PDA

View Full Version : I gotta fix!

Cazzie
January 12th, 2010, 02:00
Mike, Ted, Mason, etc.

My MB is just not compatible with the GTX 260 card. I went to Tiger Direct yesterday and hooked up with a tech there I like. Michael and I went through every known alley we could to get the 260 to work, including adding a higher power supply, that's to my plus anyhow. We even swapped the 260 I bought for another and got the same issues. We then tried a 9800 GT card and boom, it took, so I got another 9800 card, SLI'd it and boom, we're in business again. So I couldn't get the card I wanted, but I have two better cards than I had and the sims, for what little I flew last night due to fatigue, did excellent.

So for a measurable time, Caz has a fully armed and operational battle station. :icon_lol:

harleyman
January 12th, 2010, 03:39
Wow...I have nevr heard od that happenein..

Did he ever say why it was not compatable??

Or was it just the controllers on the chipset were not fast enough maybe??/

Glad you are back in business again and loving life..:applause::applause:

jmig
January 12th, 2010, 03:40
I am glad you got it resolved, Computer problems add to the aging process. They should be outlawed.

:ernae:

Cazzie
January 12th, 2010, 03:50
Mason, we were both at wit's end. Everything should have taken, plenty of amperes going to the PCI-e slot, new power supply gave that, before, I had enough overall watts, but the amperes going to the PCI-e slot was too low for a 260. For those that don't know, one needs the same electrical charge to power up a 260 as one does for their car!

Anyhow, there was no way I was going to swap out the MB for one that would except the 260, leave the tower over there for a few days, and return to have to do everything over with a reformatted drive!

Sometime in the next two years, depending on health and finances, I hope to build a new tower with W7 and what ever is near top-of-the-line hardware. Who knows, I might even consult someone I know down in North Cacalackly, who is only about a two-hour drive away. :salute:

Caz

Chacha
January 12th, 2010, 04:17
:ernae:

Good to know you are back in circulation! :applause:

harleyman
January 12th, 2010, 04:57
Where the heck is this --------> North Cacalackly ??? LOL

For those who don't know..

Power Supplies that run 2 or more 12V rails are weak and not really what you want for a gaming computer..they provide typically low amps to each rail..

You want a PSU with a strong Single 12V rail, with minimum 50 amps on that rail. That will push your bigger cards and also handle SLI or CrossfireX...