PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MultiCFS3 during ETO Expansion install

Remlinger55
September 29th, 2008, 09:39
Hi Folks,

Well, installing the ETO Expansion seems to have gone OK to a point this time - until I found that MultiCFS3 brings up an error message when run - "Problem Modifying File!". I gather from Martin Wright's description of the tool that this probably means it cannot find my install of F:\Combat Flight Simulator 3 and therefore cannot be used but I see no workaround. Anyone any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Regards,

Remlinger55.

writer301
September 29th, 2008, 09:55
Hi Folks,

Well, installing the ETO Expansion seems to have gone OK to a point this time - until I found that MultiCFS3 brings up an error message when run - "Problem Modifying File!". I gather from Martin Wright's description of the tool that this probably means it cannot find my install of F:\Combat Flight Simulator 3 and therefore cannot be used but I see no workaround. Anyone any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Regards,

Remlinger55.

Hello Rem:

ETO, of course, defaults to C drive. Just last night, we solved this problem on TS with one of the folks that had their CFS3 installs on another drive.
Please re-read the install readme very carefully. You will have to change the drive designation in several places during the install. If you PM Grizzley50, he might be of some help. To his credit, he solved the problem last evening.

Good Luck ...

Ghost

Remlinger55
September 29th, 2008, 10:00
Thanks for the reply, Writer301. I did follow the Read Me and change the drive designation every time it was needed (as far as I know) (as I had done previously, in fact, with the other abortive installs!). Very odd.

I will PM Grizzley50 as you suggest; thanks.

Regards,

Remlinger55.

rbp71854
September 29th, 2008, 10:17
Rem

After your abortive initial install did you delete the ETO folders and files in the application data folder and in the my documents folders?

If you didn't you will have to do that and just try running multicfs3. If that fails remove everything again including the eto install and reinstall. Multicfs3 should not have any problem setting your eto to the F: drive

Thanks for the reply, Writer301. I did follow the Read Me and change the drive designation every time it was needed (as far as I know) (as I had done previously, in fact, with the other abortive installs!). Very odd.

I will PM Grizzley50 as you suggest; thanks.

Regards,

Remlinger55.

SLIP STREAM
September 29th, 2008, 10:32
i had the same problem your vinillia cfs3 is corupt.uninstall cfs3 and do a new install and only do the 2 updates that should cure the install it did for me.

Remlinger55
September 29th, 2008, 13:21
Thanks for the reply, rbp71854. I did delete all those files before installation but it certainly seems another attempt at re-installation may be necessary.

Thanks, Slipstream, but as I installed OFF this afternoon and it works OK, I suspect that the CFS3 install is OK too. Could be wrong, of course!

Regards,

Remlinger55.

Cbumb
September 29th, 2008, 21:12
Hi all! Remlinger55! I'm new here as this is my first post... however had same problem... Seems the installer fails to copy clean CFS3 files over to new ETO directory during its install when you install to a directory other than default ETO. So that means files such as common.dll, etc. that MutltiCFS needs are NOT there! I had to manually create the CFS3 ETO Expansion directory, then copy the CFS3 clean files over to it, then run the ETO installer. MultiCFS3 should work after that.. Hope this helps! Ed

rcafmad
September 29th, 2008, 22:02
I just finished installing the ETO Expansion in my CFS3. MultiCFS3 did appear as in directions. I downloaded it and tried to change it as shown in directions. It would not allow me to adjust it.

I opend ETO anyway. There were airfields as usual. Do I really need the MultiCFS?

To the fellows at ETO. It was worth the wait, A simple word would describe ETO. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

ronnybengt
September 30th, 2008, 08:46
that woooow feeling ..i long for everyday..stumblin after work...it makes my day,,,,,any day...:icon_lol:

R

Remlinger55
September 30th, 2008, 09:48
Hi Ed,

I was beginning to suspect that something like that was required! Could you PM me with a list of the CFS3 files that you need to copy over to the ETO expansion directory, please? I really would like to get this installed properly at last.

Thanks!

Regards,

Remlinger55.

Hi all! Remlinger55! I'm new here as this is my first post... however had same problem... Seems the installer fails to copy clean CFS3 files over to new ETO directory during its install when you install to a directory other than default ETO. So that means files such as common.dll, etc. that MutltiCFS needs are NOT there! I had to manually create the CFS3 ETO Expansion directory, then copy the CFS3 clean files over to it, then run the ETO installer. MultiCFS3 should work after that.. Hope this helps! Ed

rbp71854
September 30th, 2008, 09:58
Rem

If you are going to do a manual copying of your stock CFS3 files, just create your CFS3 ETO Expansion folder. Then copy all your Stock CFS3 files to the ETO folder. Delete the stock missions from all the missions subfolders.

Then run the installer, but skip the portion that says make a CFS3 directory and copy CFS3. The 2nd portion of the installer will then install the ETO files to your CFS3 ETO Expansion folder that you created.

I can assure you that if you point the installer to the right locations during the install the installer will copy your clean CFS3 files.

@ECHO OFF
CLS
REM THIS WILL CREATE A CFS3 ETO EXPANSION DIRECTORY
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO THIS PROGRAM WILL CREATE THE CFS3 ETO EXPANSION DIRECTORY
ECHO.
ECHO AND COPY THE COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR FILES TO THE ETO
ECHO.
ECHO WHEN ASKED TO OVERWRITE THE FILES PLEASE SELECT A FOR ALL
ECHO.
ECHO.
PAUSE
MKDIR "CFS3 ETO Expansion"
REM THIS SECTION WILL COPY THE CONTENTS OF CFS3 TO ETO EXPANSION DIRECTORY
ECHO TO BEGIN COPYING COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 3 TO CFS3 ETO EXPANSION
XCOPY "Combat Flight Simulator 3\*" "CFS3 ETO Expansion" /S /i /r /k /v
XCOPY "Combat Flight Simulator 3\*.*" "CFS3 ETO Expansion" /S /i /r /k /v
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO YOUR HAVE CREATED THE CFS3 ETO EXPANSION DIRECTORY AND COPIED THE
ECHO.
ECHO COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 3 FILES TO THE ETO
ECHO.
DEL /s "CFS3 ETO Expansion\missions\historical\*.xml"
DEL /S "CFS3 ETO Expansion\missions\training\*.xml"
DEL /S "CFS3 ETO Expansion\missions\whatif\*.xml"
ECHO.

Hi Ed,

I was beginning to suspect that something like that was required! Could you PM me with a list of the CFS3 files that you need to copy over to the ETO expansion directory, please? I really would like to get this installed properly at last.

Thanks!

Regards,

Remlinger55.

Remlinger55
September 30th, 2008, 10:04
Thanks, rbp! I'll try that. Fingers crossed! :jump:

Regards,

Remlinger55.

Cbumb
September 30th, 2008, 12:49
Forgive me Rbp, but I think the problem with the ETO installer script is that it assumes a default CFS3 Clean install into C:\Program Files\CombatCombat Flight Simulator 3...
This is where I believe it's failing as some people don't have their clean install located there.. I don't recall the ETO Installer asking for this location... A DOS prompt flashes by in an instant when this copy over process should be taking place... At 1.4GB for a "clean" CFS3 Install, this should take some time (to copy over)and you sould see it in he DOS Box. Anyway, the bat file posted above should work fine if modified to allow for this... Also add a pause after the XCOPY's so user can be sure files copied over properly. GREAT WORK!!! and THANKS YOU MUCH!!!! Hope I can help in any way!

Thanks Again,
Ed

rbp71854
September 30th, 2008, 13:15
Actually the correct path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3

So by default the makeaCFS3ETOdirectory points to *\Microsoft Games.

Therefore if you have a different install path you point the 1st part of the installer to the folder that your CFS3 is installed. i.e. if your path is F:\Combat Flight Simulator 3 you then use the browse function to select F:\ for the makeacfs3etodirectory. The files will then be copied to F:\CFS3 ETO Expansion.

Forgive me Rbp, but I think the problem with the ETO installer script is that it assumes a default CFS3 Clean install into C:\Program Files\CombatCombat Flight Simulator 3...
This is where I believe it's failing as some people don't have their clean install located there.. I don't recall the ETO Installer asking for this location... A DOS prompt flashes by in an instant when this copy over process should be taking place... At 1.4GB for a "clean" CFS3 Install, this should take some time (to copy over)and you sould see it in he DOS Box. Anyway, the bat file posted above should work fine if modified to allow for this... Also add a pause after the XCOPY's so user can be sure files copied over properly. GREAT WORK!!! and THANKS YOU MUCH!!!! Hope I can help in any way!

Thanks Again,
Ed

Cbumb
September 30th, 2008, 13:46
Yes I see, so you point the installer to the parent directory of your clean CFS3 install! Got it!!! So if you clean installed to "F:\Combat Flight Simulator 3" or "C:\Program Files\Combat Flight Simulator 3" or "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3" you should point to "F:\" or "C:\Program Files\" or "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\" respectively! Then the installer will create *\CFS3 ETO Expansion. Right??? But what happens if i wanted to put ETO Expansion into different partition? Drive?

rbp71854
September 30th, 2008, 13:54
I think you know the awnser to that question. No. So in that case you do a manual copy and paste of the stock cfs3 files to where you have manually created a CFS3 ETO Expansion Folder. After that you still run the eto installer but skip the 1 st portion making a directory and copying the stock cfs3 files.

Yes I see, so you point the installer to the parent directory of your clean CFS3 install! Got it!!! So if you clean installed to "F:\Combat Flight Simulator 3" or "C:\Program Files\Combat Flight Simulator 3" or "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3" you should point to "F:\" or "C:\Program Files\" or "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\" respectively! Then the installer will create *\CFS3 ETO Expansion. Right??? But what happens if i wanted to put ETO Expansion into different partition? Drive?

Cbumb
September 30th, 2008, 14:33
Seriously though rbp, I, like many others, keep a clean CFS3 install on a dvd backup or backup partition for this very reason... to add mods to it and use the MultiCFS3 tool. But, even if you wanted to go from D:\Backup\CFS3 Clean to D:\Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion or even D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion you couldn't do it with your install script! That, I think, is what's going on here with Remlinger55 and many others...
Sorry to be a pain! !!!

rbp71854
September 30th, 2008, 15:02
The installer is flexible enough that if you don't have a common everyday install there are work arounds that you can use to get to the end.

I call it a draw. Time for me to go do some techno stuff.

Seriously though rbp, I, like many others, keep a clean CFS3 install on a dvd backup or backup partition for this very reason... to add mods to it and use the MultiCFS3 tool. But, even if you wanted to go from D:\Backup\CFS3 Clean to D:\Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion or even D:\CFS3 ETO Expansion you couldn't do it with your install script! That, I think, is what's going on here with Remlinger55 and many others...
Sorry to be a pain! !!!

Cbumb
September 30th, 2008, 15:48
Gee Whiz rbp... I thought we were trying to help people on this post who were having a problem! I didn't know it was a competition! I feel sorry for you...

rbp71854
September 30th, 2008, 16:07
No competion, I figured the answer was there and I needed to go do some trouble shooting on a different problem. Sorry if you took my meaning wrong.

Gee Whiz rbp... I thought we were trying to help people on this post who were having a problem! I didn't know it was a competition! I feel sorry for you...