PDA

View Full Version : FR Super Cub Flight Challenges

rsharrard
January 12th, 2010, 09:42
How about a new thread that gets all the positive stuff that you can do with Mikes Super Cubs out of the initial release thead?

Just want to say to those who haven't got the Extreme Bush versions or the Experimental...Ya can't even begin to imagine what your missing! WOW Once ya figure out how to taxi on those big 36" tundra's and control all that lifting flap surface on the experimental, there's almost no limit to were you can go.

Following Mikes instructions on STOL procedures, and especially the last part about practicing it with different weight and payload setups, has really brought a challenge back into FSX!

If you have Tungas and the Experimental Super Cub, Try taking off from Klawack PAKW, fly north to Nichin Cove. Its a Float Landing, However Just a couple houndred yards (I believe to the south) of the floating hanger, right on the shoreline, is a parking lot that looks like it has a Trailorless Semi truck parked in the middle of it. There are also a few cars in the trees. There is small road or trail that starts from that parking lot and heads up a hill. If you make your approach from the bay, dropping in over and between the trees with a slight curved flight path to your right and plan your touch down spot just as the road leaves the parking lot, you can get stopped just before that road starts up a steep hill. Best take-off is back out the direction you came but slightly to you right over the floating hanger instead of trying to clear the trees, which the experimental will do!

Best I've done so far is with the default payload and about 3/4 full in each tank... and one slight bounce:pop4:

Hope ya get a chance to try it! Robin

lawdawg
January 12th, 2010, 14:00
That sounds like a good challenge.

rsharrard
January 13th, 2010, 09:48
Any one tried this yet...had any luck? Got any challenging landing spots they'd love to share? Robin:bump:

fliger747
January 13th, 2010, 09:59
In FSX, even the stockish cub (mine) can be flown in and out of 200' or so. My cub philosophy is keep it simple, keep it light. In the Alaska Bush, the 180 hp cubs are often at a disadvantage as they weigh more and need more gas to get anywhere, which means less range or yet more weight.

FS does allow us to indulge in fantasy flights, unrestrained by real world costs and other issues of practicality, and of course an ability to practice and operate in a zero cost crash mode as well. One of it's big advantages! That and the "insurance" on your computer is cheaper.....

Good job Mike!

T

Wombat_VC
January 13th, 2010, 19:04
In FSX, even the stockish cub (mine) can be flown in and out of 200' or so. My cub philosophy is keep it simple, keep it light. In the Alaska Bush, the 180 hp cubs are often at a disadvantage as they weigh more and need more gas to get anywhere, which means less range or yet more weight.
T

So, for a real life Cub/Supercub, which engine gives the best power, weight and range balance?

rsharrard
January 13th, 2010, 20:44
Point well made! It's still nice to live in a fantasy world sometimes, but imagine that its somewhat real. I remember my first real lesson in the Philipines in a Cessna 150 with long range tanks, I was about 200 ibs and my instructoe the same and the tanks were full, hot day etc... Good thing it was a long Military runway. That was a lesson in weight and balance, had to switch to the clubs Cessna 172 for the rest of my lessons. I doubt at 300ibs today that I'd even be able to fit in a real cub, let alone fly one.

Thanks for the reality reminder anyway... I posted a question in the other post about temp ranges, best rate of climp and RPM settings etc... can you elaborate. Thanks Robin