PDA

View Full Version : Back-up Default FSX trees....

letsgetrowdy
January 7th, 2010, 10:12
I while back, I downloaded some freeware trees for FSX from Flightsim.com, ( trees V.2 I think ), and i must have overwritten the original default trees file :banghead:
Now I getting tired of seeing the fat, unrealistic looking trees that this freeware pack has given me, and wish to return to the default ones. Apart from I can't :eek: Does any one know of any where that it is possible to download the default trees as a back-up?

no drama, just wondering if anyone knew anything about this.

res non verba
January 7th, 2010, 10:43
hi again,

did you try the uninstall in treeX v2.1?

reading the readme says that this reverts to the original ones...

and:

3) The original textures will be saved by TreeX.
(if need: see principal directory of FSX: TreeX_Original_Tex.zip)

Tako_Kichi
January 7th, 2010, 10:56
If all else fails you could always put in the FSX disc and run a repair function but be warned that it will affect all default files so if you have changed anything else (like adding A2A lights to default AC, or non-stock terrain textures etc.) then these will go back to stock too.

Depending on your disc version of FSX you may also have to reinstall SP1/2/Accel too.

letsgetrowdy
January 7th, 2010, 13:06
ok will try!

Fireball6
January 7th, 2010, 13:10
hey letsgetrowdy - which files do you need? Send me a pm please - i send you the originals

res non verba
January 7th, 2010, 17:02
ok will try!

before you uninistall, are you sure that you installed it right, with the high resolution? (they have 3 resolutions)

because i have this textures and in the higher resolution they are far much better then the default ones, but maybe is my taste :wiggle:

the program works pretty fine with me, you can any time revert to the default textures or change the resolutions and several tree options.

if you still need the default textures i can send you the zip file too. (created by the treeX v2.1) but if you run the uninstall they do it automatically.

Paul Anderson
January 7th, 2010, 17:15
Don't look at this as a reason to go back to default tree textures, instead look at it as an opportunity to explore. There are some high (FS9 standards) tree textures that translate very well into FSX. (of course, backup first). Then you need to do some eyeball work, depending on other downloads you've added since.

Tree textures should match the terrain to look their best. I use Aime Leclerq's terrain textures and found that some FS9 addon textures are more suitable to my liking. Don't forget to check different seasons before deciding. Same goes for river textures and many other things.

If you see a 'comprehensive' package, put into a temporary folder and try copying clouds, etc., and see what looks best for you.

Don't know if attachment pic will get uploaded because of size, but have ground map texture from one fellow, clouds from another, trees from another, environment maps from another, and so on.

Don't forget, bigger is not always better. Was a fan of high definition clouds until looked up one day and saw fuzzier ones in the sky that matched smaller file size files I had tested.

If you get something that looks good to you, and a smaller file size,
and good frame rates, try changing your FSX.CFG image quality setting higher (I have mine set at 3).

I am gratefull that MIcrosoft gave us the abilty to customize.

Good luck too you in any event.

letsgetrowdy
January 8th, 2010, 08:47
Those are lovely trees - where did you say you got them from? is that the payware set?

guzler
January 8th, 2010, 09:58
There are freeware texture size reductions out there, I use them and they look good to me for a quarter of the file size ! You couldn't do worse than trying them as they are the originals reduced.