes sense to have the committee made up of people from each team.

Nevertheless, it's not that big of a deal. The guys who put it together put a lot of time and effort into it and it's always a fun (?) time. :costumes:

- dcc

MaddogK
November 5th, 2008, 14:22
How soon we forget the 'bear incident', :censored:

Dangerousdave26
November 5th, 2008, 15:48
How soon we forget the 'bear incident', :censored:

I think that was Bear's.... Plural because they both used it.

But we must remember that we as the Sim-Outhouse Team choose to not use the plane because of its completely unrealistic flight model. The committee did not ban it prior to the race (Most likely because they planned on using it) therefore there was no rule to ban it. It was a judgment call well made on our part. They did not benefit from using it. They paid the price for using it.

Karma paid them a visit

jkcook28
November 5th, 2008, 16:16
It just "smelled" bad. Had we someone in-the-know on the board, could have seen it coming. I'd have flown it and we'd have won by a few minutes more!:173go1:

MaddogK
November 7th, 2008, 07:34
I think that was Bear's.... Plural because they both used it.

But we must remember that we as the Sim-Outhouse Team choose to not use the plane because of its completely unrealistic flight model. The committee did not ban it prior to the race (Most likely because they planned on using it) therefore there was no rule to ban it. It was a judgment call well made on our part. They did not benefit from using it. They paid the price for using it.

Karma paid them a visit

Well ,that blew my trust in the committee that over-sees this event, they keep us off that committee, they ban marginally illegal A/C, then they BOTH use that Bear from fantasyland, it makes NO difference that we could've also used it nor does the fact that neither survived their flights.

So I'm still trying to decide if I want to participate as I don't trust the ruling body of this event- neither in their rule concoction, interpretation or enforcement.

Dangerousdave26
November 7th, 2008, 12:05
Well ,that blew my trust in the committee that over-sees this event, they keep us off that committee, they ban marginally illegal A/C, then they BOTH use that Bear from fantasyland, it makes NO difference that we could've also used it nor does the fact that neither survived their flights.

So I'm still trying to decide if I want to participate as I don't trust the ruling body of this event- neither in their rule concoction, interpretation or enforcement.

While I understand your frustration with the committee I would not let it affect your participation.

crashaz
November 7th, 2008, 12:48
Hey All,
..... everything I know suggests that in our unsuccessful years we bit ourselves - like for example the rock in the middle of the Atlantic....
-Ed-

Ya just had to bring that up! Oooo man that still leaves mental scars. :costumes:

srgalahad
November 7th, 2008, 15:24
QhnPVP23rzo

Play this in the background while you fly:kilroy:

Now remember, in spite of obstacles and strong competition, the trophy is sitting somewhere in Ickie's basement under all the hardware.. or is it Moe's, or maybe it went over to Tx's .. hmmmm.. anyway, we HAVE it! It's a nice trophy, but there's no place to drink from it :ernae: but we should still do everything we can to hold on to it in 2009!

Rob

srgalahad
November 7th, 2008, 22:39
Crew volunteers are rolling in at a nice pace (17 so far with 15 planning to fly).

In the next couple of days I hope to have some general info posted in a separate thread about the basics of RTW racing (aircraft, software, hardware issues, time involved...) for those who may be curious but aren't sure what's really involved.

Detailed and technical discussions will, as usual, be handled in the "Hideout" which is access-restricted to Team Members and SOH Admins for obvious reasons. We'll try to keep the topics as organized as possible to make for a gentle learning-curve but feel free to ask questions about any subject even if you think it's 'too obvious or basic'.

Anyone who's been excited about past events but not sure their flying skills are up to the challenge should still consider signing up... practice sessions will be a good chance to learn, and maybe you'll find a niche to fit into other than flying.

Boogity, boogity, boogity ... let's go RACING!

Rob

PRB
November 8th, 2008, 15:45
QhnPVP23rzo

Play this in the background while you fly:kilroy:

Now remember, in spite of obstacles and strong competition, the trophy is sitting somewhere in Ickie's basement under all the hardware.. or is it Moe's, or maybe it went over to Tx's .. hmmmm.. anyway, we HAVE it! It's a nice trophy, but there's no place to drink from it :ernae: but we should still do everything we can to hold on to it in 2009!

Rob

Hmm, I'd say send that song to the other two teams - they're the ones who need to overcome this year! We've done overcommed last year! :d As for the trophy, I think it's on display in the bar over at the Cantina, and under the watchful eye of certain Merc-Air pilots and crew members...

srgalahad
November 8th, 2008, 20:13
Ohhhh.. THAT's what Willy was using as a hatrack...

fliger747
January 5th, 2009, 14:57
Things a little slow here?

I noticed BOTH MM and Tornado eyeing the CV6 Enterprise thread, at the same time....

A carrier in our race future??

Dangerousdave26
January 5th, 2009, 15:19
Yall ought to think about setting up a couple of planes for carrier landings.

Some day you may find one in a practice or the race. :whistle:

tornadowilkes
January 6th, 2009, 07:53
Things a little slow here?

I noticed BOTH MM and Tornado eyeing the CV6 Enterprise thread, at the same time....

A carrier in our race future??

Was I?? Lol

Willy
January 6th, 2009, 16:07
Yall ought to think about setting up a couple of planes for carrier landings.

Some day you may find one in a practice or the race. :whistle:

The FS9 default USS Kitty Hawk sits off of San Francisco. Not sure where the default carrier is located in FS8 or FSX.

Not sure how you'd attach the more common carrier programs to it. I use the original carrier operations gauge pack that doesn't require zones to land or launch. The AlphaSim F7F Tigercat works very well with it. (and the addon USS Lexington world cruise and other add on carriers I've got installed)

MaddogK
January 6th, 2009, 16:43
A default carrier ??

Hmmm

salt_air
January 25th, 2009, 06:04
Hey All,

Been here lately? http://www.fsrtwrace.com/

The more the merrier.

Best wishes to each one of you guys for a great and fun time at this year's RTW.

Regards,

Dangerousdave26
January 25th, 2009, 06:18
Thanks for the HU

Now we are rocking :welcome:

Spookster67
January 25th, 2009, 08:23
Thanks for the HU

Now we are rocking :welcome:

Dave, thanks for the welcome! If you want to check us out, we are here: www.fs-mp.com (http://www.fs-mp.com)

Regards, Martin (Spookster67 / FS-MP)

PRB
January 25th, 2009, 09:02
Great news on the new team this year. Welcome aboard, Martin!

Moses03
January 25th, 2009, 11:30
Fantastic! Had hoped another team would come along sooner or later. Good luck to you all Martin. :ernae:

Moses

srgalahad
January 25th, 2009, 12:05
Welcome to the asylum Martin (and team FS-MP):wiggle:

Feel free to ask (there are more questions than you can imagine) and we'll try to help where we can. On the other hand, some here will say "don't follow us - we're usually lost":173go1:
I'm sure a couple of us will try to pop into one of your open sessions before the race if we can get that new-fangled sim to run.

Rob

RedGreen
January 26th, 2009, 04:58
A new team? I'd say that deserves a new video...:wiggle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yb-i3RlwoA

Falcon711
February 18th, 2009, 06:43
As a member of FS-MP since the start. I must say we are both excited and honored to be part of this race. Thank you for the opportunity to join and we look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

-Falcon

Moses03
February 18th, 2009, 09:11
Welcome to SOH Falcon. :ernae:

Looking forward to more competition. Best of luck to you all.

Moses