PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions Please

harleyman
January 12th, 2010, 16:16
1) I have been practicing manual docking..I have no problem with it but this......

After I get permission, and the green dock light..I travel to the station at 22m/s...As I get close it aborts me always...

So I figure I'm to fast...So I slow down to 12 m/s... At that rate the station is pulling away from me, and increasing speed slightly always aborts me again..

So I have to keep Comming and requestion permission, instead of concentrating on docking..its a bit rough...LOL

2) I just bought and then sold a missle of some sort......

Where do I go find how much money I have ???

3) I own another ship it says...How do I get into it ???

Thank you very much....

IanP
January 12th, 2010, 23:03
I've only ever had one aborted approach, when another ship cut me off on short final. Other than that, anything up to about 40-50m/s seems OK. Could it be that you're not lined up or something like that? I normally try to put myself right up the middle of the light dots.

Money is shown on your personal details page. I have about 10,000 at the moment, I think. Kind of like what I started with, but then I bought a load of charts.

The only way I've found of changing ships is to get close, eject (shift-e), then move to the other ship, click and select "enter ship".

gigabyte
January 13th, 2010, 00:51
OK here is my 2 ¢ ...

1) I have been practicing manual docking..I have no problem with it but this......

After I get permission, and the green dock light..I travel to the station at 22m/s...As I get close it aborts me always...

So I figure I'm to fast...So I slow down to 12 m/s... At that rate the station is pulling away from me, and increasing speed slightly always aborts me again..

So I have to keep Comming and requestion permission, instead of concentrating on docking..its a bit rough...LOL

I suggest you do a couple of Auto Pilot docks to watch how the Auto Pilot does it, but the basics are as follows;

Once you have received permission to land, line up with the Green Docking indicator. I generally slow to below 100 KM as I approach the station and reduce to about 40-50 once I am in close. As you get closer watch for the landing lane, it is 2 rows of lights that direct you to the docking ring, rotate and use your "Strafe" jets to move left right / Up Down without changing the heading - these are horzential and vertical thrusters (A= Left, D= Right, W= Up, S= Down). Once you are "in the lane" keep your speed in the 40-60 KM range and ride it in. If you are going to fast you will get a RED flashing double arrow pointing down so slow down a bit, other than that you should be fine. You will get Docking Aborted if you are too fast, make a sudden dramatic turn, or if you are coming at the Docking ring from too far outside the lane, you need to get in the middle of those lights. I had problems with this at first, I even tried a couple of time to Dock from the wrong side of the station and when you hit one of those puppy's you go BOOM - I hate when that happens...!

2) I just bought and then sold a missle of some sort......

Where do I go find how much money I have ???

Ian is right on, the very to Icon on the left is the Pilot Menu, click it and select Pilot Stats, it gives you pretty much everything. You can also see your balance when you are in the trading screen it will be at the bottom right I believe.

3) I own another ship it says...How do I get into it ???

This is a fun one, in the beginning you have to do a Space Walk or dock both ships at the same station to change from one to the other. First doing it in space, pull up close to your other ship (it will be the ship with the Green Square around it on the screen, and listed at the top in Green in the Sector map. Make sure you are at a DEAD STOP, then eject from yout ship (Shift + E is the default command), you will find yourself in space in your MK2 High Tech Space Suite, - which by the way comes with a nifty built in "Repair Laser". Now that you are in space use your controls to move close to the other ship - you will see why I said to get close, the space suite does not travel very fast. Once you are very close point at the ship and Click to bring up the menu, you will see "Enter Ship" if you are close enough click it and you are inside, if you are not close enough it is greyed out so keep on truckin.

Good tip on this process, if you end up in a banged up ship after a little furball, you can park yourself in a nice safe quiet spot and do your own repairs, just eject, spin around and fire your repair laser at your ship, it is a slow process, but it costs nothing and the view is amazing...

BTW when you start coming across abandoned ships the process is the same to collect a freebie, the only difference is before you enter the abandoned ship, you must select "Claim Ship from that menu, once you Claim the ship the "Enter Ship" will appear and you can enter you new prize or return to you original ship and just give orders to your new prize.

I almost forgot, to change ships in a station, very simple, order your other ship to dock at any friendly station, then dock youself. From the Station Menu (after you are docked) select "Landed Ships" then select you other craft and with one more click you should see "Change Ships" click it and poof you get "Beamed Over".

Thank you very much....

Keep on Truckin Harleyman, it is allot to learn and it takes time to develop your own style of doing things, but it is so wide open that the possibilities are endless. Quite often I just go exploring with no mission or no trading in mind, I just zip through gates and look around, kind of like doing a "Low & Slow" over some nice scenery in FSX.

Live Long and Prosper...

harleyman
January 13th, 2010, 02:33
wow...Space walks...lazers...taking ships..its all just so...COOL......LOL

Thanks for those great answers guys....I thought I was inside the lights docking always..maybe I am to slow..i will continue at work to practice using your suggestions....Its just auto dock is slowwwwwwwwwwww.

I will have to look for my other ship..I have seen once docked where other ships are docked, but never noticed if one was mine , or how to tell if one was..

I will hunt my Pilot menu... For my ststs....

This is a complicated game for sure..but so far very fun once you get a few basics down.... :applause:

Thanks Gigabyte for all your help..You make it much more fun for sure...Once I learn I can help more newbies out as you have helped me to help take the time off of you two, and all others that are here helping..

IanP
January 13th, 2010, 03:05
If you started using the Trader option, your other ship is floating randomly in space. The tutorial would probably tell you how to get into it or command it, but you can't get that far because of the stupid "destroy this crate... but you have no guns!" mission.

The easiest thing to do with it is to go to My Property under the top icon, select it, orders-command console-navigation-dock at and select somewhere nearby, then you dock there as well and wait an aeon or two for it to arrive. At that point, you can then move between them (thanks for that gigabyte!) and work out what else to do with them at will.

harleyman
January 13th, 2010, 03:35
Thanks Ian for that...I am going to try today and get that ship...

Did you mean the *Merchant Trader* option ???

That is all I have ever done as of yet...i'm affraid to go fight now, as I will get killed and frustrasted, so thought it best to get some skills first...LOL

IanP
January 13th, 2010, 04:32
That's the one. Unfortunately, the fact that you can't destroy a debris crate makes the tutorial for that utterly pointless. All you can do is meander off somewhere and find something to trade.

I started out with that one, discovered that I was totally unable to defend myself in the case of attack, so quit and started a Terran Defender character, who now has three ships (two of which are vaguely useful) and is slowly plodding through the storyline wondering if they'll ever actually find a profitable trade route.

I just had to go back and sell Meatsteak Cahounas where I bought them from, for no profit, because all the systems I visited wanted to pay less than I had bought them for - even the ones without Cahouna Bakeries. This is normal for me and why I gave up on both X2 and X3R... The good news is that at least I seem to be able to shoot things in this version, even if I can't find a trade route worth bothering with.

GT182
January 13th, 2010, 05:24
I might be wrong but in the "Merchant Trader" option you are in a cargo ship, no guns. So, you have to change ships before you start the "class" and then you'll be in your fighter with guns and can blast away.

IanP
January 13th, 2010, 05:46
I just had a quick look and neither the Discoverer nor the Mercury that you start the "Humble Trader" scenario with are equipped with guns.

That matches a tutorial I just found as well, which says not to start with that scenario for exactly this reason.

GT182
January 13th, 2010, 06:02
Okay and thanks for that info Ian. I've never changed ships in those so it was a guess on my part. I always just ended the senario and went on to something else.

I do know tho, you guys have got to try the AMS Gunbus mod. You'll never go back to Vanilla again, it's that awesome. Trust me... life in the XUniverse will never be the same again with it. There's so much more in it it will boggle your mind. Honest.

IanP
January 13th, 2010, 07:13
Something else I just learned the hard way... I started that one to test the ships' armament status, tried to go back and load my last autosave from the Terran Defender one and I only had one autosave - the one from my Trader test. Yup. It's time for that icon again! http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/notfair.gif

I'm not really that worried. I can do the easy stuff, so am quite happy to do it again... :d

Lionheart
January 13th, 2010, 08:44
Ian,

Remember, each time you dock at a station, your game auto-saves. Then, go back to the 'load game' (Shift-L) and paruse through the very lowest saves and check the dates and times for the last auto-saves. You might find a better save point to reload back to.

Mason,

To find out how much money you have, click the P key 2 times. Your Pilot information (you) will popup and your funds (credits, bank account balance) will be at the top.

:d

Bill

IanP
January 13th, 2010, 08:53
That was the whole problem, Bill - I had four autosaves. Then I started a new "Simple Trader" character, docked him, went to load new game and had one single autosave in the list - saved about twenty seconds earlier. All the rest had vanished and haven't been seen since.

I just started a new Terran Defender again (the old one wasn't very old, so I'm not really worried) and now the autosave for my Simple Trader chappie has vanished as well. I'm using shift-s to save at important points now. :bump:

Lionheart
January 13th, 2010, 08:58
Ahhhhhhhhhh.....

Roger that.. So if you change player scenarios, you reset the entire game.

Good to know. I'll have to remember this.

Bill

GT182
January 13th, 2010, 09:42
That's why I copy my saves so I can swap them back in again.... no loss that way.

gigabyte
January 13th, 2010, 12:50
Ahhhhhhhhhh.....

Roger that.. So if you change player scenarios, you reset the entire game.

Good to know. I'll have to remember this.

Bill

Not completely reset, you will destroy your autosaves in the first 3 docks, but any save from other Starts are safe until you overwrite them, I have 2 senarios on the go right now, the AMS start - the one GT182 loves, and a Custom game with no storyline, I just have to remember AMS in slots 1-4 and Custom in 6-10. I keep five for my in flight saves. It is simpe once you get the hang of it.

harleyman
January 13th, 2010, 13:14
Thanks Bill...Got it saved to a manual of tips from you guys to cheat from....:bump:

The PP that is....For my money...

Lionheart
January 13th, 2010, 14:19
A side note.

There is a X3TC Quick Save Addon Script where you will 'not' have to be in a station. I dont know how you do it, but sounds very nice.

Takes away the stress of being in a battle and wanting to save when you are in a dangerous spot but have done alot of damage to the enemy, lol...

Bill

gigabyte
January 13th, 2010, 14:27
A side note.

There is a X3TC Quick Save Addon Script where you will 'not' have to be in a station. I dont know how you do it, but sounds very nice.

Takes away the stress of being in a battle and wanting to save when you are in a dangerous spot but have done alot of damage to the enemy, lol...

Bill

There is always the "Salvage Insurance" purchase it at various stations and you get one save for each unit of insurance, I think it is around $500 a pop but well worth having 10 or so on hand and it takes up no cargo space so if youoare in any station and see it for sale grab a few, weel worth the money.

Marlin
January 13th, 2010, 14:57
The very coolest thing about the Cycrow cheat menu is the ability to have unlimited salvage insurance.:applause:

More like, THANK GOD for that.

Lionheart
January 13th, 2010, 17:16
There is always the "Salvage Insurance" purchase it at various stations and you get one save for each unit of insurance, I think it is around $500 a pop but well worth having 10 or so on hand and it takes up no cargo space so if youoare in any station and see it for sale grab a few, weel worth the money.

Awesome! I did not know this... Very good to know.

How exactly does it work when it goes into effect, Mike?

gigabyte
January 14th, 2010, 01:30
Awesome! I did not know this... Very good to know.

How exactly does it work when it goes into effect, Mike?

Pretty simple Bill, you can buy it at most of the Terran stations, and a few other scattered ones around, Legends Home is where I got the last suppy myself. Once added to a ship you can save anywhere anytime... I keep remembering the line "Don't leave home (port) without it!...lol

It is also on the Cychrow Cheat Menu, as Unlimited Salvage Insurance, I always buy it because it is not expensive, and it takes up no space in the hold. Just remember it stays with the ship when you buy so if you change ships the insurance does not come with the pilot.

Lionheart
January 14th, 2010, 09:34
Awesome awesome....

Thanks Mike.

Yes, I did see the unlimited Salvage Insurance. I thought it was a bit overboard so I didnt do it.. Sort of like unlimited ammo, unlimited shields, etc.. Takes the fun out of it.. (unless you are really upset with a Xenon Q ship... lol).

Bill

IanP
January 14th, 2010, 10:16
I just installed the AMS mod and, to be honest, it's totally taken the challenge out of the game for me. OK, so the main game was annoying and I keep dying, but everything dies the moment I touch the trigger on the Gunbus... I might as well just be pointing a finger and saying "You're dead. You're dead." - back to the normal version I think, although I also installed the BSG ships. Wonder if the game'll let me have a Colonial Viper as a starting ship? :d

Lionheart
January 14th, 2010, 10:48
Ian, I dont think you would like fighting Xenon then with the Heavy Nemesis. :d

Something about mowing through bad guys that gives me a good feeling....

GT182
January 14th, 2010, 10:57
Ian, check out the Vidarsaurus, you have one sitting there waiting for you in Argon Prime. I liked the Gunbuss but this beast carries more cargo and it's faster too. Both are much need in this mod. ;)

Marlin
January 14th, 2010, 17:25
Sort of like unlimited ammo, unlimited shields, etc.. Takes the fun out of it.. (unless you are really upset with a Xenon Q ship... lol).

Bill

What you are talking about sounds like the God mode that is available in that Cycrow add-on. That has a shield generator that is second to none and a weapons generator that allows your weapons to stay at 100% with continuations fire. You can, and will die with it on! I had to try it out a couple of times, but like you said it takes the fun out of it. (Unless of course you have a dog named Shredder!)

Now I have to disagree with your definition about taking the fun out of it with the unlimited saves. I would rather say that it adds to the frustration of it all.

I’m into the dog fighting aspect of the game at the moment. If I see a random pirate band of let’s say 20-30 ships a ‘normal’ person in a M3 fighter would probably not take on the overwhelming odds, especially so if the last station you docked at was a long time ago. But with the Salvage insurance, you can save then see if you are bad enough to take them all on.

The deal with the unlimited insurance is that I don’t have to worry about finding a place to buy them at, then remembering to keep up the ‘inventory’. As an added benefit I add to my fighting skills by taking on stupid odds and dying, a lot!

I guess there is really no correct way and to each their own, but the unlimited amount of saves is really cool in my book.

The one thing that I wish the game had is a pause that didn’t pause the whole sim. I would be nice if you could pause and still be able to give orders to your wings or cargo ships. It is the worst when you are in the middle of battle and get the message that your freighter is under attack or some other message that is useless until after a battle, and then by that time it is usually to late.