PDA

View Full Version : OT: PT Boats - Knights of the Sea

BeauBrummie
January 7th, 2010, 12:29
I have been watching this develop over the last six months or so. I have just downloaded the free demo version, but the actual full version is up for sale now. Despite the title it is equally about British,German and Soviet Coastal forces, set in and round the North sea/Baltic areas. Bigger ships do feature too. It is another of these games which try to mix sim and strategy gaming. The synopis on the purchase page reads:

PT Boats is dedicated to a small group of little known but perhaps some of the most daring naval combatants of World War II: the torpedo boat crews. These ships are small, fast and agile, and extremely dangerous due to the on-board torpedo launchers. But they are also the most vulnerable of all military vessels. More than once in the history of WWII, a handful of those little deadly boats helped decide the course of an entire battle and executed seemingly impossible missions.

Key features:

The game combines key elements of a strategic, tactical and action simulator
The player can control each crew member separately, or command whole groups of ships
Flexible options allow the player to fully customize the game difficulty
Military units are recreated using authentic historical documents
All game objects use real-life physics
Beautiful and realistic sea and ambiance effects never seen before
Support of DirectX 10 and multi-core processors.
In only a couple of days play I've only tried the turotials which are somewaht controlled to allow you to get used to the controls and interface etc. In the Vosper MTB you can man the bridge and gun positions. The strategy layer then gives you the chance to fight with larger formations. Aircraft feature as potential foe. I haven't got this far yet. The full game has (for me an exciting one) the opportunity to sail a Fairmile D-class MGB/MTB, known in the Coastal Forces as Dog Boats. they were one of the largest types used in CF. Only the Steam GunBoats were larger.

I've enjoyed what I've don so far. But the PT Boat forum (http://www.battlefront.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=118) does suggest there are limitations which may put some off who (as in CFS3) are used to a more open style of simming.

Anyway here are some screenies: of the first tutorial.

BeauBrummie
January 15th, 2010, 14:04
Here's a few screenies of one of the reasons I bought the game: Fairmile D Class MTB/MGB - the Dog boat. They were one of the largest and heavily armed vessels in Coastal Forces.