PDA

View Full Version : EP45 UD3R

runswithscissors
January 9th, 2010, 09:03
Well I have just started using the Gigabyte product after spending a lot on Asus.

Was wondering first of all if I could ask what the 2 "Purple" Sata ports are, I started plugging my HD in there and have most recently moved them to the yellow Sata ports. (I have read that the "purp ports = stuttering)

Also I can't seem to get anything other that 4 sticks of cheap ram to work,
is there a bios setting for 2X2gb ram?

Sorry if this was OT but I have seen a lot of people here have good luck with their Gig systems.

Doug:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

NoNewMessages
January 9th, 2010, 09:51
I just installed the 3P version. The purple are for a RAID setup. Use the others and don't install any of the other driver garbage, unless you're planning on using a RAID? I'm hoping the six yellow SATA connectors will be enough, as I use two for internal HDs and two for an external hookups, that leaves me with two extra and they might get used sooner than later.

runswithscissors
January 9th, 2010, 11:05
Hey thanks for the quick reply LCSims, no raid so hopefully the change to the yellow Sata plugs will be for the better, fsx only, and am using Win7 64 bit as an OS.

harleyman
January 9th, 2010, 13:47
I think that that mobo is a DDR3 one is it not?

BUT it will only run DDR3 DUAL Channel memory, not triple channel ..

There are no bios settings to run a 2X2 config..it is set already...

Make sure that you have in the bios set to 64 bit, not 32 bit ..Under...ummm I for get..but you will find it there somewhere...

If memory serves me right that will also run 1600 speed ram, maybe up to 2000???

runswithscissors
January 9th, 2010, 14:01
Thanks for the reply Harleyman, the board does use ddr2 and if it is a 1600 FSB it is supposed to handle +1300mhz memory so I thought it would handle my pc2 9600 ram and so the purchase. Still putting together some info for a gigabyte inquiry. Until then am running 4 sticks of cheap ram, hey even my PC 6400 2X2GB don't work. Trying everything hoping for something! Wish that I could get it to play well with the 2x2gb of ram especially the PC 9600 but so far no luck. Thanks again for the suggestions, as that is what I am after.

harleyman
January 9th, 2010, 14:14
It will only use PC8500 or lower of 240 pin DDR2

I have a new set of Viper ....LOL In the box

runswithscissors
January 9th, 2010, 14:22
OK but I am having a heck of a time wrapping my head around this, since it says +1300 right on the board, and I do realize this is on a FSB of 1600. Then there is the fact that it will not run 2 X 2gb of pc 6400 ram, is this saying it is a dram voltage thingee? All suggestions taken

harleyman
January 9th, 2010, 14:34
It should run the PC6400 @ 1066

BUT..is it not booting? Or is it blue screening?

If so you may need to set the correct memory voltage manually in the bios..

You will find the correct voltage on the ram itself..Or at NewEgg under its spec listing....

Does your PC6400 say it DDR2 6400...Or just DDR 6400?

runswithscissors
January 9th, 2010, 14:43
It says ddr2 on both the pc 6400 and the pc 9600. The pc 6400 ran fine for a year+ on the asus board. Oh its a tough trail on the way to FSX perfection!

harleyman
January 9th, 2010, 14:45
Go into the bios and set the voltage for the ram you are using...But the 9600 will not work most likely.

So...Is it booting bluescreening, or just nothing?

More info is needed than not working

runswithscissors
January 9th, 2010, 15:02
I have been in the Bios when it is running.

If the ram is not playing nice (2X2GB)then it will not even boot into the bios, sometimes it freezes in the bios.

With the bios settings that I have entered and the 4 sticks of cheap pc 6400 ram it will boot into the bios and then into windows.

I can run FSX and with a few tweaks it is pretty good.

If the 4 sticks of cheap ram is in it will recognize the whole 4GB of ram and report correctly that is the correct model of ram.

Yet if I install the 2X2gb sticks of pc 6400 it will not even boot into the Bios.

I might mention this is with a E8600 OC to 3.8 this still gives me the same ram problems even when i set it back to stock at 3.3.

harleyman
January 9th, 2010, 15:57
Hmmmmmm...

It almost seems like your OC , or a left over OC setting may be the culprit...

Why not go into the bios, reset each page to optzimized defaults....Or remove the jumper for 10 minutes....

Then test with the ram, with correct voltages set for it, and see.

have you flashed the MoBo yet????

Maybe try to boot off one stick of the ram too..maybe you have a bad stick, or a bad dimm..It happens...

stansdds
January 10th, 2010, 03:33
I had some stability issues with my Gigabyte EP-35C-DS3R. Upping the RAM voltage just a tiny bit solved my crashes. It seems that some Gigabyte boards have problems with the RAM voltage control. It undervolts, even though the BIOS says the voltage it correct. Overclocking RAM with my motherboard is a know route to motherboard failure. Once again, it's the RAM voltage that is a problem and over volting to get a stable RAM overclock is likely to lead to a fried motherboard. So far, this is the only Gigabyte motherboard I've had that has such problems, but there was much written on various forums about issues with Gigabyte 35C motherboards.

txnetcop
January 10th, 2010, 07:03
If you want your RAM to be recognized and to be efficient, almost every package tells you at what voltage your RAM is meant to operate optimally. If it is not on the package go to the RAM homepage and look up your specific RAM and see what voltage your RAM is rated for. Some motherboard BIOs do not give the new RAM all the voltage it needs in default mode to operate efficiently, not just Gigabyte.

Also with every motherboard there should be some information that tells you what RAM is considered the most efficient for that particular motherboard. It does not mean that you cannot use other RAM but the RAM they recommend produced the best results in tests. Other than that be prepared to use the BIOS to set your RAM up efficiently.
Ted

runswithscissors
January 10th, 2010, 08:24
Hey thanks everybody for all the excellent advice.
After a long period of panic I tested each individual stick of ram, and it would seem that I have gotten a bad stick .
And after a lot of reading I have found out that the cheap ram is indeed 1.8V
To make a long story short I have ordered, what I hope is quality PC 8500 ram, and will hopefully set up in the bios and run with it while I sort the others out.
Thanks again everyone!
Darn you FSX=:-)

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 09:07
Ahhh So it was a bad stick...Sux but happens....

I think that voltage is default for that MoBo..The new PC8500, whick you will love, will have to have its voltage set up manually in the bios before booting up....(to install the OS)

runswithscissors
January 10th, 2010, 09:16
Well here is the specs for the munchkin ram that I have coming:

Product Name: Performance XP 4GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module
Product Series: XP
Product Type: RAM Module
Physical Characteristics Form Factor: 240-pin DIMM
Technical Information Memory Size: 4 GB
Memory Speed: 1066 MHz
Memory Standard: DDR2-1066/PC2-8500
Memory Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
Number of Modules: 2 x 2 GB
Signal Processing: Unbuffered

Anybody care to comment on using this for fsx?

runswithscissors
January 10th, 2010, 09:22
And before anybody scratches their head and wonders out loud why isn't he going to a I7 platform I will be when I have come to the end of the 775 platform.

Hopefully I will be able to use a lot of the components from my existing puter, at least that is how I justify my purchases.

dharris
January 10th, 2010, 12:30
If what you ordered is Muskin then you will need to talk to muskinsean on this forum http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/. He is very knowledgeable

If you fill out the hardware form he will give you the exact settings for your board. I ordered and installed the black edition used his settings but could not get it to boot, had to send it back. Would not work with my gigabyte board. Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, Intel Core2Duo 333 MHZ E8600 Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
4 GB G-Skill F2-8500CL5, EVGA GTX 260
Mushkin 580 watt quad rail power supply, RaidMax Smilodon case with 3 fans
WD Veloraptor drive 150gb for FSX alone. 2 Seagate 160gb and one 320gb drive
WinXP Pro Sp3
Win XP 64

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 13:06
And before anybody scratches their head and wonders out loud why isn't he going to a I7 platform I will be when I have come to the end of the 775 platform.

Hopefully I will be able to use a lot of the components from my existing puter, at least that is how I justify my purchases.

Socket 775 is ideal and all thats ever neded for FSX.....

i7 or i5 handles memory better, faster memory, and will allow more extensive addons to run more smoothly, but not needed to run or enjoy FSX IMO...Plus there is a little more deapth to the i7 i5 core CPUs