PDA

View Full Version : CPU help!

stiz
January 8th, 2010, 03:08
ok well i brought a Intel Core 2 Duo 8600 and a fan (cooler master Hyper 212 Plus) and they both arrived today .. however...

the fan doesnt fit allthough it said it should, not sure if its just me or not though, got a Nvidia nForce 650i SLI chipset based MSI P6n SLI not that fussed as it was only 20 quid ... however ...

.. when i put the cpu in with the fan that came with it (bog standard intel one) and turned on the pc all the lights came on and all the fans span up and ran fine, however it seemed like the pc wasnt booting at all, just getting a no signal on the moniter and didnt get the usal start up bleeps, put the old cpu back in and hey presto it all works. I've checked and double checked the set up and it all seems ok however it just refuses to boot!

and help greatfully apriciated! :isadizzy:

stansdds
January 8th, 2010, 03:13
A. What do you mean by "the fan doesn't fit"?

B. The no boot issue could be the BIOS not recognizing the new CPU.

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 03:20
You need to research that 650 chipset...

The motherboard may need reflashed to run that different chip..

if so...With the old CPU in, do the flash for the new CPU.

then swap them out again, and it should boot just fine.

That old 650 probably is just not seeing the new CPu, hence needing a flash....

That explains no POST at boot also...

stiz
January 8th, 2010, 03:22
by not fitting i mean the screws that latch it down dont reach the holes even when pressed in firmly. If you scroll down it shows a pic of the retention plate (the cross thing) http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923 I did check to see if the fan would fit the board and everywhere said it would.

EDIT:- this what you mean by flashing the BIOS Harley?? http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Why-and-How-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/ sounds like fun :isadizzy:

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 03:29
It says it is for a socket 775...

I would have avoided that one like the plaque..It has to many combinations for other sockets for my taste, and that usually spells a hard time figuring out the actual components needed for your peticular socket...

read my post above about flashing..( get your bios info and make sure it will start a socket 775 E 8600)

What is the possabality that its not passing POST cause its heatsing is not installed tight??? It only takes a split sec for that CPU to super heat and fail..

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 03:32
by not fitting i mean the screws that latch it down dont reach the holes even when pressed in firmly. If you scroll down it shows a pic of the retention plate (the cross thing) http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923 I did check to see if the fan would fit the board and everywhere said it would.

EDIT:- this what you mean by flashing the BIOS Harley?? http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Why-and-How-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/ sounds like fun :isadizzy:

Yes...that is what is more than likely needed...Search the MSI site and see if they offer a windows Flash tool...Then you need your bios number already installed, and search again to see if that BIOS will see the new CPU..If not flash it with the MSI flash tool....

Caution...When flashing..Kill your A/v close all windows, make sure your connection to the internet is good..If it mis-flashes there goes your MoBo...

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 03:35
Here is their tool..

you have to regester to get it..http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=2d976e675c5f6aa943d76907f6b093 a8&topic=108079.0

There too you can probably find a chart as to how and what BIOS version you need for your chip and board

stiz
January 8th, 2010, 03:41
cheers harley, time for a good read up, dont paticulary want to kill my pc :isadizzy:

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 03:44
Just take your time..

That E8600 is one I use OCed to 3.6 and FSX loves it... A great chip indeed...

stiz
January 8th, 2010, 04:13
saw this on their forums

Just some more information for those thinking about using 45nm cpu's in the p6n sli. MSI emailed me again and stated that if the QC number (by the cpu socket) is 01, 02, or 03, I will have to have "parts added" to the board to make it compatible with 45nm procs.

so checked ... i have a nice big 01 :censored::censored::censored: they say you can send the board to them and they'll do what they need to do to make it work, thing is ... i dread to think what the :censored: P&P will be and i highly doubt the store will take back an opened cpu with thermal paste on it! Really :censored: low seeing as how they have it advertised that it'll work with the 45mm chips :censored:'s!!

2Low
January 8th, 2010, 06:10
With postage both ways that will, well, that will suck. Are they going to charge you for the upgrade/modification too? If so you'd probably be better off saving for a new mobo and using your old chip for now.

If you know anyone wanting to try SLI maybe you could sell your old chip and mobo to help fund a new mobo.

I had a Gigabyte P-35 mobo and got a nice new E8400 to put into it. Windows absolutely refused to install but Ubuntu went on fine. I hit the forums and someone suggested I update the BIOS. So off I went to install the newest certified BIOS. Results were the same so I tried the beta BIOS they had. Well that killed the mobo. Turns out my chip was bad, something Windows used but Ubuntu didn't (MMX instructions was one theory put forward).

NCIX where I got the chip replaced the chip for free and paid shipping both ways. Unfortunately Gigabyte does not warrenty against bad flashes so I had to pay for the new mobo myself. It hurt but I did get newer tech.

I hope you can find a silver lining in this somewhere.

txnetcop
January 8th, 2010, 06:28
Stiz ditch that 650i...trust me on this. If money is the issue settle for a Gigabyte or MSI G41 board. The E8600 is excellent with FSX stock or overclocked and you won't have to flash the BIOS to get it to work. The G41 boards have the latest BIOs
Ted

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 06:42
Ted...

Is the Ga 31 and the GA 41 not the same boards other than the GA 41 has onboard video capailabiltiies ?

I also just built yesterday a GA 31 M that has the latest bios flash on it too....

its not going to be OCed ...

txnetcop
January 8th, 2010, 06:51
Yep but I like the G41 cause you can diagnose GPU problems with a backup onboard video
Ted

stiz the reason I said G41 was because they are cheap, reliable, but powerful, so it won't hurt so bad financially getting another board. If ya wanna spend a little money the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P or R is hard to beat and still very inexpensive.

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 07:20
Thanks Ted..

For the other post about raid0 also...:applause:

2Low
January 8th, 2010, 07:36
The Gigabyte EP45-UD3R is what I used to replace my P35 and it was a great board. Now I'm on the P55 UD3R because I liked it so much but wanted to go i5.

I think you get good value at that level of board but no SLI if that's what Stiz is after.

txnetcop
January 8th, 2010, 08:28
Yep true, Stiz you may consider the cheaper 750i chipset as opposed to the more expensive 780i or 790i. I have seen some 750i or less 50 euros, Stiz
Ted

stiz
January 10th, 2010, 07:24
hey guys thanks for the advice, no after SLI or anything complex, just something that'll run an 8600 and enough slots to hold 4 gigs ram (yes i know it'll only "see" 3 gigs on xp 32bit :))

I've had a gander round and within all the techie numbers i found this which sounds the same as the one you guys are talking about, correct me if i'm wrong though :)

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-s775-intel-g41-ddr2-matx-a-l-645G.html?refs=426830000

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 07:30
Bingo...That be the one...great board too..

It runs a full PCI X 16 (just one9 and has two mem slots ....

Its perfect for the E8600 and will OC too well..

It also has great surround sound too.

stiz
January 10th, 2010, 07:39
righteo, i'll order it when all me bills have gone through .. ya know .... theres a lot to be said about pre made pcs! :icon_lol:

stiz
January 12th, 2010, 08:43
might as well post in here to keep the place tidy :)

ok well the board arrived today, i've got it all installed, however when i turn the power on and press the start button, all the fans spin up and spin happerly, all the lights on the board and the power light on the front come on, however it doesnt boot, it also sounds like its trying to read from the dvd drive instead of the hard drive, so i unpluged the dvd drive and it sounds like i get a couple of clicks from the hard drive then nothing ... and the Hard drive light on the front doesnt come on either ... it also turns itself off then on again after about 20/30 secs ... i'd take it to the computer shop but their closed now :frown: