PDA

View Full Version : Around the house...

djscoo
January 12th, 2010, 17:26
Just messing about trying to learn the ropes with RAW files...

Critiques welcome!

Kiwikat
January 12th, 2010, 17:43
Those are very well done! Seems like you're getting the hang of it fast. :engel016:

I like the second one especially. Simplicity is sometimes the way to go.

luckydog
January 12th, 2010, 22:32
Those are very well done! Seems like you're getting the hang of it fast. :engel016:

I like the second one especially. Simplicity is sometimes the way to go.

I have to laugh when a "puppy" buys a bunch of expensive photo gear and suddenly becomes an Expert.........

luckydog
January 12th, 2010, 23:28
Just messing about trying to learn the ropes with RAW files...

Critiques welcome!

Hey DJ..!!

You said critiques were welcome, so..................

Looks like your RAW experiments are looking good.

#1.Your composition needs a teeny bit of work.
Getting in close is GOOD, but not too close.
Show a little more environment :
Example.....

#2. I re-cropped to try and emphasize the diagonal running from lower right to upper left :

#3. Being ex-airborne, I liked the subject matter but......

being a solitary, vertical object with no action, I would have shot this "portrait style"........ vertical format and centered (play with the background).

I had a brief stint ( 2 years ) with a Fuji lab and its amazing how many photos (95%) came thru that were shot horizontally. Don't be afraid to turn that camera up and shoot vertical !!

Just a few thoughts.............take 'em or leave 'em.

Kiwikat
January 12th, 2010, 23:37
I have to laugh when a "puppy" buys a bunch of expensive photo gear and suddenly becomes an Expert.........

Yeah... I'm an expert? Where's the paycheck? :salute:

I'll ask that you please stop your attitude towards me. It was evident in the other thread, but I didn't address it. :kilroy:

This forum is a place where anyone can comment, regardless of their skill level. If others haven't read and responded yet, that is their choice. It was also my choice to give back some feedback (as requested by the OP).

Nowhere have I claimed to be an expert. I enjoy giving feedback and discussing this second hobby that many of us share. I'm learning just like everyone else is. Just because I respond often doesn't mean I always know what I'm talking about. However, I was one of the people who kept pushing for a photography subforum here, so I intend to participate often. :mixedsmi:

Yesterday while I was out with my new lens it became more evident that I really didn't know how to use it as I was fumbling about a lot more than usual. I don't have much experience taking photos on a trail, and even less experience taking photos outside in the snow. I only really came back with two or three shots that I'd honestly consider keepers... a very poor keeper rate, but it was indeed my first time out in the field with the 300. I cannot wait to go out and practice with it some more, as it is an incredible piece of engineering that is capable of producing some awesome photos in the hands of an experienced photographer.

Panther_99FS
January 13th, 2010, 03:53
Need to settle down here...

As long as we know other shooters aren't into the same things we are, everything should be good...:engel016:

Example,
Elsewhere, (another forum) I know photographers who are absolutely against post-processing - no biggie, just a different perspective....:ernae:

Henry
January 13th, 2010, 11:23
Need to settle down here...

As long as we know other shooters aren't into the same things we are, everything should be good...:engel016:

Example,
Elsewhere, (another forum) I know photographers who are absolutely against post-processing - no biggie, just a different perspective....:ernae:
yup
its all about what the individual wants
we can go back a century is photography an art?
they have been fighting that one since film was invented
LOL
we have the same hobby just different ideas
thats a great thing
H