PDA

View Full Version : ATI & Dual Monitor Set-Up

harleyman
November 2nd, 2008, 11:07
I'm trying to learn to set up dual monitors for FSX..First off can it only be done in Windowed mode? Or will it also work in Full Screen mode?

I just want my second monitor for dragging items too during flight(like...ATC...Guages...GPS...Switches...etc)

I can do this with Nvidia but on this 4870X2 I'm lost

Any tips are greatly appreciated.......:wavey:

-(F^S)-Biglazy_01
November 2nd, 2008, 11:39
it can be done start in windowed mode move things where you want then go full screen. I use triple monitors but fly in windowed mode anyway. I get the same FPS.

SkippyBing
November 2nd, 2008, 12:39
Works in full screen too, just drag the windows onto the other screen. The difference I've noticed with windowed vs full screen is that it seems to take a bit longer to load textures in windowed mode, probably because the graphics card is still using some memory for the other screen.

harleyman
November 2nd, 2008, 18:15
Great..Then it works just like Nvidia Control panel does......YEA:applause:

Thanks for the info.As soon as I get my rig back I will check it out....:wavey:

I had heard that it could only be done in windowed mode but did not have the chance to test it for sure...

harleyman
November 3rd, 2008, 03:17
Isen't there something you need to do also in FSX about *Undocking* ???

:wavey:

-(F^S)-Biglazy_01
November 3rd, 2008, 06:17
well in my system i dont have to worry about it using memory on the other screen. I use an ati 3870 on my primary monitor and a 2400 for the other 2. so the good card is dedicated to the main screen. I prefer windowed mode as im usually doing other things at the time im flying.

harleyman
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52
well in my system i dont have to worry about it using memory on the other screen. I use an ati 3870 on my primary monitor and a 2400 for the other 2. so the good card is dedicated to the main screen. I prefer windowed mode as im usually doing other things at the time im flying.

Thanks for that Big Lazy 01.... Does that mean that by undocking (whatever that is ) allows memory from the cards to do something? I'm confused by your post...Sorry..its par for the coarse for me...:banghead: LOL

I will be using only one 4870X2 on two monitors

harleyman
November 4th, 2008, 03:48
Sorry ..Just bumping this still looking into this un-docking deal...Thanks .....:d

harleyman
January 9th, 2009, 11:20
OK...I drug this out of the archives....i can't figure it out...In the Catalist Control Center I have the option to

Extend

Clone

Do I choose one over the other..I have tried both and they just both give me a desktop on both and I can't even set the resolution on my second monitor seperatly......

Leaving it all off the second monitor has nothing on it....And undocking a ,say radio it will just bump into the side bezel of that main monitor and not go across...

BTW...I have a 4870X2 card.....Thanks

srgalahad
January 9th, 2009, 11:48
IIRC, you undock it, drag to the side until it 'bumps' then dock it again and you should be able to grab it on the second monitor.

SkippyBing
January 9th, 2009, 12:48
Extend, I think, extends the desktop across both monitors, to change the resolution Display Properties->Settings and then click on the monitor you want to change the settings of in the little diagram. I say I think because it may be treating both monitors as one with that setting, but I'm 99% sure that's Span mode.
Clone just puts the same thing on both monitors.
In windowed mode right click the display you want to move and select 'Undock Window' then you can drag it where you want, you don't have to dock it and grab it on the other window. If it won't move across, check the displays are the right way around, i.e. the one that's on the left is the one Windows thinks is on the left! The same Display Properties tab as above shows you how Windows thinks things are laid out, just press the Identify button to get the display ids to show.
You don't need to undock anything in Full Screen, or if you've dragged Windowed mode across two screens.

SkippyBing
January 9th, 2009, 13:30
well in my system i dont have to worry about it using memory on the other screen. I use an ati 3870 on my primary monitor and a 2400 for the other 2. so the good card is dedicated to the main screen. I prefer windowed mode as im usually doing other things at the time im flying.I used to do that, but I found I couldn't run both PCI-Express slots at full whack at the same time so I get better performance with the one good card at full speed doing both displays rather than the 'primary' display having the good card at half speed. Obviously your mileage may vary.

Just tried the 'Horizontal Span' setting with nVidia, set the game resolution to 2560x1024 et voila (n.b resized to meet file size limit).
http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1231394846/gallery_4923_242_984118.jpg

http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1231394846/gallery_4923_242_984118.jpg (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=7842)
http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1231394846/gallery_4923_242_984118.jpg (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=7842)

harleyman
January 9th, 2009, 15:37
YEA I got it finally...don't know what i did..but I just backed it all up ...

Thanks for all the replies guys....:ernae: