PDA

View Full Version : Anisotropic Filtering

kurt190
January 11th, 2010, 00:53
Hi,

How do i get AF working from my video cards? I'm using nHancer in Win7 but the AF I can get functioning is from within FSX......

I wanted to use the card in order to "destress" my CPU.

kurt

Trans_23
January 11th, 2010, 08:27
Video cards usually come with software for adjusting video settings.

kurt190
January 11th, 2010, 10:01
I've been using, actually trying to use the nVidia control panel and/or nHancer. I can't seem to get any AF unless it is ticked within FSX and then I only get the FSX in game AF.

kurt

harleyman
January 11th, 2010, 10:46
I think that you need to untic it in FSX..

In the Nvidia Control set it to Application to run it

In NHancer then set your AA and AF

Roger
January 11th, 2010, 10:49
Nick Needham recommends leaving both off in game and adding them in N'hancer.
Here's the link to his complete guide:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

kurt190
January 11th, 2010, 13:29
Hi Roger, I know Nick recommends using "in-game" but I wanted to take the strain off the main CPU and get the vid cards GPU busy - that should lead to better more consistant frames - in theory. It has certainly worked with AA.

Harleyman, Ill give it a try that way round.....

Thanks guys

kurt

Dangerous Beans
January 11th, 2010, 14:19
kurt, are you running FSX in DX9 or DX10 ?
NHancer is ignored by FSX in DX10

J van E
January 12th, 2010, 01:23
Nick Needham recommends leaving both off in game and adding them in N'hancer.
No, he says you should set filtering to Trilinear in FSX itself (and only FSAA to off). FSX will still use the Anisotropic filtering that you set with nHancer (16x), but somehow you have to keep it on in FSX to get it working... Computers are weird things. :jump:

kurt190
January 12th, 2010, 07:55
kurt, are you running FSX in DX9 or DX10 ?
NHancer is ignored by FSX in DX10

I'm in DX9.

kurt

J van E
January 12th, 2010, 09:03
BTW About 'destressing' your CPU: I doubt if it works that way. The GPU takes care of FSAA and AF no matter what: the main difference is where the instructions come from. I think. There may be a difference in quality when using FSAA from FSX or via nHancer, but I doubt if there is a difference in CPU-load. There is of course a difference in GPU-load...! Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about getting nHancer to take care of AF, because it won't really matter as far as CPU-load is concerned. Once again: I think, because I am no expert. ;)

So my advice: set FSAA up the way you want it with nHancer, set it to Trilineair in FSX and that should do the trick!

harleyman
January 12th, 2010, 10:12
BTW About 'destressing' your CPU: I doubt if it works that way. The GPU takes care of FSAA and AF no matter what: the main difference is where the instructions come from. I think. There may be a difference in quality when using FSAA from FSX or via nHancer, but I doubt if there is a difference in CPU-load. There is of course a difference in GPU-load...! Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about getting nHancer to take care of AF, because it won't really matter as far as CPU-load is concerned. Once again: I think, because I am no expert. ;)

So my advice: set FSAA up the way you want it with nHancer, set it to Trilineair in FSX and that should do the trick!

Agreed........

kurt190
January 12th, 2010, 12:21
Cheers chaps - will give it a try.

kurt