PDA

View Full Version : First Post and Help Request...

Planes-11
January 10th, 2010, 09:27
Hi Everyone, nice to meet you all this side of the fence and also happy to see some fs9 oldies here too.

I have now got a copy of standard fsx and have tried to install it on my Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop with Vista, just to see how it looks. I do not expect any great shakes using the laptop, with its limited performance but was really interested in the graphics quality for a few minutes of flight to see how it looks.

Fsx will not run on my XP Desktop and I get a more powerful rigg through work shortly. In the mean time I tried to install fsx on the vostro but it won't let me. The problem is my brother in-law borrowed the laptop over the holidays, installed a later version of fsx - Delux on it and uninstalled it before handing it back to me a week ago. Now when I tried to install the standard version of fsx, I get a message asking me if I want to update fsx, and when I click yes as this is the only way to advance the installation, it stops me with a message that says there is a later version of fsx installed on the pc and the installation will be terminated.

There must be some registry file or something hanging on someplace that is telling the new installation that fsx-delux is installed. I have looked all over and cannot find any file related to fsx on the pc.

So guys, where do I look to try and sort this out and at least have a limited first look at what fsx is all about?

Thanks in advance guys...much appreciated.

aeromed202
January 10th, 2010, 09:40
Welcome. My humble comp skills and experience suggest you try one or both of two things.
First see if you can get and install that first FSx version. If it installs use its own un-installer to take it out. Your BIL may not have done it that way which will leave a mess.
Second is to DL a nice utility called REVO Uninstaller. Once you check it out it does a decent job of ferreting out all those entrails from a bad un-install. I've had great results with it for just this sort of erradication
Personally I don't touch registry things manually. I'd kill my rig for sure although there are those who have tried to lead me throught to fix something. Gives me the willies:blind:

Hope this helps.

Daube
January 10th, 2010, 09:50
Two last warnings:

- The standard version of FSX has to be avoided. The gold version is the best choice, since it contains the Deluxe version as well as the Acceleration pacl, all in one. The various FS forums are fll of people complaining about the standard version because they do not get the Goose and the Maule ;)

- The limited power of your computer will simply prevent you from seing the real graphics advantages in FSX. When the CPU power is not up to the task, most of the ground textures quickly get blurry and the autogen pops in very late, with a lot of bugs. When the video card memory gets overloaded, the game usually crash after a lot of very strange graphical anomalies.

It was just to warn you that you will most likely be very dissapointed by what you will see ;)

Planes-11
January 10th, 2010, 09:50
Welcome. My humble comp skills and experience suggest you try one or both of two things.
First see if you can get and install that first FSx version. If it installs use its own un-installer to take it out. Your BIL may not have done it that way which will leave a mess.
Second is to DL a nice utility called REVO Uninstaller. Once you check it out it does a decent job of ferreting out all those entrails from a bad un-install. I've had great results with it for just this sort of erradication
Personally I don't touch registry things manually. I'd kill my rig for sure although there are those who have tried to lead me throught to fix something. Gives me the willies:blind:

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that a great deal. The REVO Option is the way to go here I think. The other option is perhaps a no-no due to the guy having a head with a capital "D"....

Planes-11
January 10th, 2010, 09:52
Two last warnings:

- The standard version of FSX has to be avoided. The gold version is the best choice, since it contains the Deluxe version as well as the Acceleration pacl, all in one. The various FS forums are fll of people complaining about the standard version because they do not get the Goose and the Maule ;)

- The limited power of your computer will simply prevent you from seing the real graphics advantages in FSX. When the CPU power is not up to the task, most of the ground textures quickly get blurry and the autogen pops in very late, with a lot of bugs. When the video card memory gets overloaded, the game usually crash after a lot of very strange graphical anomalies.

It was just to warn you that you will most likely be very dissapointed by what you will see ;)

Thanks for the input Daube, I will not then attempt to "Fry" anything tonight except the Gammon Steak....:icon_lol:

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 10:15
Without the other copy to reinstall, so that it can be uninstalled properly , you have one option...

You need to do this...

Remove all the following.......

Everything FSX in program files..( with vista search both folders)

Under users, your name , Roaming, delete all FSX entries also

Go to Start..Run..Type in REGEDIT (that opens regestry)

there you will find 4 dropdown extensions...

Only three of them will have a *Software* tab in them.

Browse all three software folders and hunt FSX, and remove all entries. (may be under Miscrosoft ,FSX too )

That should allow you to install the other copy...

If not, then there is still stuff thers unfound...Maybe a system restore now might work back to a time before FSX was installed ...

Planes-11
January 10th, 2010, 11:09
Without the other copy to reinstall, so that it can be uninstalled properly , you have one option...

You need to do this...

Remove all the following.......

Everything FSX in program files..( with vista search both folders)

Under users, your name , Roaming, delete all FSX entries also

Go to Start..Run..Type in REGEDIT (that opens regestry)

there you will find 4 dropdown extensions...

Only three of them will have a *Software* tab in them.

Browse all three software folders and hunt FSX, and remove all entries. (may be under Miscrosoft ,FSX too )

That should allow you to install the other copy...

If not, then there is still stuff thers unfound...Maybe a system restore now might work back to a time before FSX was installed ...

Thanks Harleyman, some valid information there.

REVO UNINSTALLER.....I installed the free version and set it to work. What a star. It sorted it out and found some other tricky stuff too. Got rid of the baddies and all is well. This is a really great tool and an excellent find that is now hard at work on my desktop too.

Thank you Gents, this is one of the reasons I love this place. I am also starting to feel at home now with you fsX-factor types...:icon_lol: