PDA

View Full Version : SOH Practice #3

srgalahad
January 11th, 2010, 05:57
General Rules Overview:
This is a Race Around Africa. The Start is near the center of the continent, then Groups will proceed to a coastal point (of your choosing) on the Route, thence around the continent (clockwise or counter-clockwise) until the circumnavigation is complete, and then inward to the Finish (same as the start location).

Aircraft allowed are as in the RTWR Rules of 2009, separated into 5 Classes (2 default classes with additions; regular RTWR race a/c; subsonic jets; long range, multi-engine pistons).

As this will not be operated "in real time" legs may be flown in, and clocks set, to an appropriate local time - with the requirement that a specified number of legs must be flown in darkness.

Crashes and associated 'penalties' are laid out in the detailed rules. The Wingman Transfer Rule applies (and use of a wingman is encouraged). Standard RTW baton posts will be used. No bonuses are involved. Each Group will be responsible for tracking (tabulating) the night flights completed.

Aircraft and simulator settings are to conform to the RTWR Rules.

Additional and specific rules are posted in the restricted Team Forum.

Spectators can watch for updates, flight reports and stories of the practice here. For more information about Team SOH or the Round The World Race, feel free to ask!

The RTWR is just a few weeks away! :kilroy:

Rob

PRB
January 11th, 2010, 16:44
Thanks, Rob. Looking forward to the next fun-filled race practice! :jump:

jkcook28
January 12th, 2010, 12:42
Two days now and zero response from anyone? Is anyone going to participate? Too complicated? Too boring? Too soon? Too Late?
One thing I guarantee; we are not too good.
Let's see some sign of life, otherwise real raceday will be most unpleasant...

AussieMan
January 12th, 2010, 13:02
What server is to be used for online flying ..... ATM I have no facility for flying online.

Cheers
Pat

PRB
January 12th, 2010, 13:29
Pat, the server we have been using for online flying is MoparMike's server (mape.gotdns.org). But, keep in mind that it is not required to fly online, only that you have an Internet connection so the duenna works properly, and, of course, so you can keep track of what's going on here, and make “I have the baton” posts, etc.

srgalahad
January 12th, 2010, 13:32
any that you choose or agree on Pat. Most use either Mopar's or Dave's. Of course ther's no requirement to fly online but updates are important in the 'group' thread so your mates can keep current.

Nonno
January 12th, 2010, 19:39
Thank you Srgalahad for the breakdown on the rules. You spelled everything out very clearly, but I'm pretty thick headed so I still have some questions. Was wondering if their were any intentions of some type of briefing on TS before friday?

Moses03
January 12th, 2010, 19:46
Two days now and zero response from anyone?

This from the guy who waits a month before answering in the registration thread...:173go1::icon_lol:

Kowalski65
January 13th, 2010, 01:57
well Im definitely up for it-how much freedom the other half allows me though remains to be seen...here's hoping she retires to bed to recouperate from pneumonia,as opposed to rushing about liek she normally does!

srgalahad
January 13th, 2010, 07:27
well Im definitely up for it-how much freedom the other half allows me though remains to be seen...here's hoping she retires to bed to recouperate from pneumonia,as opposed to rushing about liek she normally does!

Gee.. sounds like she needs some proper medication...
multiple hot rum toddys?
a good "drowsy" cold/sinus med?
the car keys, a credit card and a map of the mall?
:icon_lol:

Nonno, there was no plan for a "briefing" but I'll be on Dave's TeamSpeak server this evening (Wed.) about 7-9 pm CST Both TS2 & TS3 (although I'm beginning to like TS3 better). and possibly during the day on Thursday (I get a free dinner Thursday evening! so I'll be AWOL). If they are 'general' questions about format, etc feel free to ask here as well.

Also, I don't know what your Group has been doing, but you can always PM them to see if anyone's home :mixedsmi:

Rob

Spookster67
January 13th, 2010, 08:08
Hi Rob,

Is this a private SOH practice, or can anyone join in...?! :wavey:

It sounds like you've got groups of pilots racing against each other. If you didn't mind, could a bunch of us from iFlyOnline join in as another group? Or course if there's anything private that you're practicing or discussing, we don't want to stick our noses in, but if it's a challenge that is using the basic RTW rules then a bit of friendly inter-forum racing before the big day might be fun.

At the moment I'm setting various challenges for the iFlyOnline team practices, but I'm running out of new ideas... :isadizzy:

All the best,
Martin.

jkcook28
January 13th, 2010, 13:04
This from the guy who waits a month before answering in the registration thread...:173go1::icon_lol:

Aww man, that's cold!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent069.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

whitehawk_2009
January 13th, 2010, 17:42
I'm waiting for my replacement HD from Newegg.... I can post, but not fly.:kilroy:

WH

Haitun
January 13th, 2010, 22:03
Me vice versa - someone blocked SOH in Russia, so right now I can fly but cannot guarantee posting.

Planes-11
January 14th, 2010, 03:28
Pat, the server we have been using for online flying is MoparMike's server (mape.gotdns.org). But, keep in mind that it is not required to fly online, only that you have an Internet connection so the duenna works properly, and, of course, so you can keep track of what's going on here, and make “I have the baton” posts, etc.

Hi Guys, is mike's server good for TS as well? Just tried to connect - is my security blocking connection to the server or is the server not online now - time 12:24 London? See below:-

<12:20:50> Trying to resolve hostname mape.gotdns.org
<12:20:50> Connecting to server 209.180.59.74:8767
<12:20:58> Failed to connect to server
<12:21:27> Trying to resolve hostname mape.gotdns.org
<12:21:28> Connecting to server 209.180.59.74:8767
<12:21:33> Failed to connect to server
<12:21:46> Trying to resolve hostname mape.gotdns.org
<12:21:47> Connecting to server 209.180.59.74:8767
<12:21:52> Failed to connect to server

Thanks,

Mike

jkcook28
January 14th, 2010, 06:58
Me vice versa - someone blocked SOH in Russia, so right now I can fly but cannot guarantee posting.

Viktor,
See these two threads, they explain what's going on. I believe Ickie can manually allow you through if you contact him.
Someone who knows more about this can expand on it for you.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=26906&highlight=ickie

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=27742&highlight=ickie

Haitun
January 15th, 2010, 00:12
The problem is that I absolutely cannot get a static IP while in Moscow (i use wimax) and have absolutely no idea if it will be possible to get a static IP in China.
I think I'll work it out in a week.

srgalahad
January 15th, 2010, 03:20
..... and they're OFF!!! (well, almost)
Group Red, hot to trot, got right underway! Out of FTTG for FKKR in the Cameroon at approximately 2 minutes after the gun.
Group Blue, perhaps due to a bit more pre-race partying, was still prepping their aircraft but keen to launch as well.

Onward and upward - be safe!

Update: The Blue Man Group has posted - to the same destination in a LearJet with a well-stocked galley, a brief 20 minutes after their rivals

srgalahad
January 15th, 2010, 05:01
First leg:

Team Blue ( Flork in the default LearJet) has reached FKKR with a safe landing. Flying Bull is off in the DH Hornet, heading for DNPO.

Team Red ( Kowalski65 in the A-3 Skywarrior) had an "unfortunate event" on approach and the baton appears headed back to FTTG.

So now the challenge begins!!
I'll be putting up the stats starting a bit later today.

srgalahad
January 17th, 2010, 12:10
Sorry folks... the media were distracted by the beaches and forgot to file updates.

The Teams have been moving along quite smartly since a few early "events" bogged down progress.

Group Blue has raced up the west coast of Africa with
--smilo leading the way in a newly-acquired Canadair Argonaut ( his first crack at the piston-liners) and eased into a smallish strip at GLCP.
After that it was easy run through GFHA and GOSS, GMMH to GCXO
--After that things got a bit sticky...
--Nonno lost the aircraft during an overshoot at destination at GMTN (back to GCXO)
--smilo ran into joystick problems (calibration) which slowed his leg (Moses03 on the wing) and ended up with a crash into terrain trying to land (Wingman Transfer)
--once again they're oof and running across the "top of Africa --GEML - DAAB - DTKA - DTTA -HL0C
--now running the gauntlet of Lybian MiGs across the Gulf of Sidrah and the "Line of Death"

Group Red has also had it's share of adventures:
Right off the bat, a crash at FKKR...
Then MoparMike took the baton and got to FKKR in spite of a failed Duenna (alternate validation accepted) with Firebar as wing.
-- Then Planes-11 ran into a computer issue (appears to be OOM error) and crashed on final at DNPO
-- leg reflown succesfully by Dain Arns in the Lear 45 on his first trip with the baton. Now to decide which way to turn along the coast.
--aha! south to FNSO by Tako-Kichi with DD on his wing in a new A-7 Corsair II
--FNLU - FNBG - FNUB and getting into the required night flights!
--Dain's off again FNUB - FYWB in the P-38, followed by DangerousDave to FAAb, Dain again to FALW (reporting "strange wind effects" as did his unfortunate wingman:pop4: )
--FALW to FACT (Tako & Dave) in the required helicopter (#1), picked up by Dain in t'other helicopter to FAOB -- (they are REALLY cranking off the legs now! :running:)
--DD26 launches out of FAOB only to have a sim crash 25 minutes after departure - restarting...
--after a successful trip by Dave into FAEL, Planes-11 launched on his way to FAVG, only to "hit the wall" with deadly frame rates. Baton picked up by MoparMike in the mighty Howard 500.
-- Mike dropped the baton at FAVG - quickly scooped by DD2 in a puttering C-172 which puttered to a stop with a "fuel issue" (dip those tanks Dave!) but he bravely grabbed a Jerry Can and went all the way to FARB
--Dain was there waiting and grabbed his trusty P-38 on a smooth run to FQIN
--wow! there goes the duo of DD26 and Tako again.. FQIN to FQBR -- braving level 4 turbulence to safely reach their destination in trusty DC-3's

We'll be back later with more updates from the Wonderful World of Racing

smilo
January 17th, 2010, 18:39
heading for HSPN at 30,000