PDA

View Full Version : New camera...

djscoo
January 11th, 2010, 13:00
My camera came in today...I went with the XSi because it was cheaper with a better kit lens. Here's my first shot :jump:
Her name is Mary...

Chacha
January 11th, 2010, 13:02
cool shot of Mary....

Mary's just chillin'....

Kiwikat
January 11th, 2010, 16:21
Awesome choice on the camera... :applause: :salute:

Cute kitty! :d

If you run into any questions on the camera or photography in general, feel free to PM or email me. I'll try to answer them! Even better yet, I'm almost always on msn/windows live messenger. (I may be invisible though... lol)

Chacha
January 11th, 2010, 16:35
Awesome choice on the camera... :applause: :salute:

Cute kitty! :d

If you run into any questions on the camera or photography in general, feel free to PM or email me. I'll try to answer them! Even better yet, I'm almost always on msn/windows live messenger. (I may be invisible though... lol)

I will PMing you as well... :icon_lol:

Thanks, Will! :pop4:

luckydog
January 11th, 2010, 20:54
Good choice !!

I use my Xsi for 50% of my photography. When comparing photos between it and one of my 5Ds, its hard to tell the difference!!

djscoo
January 11th, 2010, 21:32
That picture is 25% of the original size of the photo btw...I opened it up and was like BAM! I haven't had a chance to mess around with settings yet, I only have one class tomorrow so I should have plenty of time to play around. :jump:

luckydog
January 11th, 2010, 21:46
That picture is 25% of the original size of the photo btw...I opened it up and was like BAM! I haven't had a chance to mess around with settings yet, I only have one class tomorrow so I should have plenty of time to play around. :jump:

OH YEA !!

You just wait!!!

Kiwikat
January 11th, 2010, 22:02

Just a couple quick "tips". Shoot in RAW not jpeg, and save your final pictures in the highest quality jpeg in Photoshop, or TIF if you plan on editing them later on.

Since I went from jpeg to RAW, I've never looked back. The increase in detail is definitely noticeable. Besides, YOU know what you want your photo to look like, why have your camera GUESS for you?

JorisVandenBerghe
January 11th, 2010, 23:58
Eh, I see you're talking about a better kitlens...I assume it's the 18-55 IS you mean ? Or did Canon come up with a new (kit)lens (except for the 15-85 and 18-135) that I haven't heard of yet :) ?

Will, regarding that 'guessing' thing, I must say my trusty A350 gives me about what I want in JPEG...It are only slight adjustments that I make, tiny bits of extra contrast, saturation, sharpness, and that's about it...:kilroy:

Congratulations on the new camera, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Panther_99FS
January 12th, 2010, 03:40
Congratulations on your new equipment! :ernae:

kilo delta
January 12th, 2010, 05:41
Congrats :ernae:

djscoo
January 12th, 2010, 09:08
Eh, I see you're talking about a better kitlens...I assume it's the 18-55 IS you mean ? Or did Canon come up with a new (kit)lens (except for the 15-85 and 18-135) that I haven't heard of yet :) ?

Will, regarding that 'guessing' thing, I must say my trusty A350 gives me about what I want in JPEG...It are only slight adjustments that I make, tiny bits of extra contrast, saturation, sharpness, and that's about it...:kilroy:

Congratulations on the new camera, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Is this some animosity towards Canon I'm hearing?:icon_lol:

I guess I should have clarified... My choices were a T1i body and a refurbished 18-55, or a XSi kit with an 18-55 IS. The XSi kit was around 70 bucks cheaper, and I figured I could live without video, so I went with the XSi.

About shooting in RAW...I'm just now reading the manual so I'm getting there. Can I adjust RAWs in Photoshop, or should I use the Canon software?

Kiwikat
January 12th, 2010, 09:19
The 18-55 IS lens isn't actually that bad. The only real downsides are CA and build quality. The thing feels like it could fall apart in your hands its built so cheaply. Image quality is otherwise excellent and quite surprising for such a cheap lens.

You made a good choice when you chose the XSi over the T1i, IMHO. Unless you have a bunch of L glass, the 15 megapixel sensor would outresolve the attached lens most of the time.

I think the XSi is the perfect beginner/amateur camera.

As far as photoshop and DPP go, I use DPP to preview the shots and then I open the RAW files in photoshop (which really opens them in adobe camera raw, a completely separate program). Then when you are done making the changes to the raw files in ACR, I open them in photoshop and make small corrections like sharpening and maybe some color and contrast adjustments. Photoshop also has the handy lens correction tool, which lets you fix CA's, vignetting, distortion, etc.

djscoo
January 12th, 2010, 10:12
Agreed on build quality...It's more plastic-ey than I was expecting, and the manual focus and zoom rings don't move as smoothly as I would like...

JorisVandenBerghe
January 12th, 2010, 10:43
Agreed on build quality...It's more plastic-ey than I was expecting, and the manual focus and zoom rings don't move as smoothly as I would like...Same with my 18-70 kitlens. Takes fair pictures, optical it's decent for it's price, but it's far from 'L' or 'G' class...

Like you said in another topic Will, you get what you pay for...if you want top-notch L or G glass, you'll have to pay for it.

Wish Carl Zeiss' lenses Zeiss-Alpha were cheaper...would love to have a CZ ZA-24-70 f/2.8. But spending yet another € 1500 on a lens *cough*...perhaps I should set up a topic like you did :icon_lol:. Options: waiting for Sony's A700 successor or spending maybe twice as much money on the lens...tough choice.

Panther_99FS
January 12th, 2010, 16:40
Is this some animosity towards Canon I'm hearing?:icon_lol:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:.....Camera brand-name rivalries oftentimes, reminds me of NASCAR :d

Cloud9Gal
January 12th, 2010, 17:23
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy057.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

djscoo~ http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Others/others-076.GIF (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Others-Smileys.html) Two thumbs up on your new "toy"! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Others/others-076.GIF (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Others-Smileys.html)

Enjoy to the fullest!

EasyEd
January 12th, 2010, 19:33
Hey All,

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:.....Camera brand-name rivalries oftentimes, reminds me of NASCAR :d

Now I don care who you are that's funny! :bump:

I take it Nikon is Jimmy Spencer and Canon is Darrel Waltrip!

-Ed-