PDA

View Full Version : Turning off stall clicker and AP on/off sounds

kelticheart
January 12th, 2010, 00:53
A good day and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everybody! :wavey:

First of all I want to send many many thanks to Ickie, the FDG2 team and the PHP team for their wonderful, whiskers-lickin' Christmas and New Year gifts!

I have my hands full with new addons to install for the rest of the month! :jump:

About the topic of this thread, since I installed some new aircraft a while ago, which in all honesty I can't remember, near every time I take a flight I have my room filled with clicks and beeps when taking off or approaching the stall speed. I also reckognised among those beeps the ones used by CFS2 when the autopilot is turned off.

It also happens with all aircrafts whose soundfiles are aliased to a specific sound set. It doesn't happen with every aircraft I have, but it sure annoys the hell out of me because WWII aircrafts did not feature aural warning sounds like a modern airliner jet.

Are the stall sounds part of single sound sets or are they stored in CFS2 root \SOUND folder?

How can they be turned off:

thorugh the soundset sound.cfg?
deleting the file in CFS2 root \SOUND folder?
in the aircraft.cfg or airfile?
:confused:
I am sorry I have not been very present on this forum in the last two months, but life took the best part of my free time and kept me away from the pc at home.

Two huge snowfalls around Christmas, coupled with my elderly mom, who fell on a patch of ice injuring her left foot and ankle on Jan. 2nd, kept me rather busy. Thank God she didn't break any bone, but she still can't walk around very well, so I have to be on call almost every day for the time being.

I wanted to upload new props for some of the recent uploads, but I couldn't spare the time to paint them. I hope to be able to do it soon!

Cheers!
:snowman: KH :ernae:

Shessi
January 12th, 2010, 01:07
Hi KH,
And a Happy New Year to you!

The easiest way, if you want it to apply to ALL your ac, is to just remove/delete/re-name the specific wav file for that sound, hey-presto! no stall warning.

Also within airfiles is a stall warning marker option. I think you can turn off specific ac stall warnings by deleting/changing this entry.

I know what you mean, as I deleted the ai/wingman ac engine sounds as in real life you would not be able to hear other ac sounds whilst flying.

Cheers Shessi

bobhegf
January 12th, 2010, 02:09
The only time you will hear the sound of the engines of other aircraft while you are in your aircraft is when you are next to the runway and a group takeoff togeather.It still should not be as loud as it is in CFS2 as sharp a sound.It should be a nice mellow round engine sound that is not very loud.The only time you should here the engine sound is if the the AI AC comes with in about 10FT of your aircraft and then it shouldn`t be loud but a very soft sound.I sure wish someone would make up a nice correct AI sound group for CFS2.

OBIO
January 12th, 2010, 02:18
Keltic

The lines of code that control the AP Disconnect and Stall sounds are found in the sound.cfg file within each sound pack. These lines look like this:

[AP_DISENGAGE_SOUND]
filename=no_ap

[stall_warning]
filename=stall

These lines direct the sim to play the specified sound file when the AP is turned off or the plane goes into a stall. Those specified sound files can be found in the sound pack itself or in the main SOUND folder of CFS2...the sim always looks inside the sound pack folder for the specified sound file first. Sometimes the author of the sound pack will include files for these sounds, some times he will direct the sim to use the stock sounds in the main SOUND folder.

You can kill the AP_Disengage_Sound and the Stall_Warning sound by doing this simple modification within the sound.cfg file with your sound pack folders.

//[AP_DISENGAGE_SOUND]
//filename=no_ap

//[stall_warning]
//filename=stall

Adding the // in front of the lines causes the sim not to read these lines and thus not to play the sounds.

OBIO

kelticheart
January 12th, 2010, 03:07
Keltic

The lines of code that control the AP Disconnect and Stall sounds are found in the sound.cfg file within each sound pack. These lines look like this:

[AP_DISENGAGE_SOUND]
filename=no_ap

[stall_warning]
filename=stall

These lines direct the sim to play the specified sound file when the AP is turned off or the plane goes into a stall. Those specified sound files can be found in the sound pack itself or in the main SOUND folder of CFS2...the sim always looks inside the sound pack folder for the specified sound file first. Sometimes the author of the sound pack will include files for these sounds, some times he will direct the sim to use the stock sounds in the main SOUND folder.

You can kill the AP_Disengage_Sound and the Stall_Warning sound by doing this simple modification within the sound.cfg file with your sound pack folders.

//[AP_DISENGAGE_SOUND]
//filename=no_ap

//[stall_warning]
//filename=stall

Adding the // in front of the lines causes the sim not to read these lines and thus not to play the sounds.

OBIO

Thank you very much Obio!

I will turn off all AP sounds in all of my sound packs and redirect all stall warning sounds to some nice wind buffeting sounds I collected through the years.

In my opinion, this should be a real life stall sound in a WWII aircraft: the wind turbulence sounds created by the stalling wing.

Cheers!
:snowman: KH :ernae:

Dirtman
January 12th, 2010, 04:53
Yo Kelti;

It would seem Obi has covered this issue completely. (cuz he's my HERO! :medals:)

However there is an easy "fix" for anyone who is not overly computer literate:

I have re-created and uploaded a "null" (silent) stall horn sound file.
When added to the "SOUNDS" folder it replaces that original annoying "beep-beep-beep" with silence.

Easy, simple, quick & fast ...... plus the red "STALL" warning will still appear on-screen.

Find it here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=11892 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/../index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=11892)

And for those with a twisted sense of humour (like me) I've also created a naughtier version ... it goes: " oh sh*t ... Oh Sh*t!! ... OH SH*T!!! "

I can't upload it to SOH due to the language but is available from me. Anyone who wants it can PM me with their email & I'll ship it to them.

:ernae: