PDA

View Full Version : US Flight Suggestions?

IanHenry
January 8th, 2010, 02:19
Can anyone help with suggestions for airports/flights in the U.S? I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant of the geography of the country outside the major city's so I'm looking for semi rural places to fly low and slow. Any suggestions from the locals will be gratefully received. :cowboy:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 02:51
Ian....Google The Application Trail...

View it on a map, and pick airports around the area..its all beautiful mountains ..... http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html

Also Arizona for the Grand Canyon

Anywhere out of KLAX, maybe crossing over the mountaine to John Wayne

Start out of KSEA and explore the mountains there too..beautiful country...

Thats a start

lawdawg
January 8th, 2010, 02:53
Hi Ian.
I am an lifelong Alaskan.
If you want to try some bush flying Alaskan style, There are many places to fly.
Talkeetna (PATK) to Mt Mckinley (also called Denali) is very scenic.
Southeast Alaska such as Juneau, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Klawock are all very scenic too. Good for flying with floats if ya like that mode. British Columbia in Canada is beautiful as well and can be easily accessed from the southeast communities mentioned.
If you like a challenge, try Sand Point or Cold bay into Dutch Harbor/Unalaska.
Hope this gives you a few ideas and some sim enjoyment.

jmig
January 8th, 2010, 03:36
The coast lines, especially at night are always beautiful to me. I use a sectional and follow along the cities by their lights.

hews500d
January 8th, 2010, 04:26
Ian....Google The Application Trail...

View it on a map, and pick airports around the area..its all beautiful mountains ..... http://rhodesmill.org/thefox/maps.html

Also Arizona for the Grand Canyon

Anywhere out of KLAX, maybe crossing over the mountaine to John Wayne

Start out of KSEA and explore the mountains there too..beautiful country...

Thats a start

Harleyman, did you mean the "Appalachian" trail?

Darrell

heywooood
January 8th, 2010, 05:18
he must be looking for work....:kilroy:

Reddog
January 8th, 2010, 05:33
Kansas using Steve Ziglers Kansas airports scenery, great low and slow flying. Pretty sure the scenery is at Avsim and/or Flightsim

lawdawg
January 8th, 2010, 05:43
he must be looking for work....:kilroy:

Bwaaahaaa...:pop4:

deimos256
January 8th, 2010, 05:45
For me the most interesting areas are Vegas, southern Cali, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. The other day I picked two cities out of a hat and made a flight, I ended up with Wichita Kansas to Boise Idaho. Towards the end I encountered some nice subtle snowy mountains it was a nice flight but a bit long in a c-130 taking about 3 hours.

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 05:59
Harleyman, did you mean the "Appalachian" trail?

Darrell

LOL YUP...I did ..And I have a job....:icon_lol::icon_lol:

This keyboard can't spell..I need a new one...LOL

IanHenry
January 8th, 2010, 06:11
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
A couple of years ago whilst in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Paris</st1:City>, I met a Doctor from <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Idaho</st1:place></st1:State> called John who was a nice chap but he had this habit of photographing his food before he ate it, which seemed a little strange! Anyway on returning home I checked out <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Idaho</st1:State></st1:place> in FSX as I had never been and found.............total flatness and very little else!
<o:p> </o:p>
I have previously used the Oz scenery <st1:place w:st="on">Grand Canyon</st1:place> scenery and also the Megascenery Las Vegas so I am quit familiar with those areas. The <st1:place w:st="on">Appalachian Trail</st1:place> looks very interesting.
I think I might go and buy the Sibwings Cessna Bird dog to have a look at it!
Many thanks,
Ian.

Henry
January 8th, 2010, 06:20
as i live in the US but have not traveled too far here
i like to just pick a state and fly around
sometimes i am surprised
actually North Arkansas has some great areas
i kind of have my own geography lesson
H

hews500d
January 8th, 2010, 06:24
Ian, here are a few airport codes to check out that I fly around most of the time. All of them are close to the Appalachian trail and have nice mountains and lakes close by :)

KTRI
KROA
6A4

Darrell

hews500d
January 8th, 2010, 06:25
This keyboard can't spell..I need a new one...LOL

Mine has that problem too! Funny thing, those keyboards :icon_lol:

Darrell

cheezyflier
January 8th, 2010, 06:58
southern florida has some neat stuff, if you do a google earth lookee for some intersting features, they are often found in fsx.

one of the things that i find most disapointing is that in fsx, utah is devoid of good canyons. i really hope that gets corrected sometime soon.

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 07:25
This is good start:

MmFN9C9PVpg

This covers most of it:

XaI5IRuS2aE

:icon_lol: :wiggle: :jump: :wiggle: :icon_lol:

aeromed202
January 8th, 2010, 07:35
Try Ravalli County Montana, or as I often do just go anywhere, go to map mode, pan back and drag yourself to an interesting geography (like mountains) and put yourself good and high then load up. More fun with real weather. Might find yourself in a pickle but loads of fun to get out of :jump:

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 08:29
Try Ravalli County Montana, or as I often do just go anywhere, go to map mode, pan back and drag yourself to an interesting geography (like mountains) and put yourself good and high then load up. More fun with real weather. Might find yourself in a pickle but loads of fun to get out of :jump:

Haha! I was just there last night in FSX. Flew from Missoula down to Hamilton. I grew up in the Bitterroot Valley. :wavey:

IanHenry
January 8th, 2010, 08:38
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>I'm really looking forward to exploring those areas so I did buy the Sibwings Cessna Bird Dog, but I can't start yet, it's taking an unbelievable hour and twenty minutes to download 95mb!. Still there's always the A2A Piper Cub I suppose, trouble is Heidi nags and complains about my flying all the time!<o:p></o:p>
Ian.</o:p>

spotlope
January 8th, 2010, 08:47
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
<o:p></o:p>
A couple of years ago whilst in <st1:city w:st="on">Paris</st1:city>, I met a Doctor from <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Idaho</st1:place></st1:state> called John who was a nice chap but he had this habit of photographing his food before he ate it, which seemed a little strange! Anyway on returning home I checked out <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Idaho</st1:state></st1:place> in FSX as I had never been and found.............total flatness and very little else!
I have previously used the Oz scenery <st1:place w:st="on">Grand Canyon</st1:place> scenery and also the Megascenery Las Vegas so I am quit familiar with those areas. The <st1:place w:st="on">Appalachian Trail</st1:place> looks very interesting.
I think I might go and buy the Sibwings Cessna Bird dog to have a look at it!
Many thanks,
Ian.

Ah, you must have been in the lower part of Idaho, where all the potatoes come from. It's a big state. Here's what awaits you if you head for its northern reaches...

0bC4wE7Uues

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 08:55
Yes, Bill is absolutely correct.
Lost of interesting airstrips in northern Idaho and western Montana.
With some searching, you can find quite a few backcountry airstrip sceneries for this area, at various sites.

dominique
January 8th, 2010, 08:56
I checked out <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Idaho</st1:state></st1:place> in FSX as I had never been and found.............total flatness and very little else!

You didn't check in the right places :engel016:. Northern Idaho is a joy to fly (this is FS9 though).

NoNewMessages
January 8th, 2010, 08:58
one of the things that i find most disapointing is that in fsx, utah is devoid of good canyons. i really hope that gets corrected sometime soon.

Pssst, I think it already has been looked into. I need to donate to SOH to get my signature with the web site addy in it!! :kilroy:

Couple a quality mesh with some nice photo scnery and there are parts of Utah that are just marvelous!:applause:

Tako_Kichi
January 8th, 2010, 09:10
You could always try my New England Tour(s) I posted in this thread...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=23659

There are three tours in that package, one is for New England airports and all airports have asphalt runways in excess of 3,000 ft, the second is for New England airfields and has asphalt/concrete runways less than 3,000 feet or gravel/grass runways and the third tour is for New England water-ports for floaters/amphibians only as every take-off/landing is a wet one!

I am still trying to complete the airfields tour as there has been some nasty weather in that area for the past month or so (I only fly in real weather) and have had to spend a lot of time flying choppers as they were the only things that would cope with the low visibility and short fields. Some of those tiny strips are very difficult to spot (never mind get into) especially with the winter textures that are active now. For fixed wing flying I found the freeware Auster a godsend as it can do everything a Cub/Super Cub can do in terms of short field flying but has a slightly higher top speed to get you from A to B without getting bored.

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 09:11
Cheezy, I suggest you go here:

http://www.blueskyscenery.com/ (Freeware/Donationware)

EDIT: In fact here is a map of the area of coverage right now: http://www.blueskyscenery.com/UT.html
Each section of that map is a 5x5 grid of photoscenery tiles, 25 each, so there is a whole lot of coverage.

Gottfried just released a whole bunch of photoscenery for Utah over New Years.
I think he uploaded some to AVSim as well. That isn't as high of resolution as available though his site.

The Monument Valley is very nice.

Also, do a search for "Utah Complete" by James Udall. He corrected a lot of things in the state.

dswo
January 8th, 2010, 09:14
Yeah, listen to Bill: Idaho is intense. Grab the Great Falls sectional from AVSIM:

<table align="center" bgcolor="#99ccff" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="left">Category: Navigation and ATC - Navigation (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=nav) </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" width="*"> High Resolution Great Falls Sectional Chart </td> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> <!-- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/Link.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/esearch.php?DLID=42636) --> http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=42636) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=42636) </td> </tr> </tbody></table> File Description:
Very high resolution georeferenced Sectional Chart. Converted to JPG format to reduce size of download. However, very little compression artifacts are visible to keep high image quality. Includes projection files if you want to use with GIS software.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#99ccff" border="0" width="50%"><tbody><tr> <td width="25%">Filename:</td> <td width="75%">sc_greatfalls.zip</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">License:</td> <td width="75%">Freeware</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Added:</td> <td width="75%">17th January 2004</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Downloads:</td> <td width="75%">1480</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Author:</td> <td width="75%">Matt Fox</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Size:</td> <td width="75%">10330kb</td></tr></tbody></table>
And then start at Missoula International (KMSO). (Ok, technically that's in Montana.) Follow the Bitter Root Range or the Clark Fork river NW to Lake Pend Oreille. Park your plane at Sandpoint (KSZT) and when you're ready for more fly south to Coeur d'Alene (KCOE).

cheezyflier
January 8th, 2010, 11:00
oh sweet! thanks for the heads up, guys! :applause:
i'll be doing some downloading as soon as i get home.
gotta make a cookie run.

IanHenry
January 8th, 2010, 12:23
Thanks everyone for some great places to fly, now I just need to decide where to start! Still waiting for the Sibwings Bird Dog to download, after one failed attempt, this one is taking nearly 3 hours which is a little worrying!

Many thanks everyone,
Ian.

JimC1702
January 8th, 2010, 14:01
I like to fly in New York State, using the "Low 'n Slow" landclass for the state, available here:

http://www.eboyztoyz.net/article.php?ncat=00100

as well as my own upgraded NYS airports. NY has many scenic features. The Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, the Great Lakes, and Niagara Falls. Near me is the man-made Great Sacandaga Lake and there are five large reservoirs in the Catskills that supply water to New York City. My county alone has 44 lakes.

And if you get bored in NYS, you easily pop into Massachusetts, Vermont, or Canada.

Jim

dswo
January 8th, 2010, 17:02
Here's what Idaho looked like this afternoon.

IanHenry
January 9th, 2010, 00:29
Ok, I've just done the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Great Falls</st1:City> flight from <st1:City w:st="on">Missoula</st1:City> to Sandpoint, and maybe I did <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Idaho</st1:place></st1:State> an injustice, it's a very wild (and cold looking) place, great for bush flying.
Ian.