PDA

View Full Version : FSX Vietnam War project

Vietnam War Project
January 7th, 2010, 09:52
THE FSX Vietnam War project is a freeware project. It is a join undertaking of two people : namely Jacques Godfrin and Xavier Carré.
The first updating the Vietnam war pack by Xavier Carré released on July 2009.

Following airfields HAVE BEEN COMPLETED

Cam Ranh AFB
Pleiku AFB including Camp Holloway
Dak To 2
Nha Trang
Mang Buk
Kham Duc
Dak Pek
Ben Het
Plateau GI
Ban Me Thuot
Dalat – Camly
Kontum
Cam Ranh army airfield
Dong Ba Thin
Vung Tau
Lima Site 02
Lima Site 85
Lima Site 20 A – Long Tieng
Quang Tri
Bin Thuy
Can Tho
Tan Son Nhut
Gia Nghia
Cao Lang
Ubon
Nakhon Phanom
Phan Thiet
Bien Hoa
Ha Tien
Ha Tien south
Con Son
Hanoï Noibai
Rach Gia
Duong Dong
An Thoi
Phu Bai
Lima sites : 01, 04, 05, 06, 07, 14, 20, 22, 26, 37, 86
Nam Can
Quang Long
Bac Lieu
Soc Trang
Da Nang AFB
Red Beach (Da Nang)
Marble mountain
U Tapao
Tay Ninh west
Tay Ninh city
Bu Krak
Battambang
Clark airfield - Philippines
Nam Phong
Udon
Na San
Dien Bien Phu
Sihanoukville
Andersen – Guam
Kadena – Japan
Ching cHuan Kang - Taiwan
Phnom Penh

Additional sceneries such as : Panama Radar station at Monkey Mountain, De Long piers at Cam Ranh, Rocket ridge, Ha Tien harbour, Tien Sha ramp, Solid Anchor naval base (Nam Can), FSB Danger...have also been completed.

All these airfields have been represented with static airplanes from Guy Diotte as well as with some 30 AI airplanes such : C-130, C-123, C-124, F-100, F-105, EC-121, P-3, OV-1, OV-10 for which permission has been granted by the authors

Similarly, objects from various sources such as the default FSX Objects libraries, the Vietnam war objects from Al Simms, Jim Dhaenens Shelters, radars and lights, have been used to increase the realism of those military air bases.

Some others objects libraries must be dowloaded : by John Stinstrom and Sidney Schwartz..

Further activities will address a full fledged technical airport documentation, and a AI trafic covering all SEA

Your reaction the the work achieved so far will be appreciated. To that effect the link to: vietnamwar.project@free.fr (vietnamwar.project@free.fr) has been opened

A pdf document illustrating in images the project will shortly be made available on the net TO THOSE INTERESTED

Best regards,

Jacques Godfrin, Xavier Carré

daytonite_andy
January 7th, 2010, 09:59
Sounds interesting...thanks for the info :applause:

modelr
January 7th, 2010, 10:02
Jacques, Xavier, Thank you from a Vietnam era vet. :ernae:

I didn't get to 'Nam, but did get to Kadena AFB on Okinawa in direct support of TAC in 'Nam.

I really appreciate this effort. :medals::medals:

F-4's and SR-71's should also be in your AI list. Fernando Martinez and Nick Black have some great F-4's covering just about all of them. Check over at MAIW for more info.

MCDesigns
January 7th, 2010, 10:07
Looks like allot of work went into it, congrats on the release!

BTW welcome to SOH :ernae:

Snuffy
January 7th, 2010, 10:11
Looks like it'll be a lot of fun ... :)

Congrats ... and Welcome! :salute:

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 10:17
MCD, Xavier, Jacques.. I love you guys.. This is awesome.. I hate my own proclivities towards reliving old nightmares, but what you do is wonderful..
Pam

hews500d
January 7th, 2010, 10:21
Thanks for posting! I'm definitely looking forward to this and would be interested in reading anything you have available :wavey:

Darrell

Paul K
January 7th, 2010, 10:24
Na San and Dien Bien Phu...one common concept, two different outcomes.

I'm a bit of an armchair student of the French Indochina conflict, so I'll be very interested indeed to see what's been done with those two airfields, DBP particularly

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 10:29
A curiosity if i may. Is there a web link to it? just going to http://www.free.fr brings up telephone advertisements..
Thanks
Pam

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 10:35
Na San and Dien Bien Phu...one common concept, two different outcomes.

I'm a bit of an armchair student of the French Indochina conflict, so I'll be very interested indeed to see what's been done with those two airfields, DBP particularly

i gotta admit, the very first thing i did was scan the list for Nha trang, and then got to wondering if they got the flight line correct. Will my barracks be there? Pie Slice? My gaurd post, Williams, Kube, Heinlein or studenarz? yeahh, it gets pretty neurotic.. Will the duster be on top of the hill near the arvn camp? Can i shine that big damned light up there down on my perimeter like they did one night during an attack??
yeah, reallly neurotic..

aeroscout
January 7th, 2010, 10:39
Dont forget Korat, for those guys that went TDY with the flying malfunctions,AKA F-105D/F models, from Kadena:gameon:

Vietnam War Project
January 7th, 2010, 10:52
Hello,

A small web site will be on line soon !
You can write us at : vietnamwar.project@free.fr

Many thanks for your supports, and to all authors.

Best,

Jacques and Xavier

jmig
January 7th, 2010, 10:53
A BIG Serra Hotel Number one Buddy for your efforts.

On a different note. I scanned the ages of the posters her. I think I saw just a touch of gray, for those of us who still have hair, that is.

When did we become this old?

Paul K
January 7th, 2010, 10:59
i gotta admit, the very first thing i did was scan the list for Nha trang, and then got to wondering if they got the flight line correct. Will my barracks be there? Pie Slice? My gaurd post, Williams, Kube, Heinlein or studenarz? yeahh, it gets pretty neurotic.. Will the duster be on top of the hill near the arvn camp? Can i shine that big damned light up there down on my perimeter like they did one night during an attack??
yeah, reallly neurotic..

Pam, I wasn't aware you are a veteran of the American involvement. I know of you from the Iris forums, where I am Paul K too. I'm glad you came home, because the Vulcan is fabulous !

;)

MCDesigns
January 7th, 2010, 11:03
MCD, Xavier, Jacques.. I love you guys.. This is awesome.. I hate my own proclivities towards reliving old nightmares, but what you do is wonderful..
Pam

Pam, I can relate. I work with 2 Nam vets and the they tell of some very nightmarish events they had to endure while there. My scenery came out of a need to try and experience what it might be like being a huey driver, but no matter how much research or design I put into an FSX project, it will never come close to what the real deal must have been like. Thanks for your service!

CrisGer
January 7th, 2010, 11:22
This is fantastic to hear about, i had only found some decent Vietnam coverage for FS9, but not much for FSX, this is great to hear. I would love to see this, where is it availble?

falcon409
January 7th, 2010, 11:44
i gotta admit, the very first thing i did was scan the list for Nha trang, and then got to wondering if they got the flight line correct. Will my barracks be there? . . . . . . . . . .
Yea, I did the same thing. . .immediately started going down the list to see if Can Tho and Bin Thuy were there, also Bien Hoa and Ton Son Knut. Perimeter fighting every night, sitting up on our sand bag shelters watching the tracers going out over the barbed wire. Pickin' up a call from a Spooky on our AM/FM radios, callin' back to "Paddy Control" to get permission to fire on whoever was throwing recoiless rifle fire at us. . .oh yea:kilroy:

JimC1702
January 7th, 2010, 11:44
Sounds great! Now if we only had an FSX Phantom to fly.

Jim

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 11:49
Chopper pilots?? Oy Vay.. slicks or gunships doesnt matter.. Grunts got dropped off and had hell break out around them, choppers came in when hell was in full bloom, knowing full well what they were flying into.. How they could do it time and time again, i'll never know. Charlie got real good at landing mortar rounds inside the choppers you see.. Theyd wait till the bird began lifting off and then drop one in..
I myself, sat on the perimeter of what the army calls an R&R base.. Thats so they dont have to admit to the 8 times we took incoming mortars and rockets while i was there. All i did was wait for the next attack, or the next sniper round to come in.. Nothing heroic. a trained chimpanzee could have done my job.. Chopper pilots though? I love every damned one of them. They brought our guys home, or died trying..

Oddly enough, i cant be around hueys or rangers. i had nightmares every night that life flight went out when i first moved here till they changed over to eurocopters.. really weird..

I know you want to experience as close to what we did as possible, but, i hope you never do. The bottom line to vietnam is that only bodies came home. there were no survivors.. i wouldnt wish that on anyone..
:;huggss:;
Pam

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 12:05
Yea, I did the same thing. . .immediately started going down the list to see if Can Tho and Bin Thuy were there, also Bien Hoa and Ton Son Knut. Perimeter fighting every night, sitting up on our sand bag shelters watching the tracers going out over the barbed wire. Pickin' up a call from a Spooky on our AM/FM radios, callin' back to "Paddy Control" to get permission to fire on whoever was throwing recoiless rifle fire at us. . .oh yea:kilroy:

Oh gods, I love spooky and shadow.. When the dragons were flying, charlie was gone.. The NVA even had standing orders to not fire on the dragons. They didnt want to piss them off.. We had a couple shadows at nha trang ( ac-119s ) and a few A-37s a few providers, and lots of slicks..5th SF and Delta force operated out of there a lot too. so they were always going out and coming back in.. we had a hun try to make an emergency landing there once too.. it carreened through the wire at the end of the strip, turned a three quarter tone truck with five men in it into a three inch thick piece of scrap meta when it ran over it, and ended up in the sea..

We all used black lights in the barracks at night. you cant visually range in on a black light you see, or at least, that was the scuttlebutt. it was a very unreal year..
Guess i'm drifting.. I'm sorry.. forgive me please..
Pam

Mithrin
January 7th, 2010, 12:14
Looking forward to this quite a bit!

Crusader
January 7th, 2010, 12:29
SOH members and especially my Vietnan Vets brothers and sisters . I've been waiting for this for a long time . I have no doubt that this could actually be very therapuetic for alot us . It certainly will be for me . I too went down the list for Danang . I went to Chu Lai a few times and it is not on the list but my the bulk of my time was in Danang . Was very surprised they included Red Beach . This looks like an outstanding package and I am really looking forward to loading it up . Ickie you better think about starting a " Vietnam Old Geezers Forum " so we can unload and regrouphttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif .:salute:

Gentlemen , thank you both for all the hard work you put into this project . It is very much appreciated by all of us and I am positive it will be a big hit .

Rich (USMC-RVN67):guinness:

Matt Wynn
January 7th, 2010, 12:33
Looking forward to this... and to all of you Veterans, thank you, you are all brothers in arms to me, only places i've seen and done are... well you should know just judging by my age... it can't quite compare... so thank you, without you all soldiering wouldn't be where it is today...

back on track, should be a fun place to get the old kit running round in... shame there's no AC-47... love that old girl... come to think of it theres no AC-119 either for FSX... what the hecks going on there... charlie'll shoot at ya if you don't have one :icon_lol:

deimos256
January 7th, 2010, 12:47
Im looking forward to this just to able to put around in my c-130

modelr
January 7th, 2010, 12:51
Matt, there are many more Vietnam era AI aircraft available than what they have listed, so far. I hope they are able to use the Navy birds that flew off the carriers out of Tonkin Gulf, also. They do have the big outlying USAF bases listed, including Kadena, where I was. There are also most of the cargo birds available as well as B-52s and Hueys. MAIW has a fairly comprehensive, tho nowhere near complete list of available military AI aircraft available for others to use. There are also other groups doing more retro military AI aircraft. (MAIW preferes to do mostly current, at the time of release, or only recently past, packages.)

GypsyBaron
January 7th, 2010, 13:26
Having spent two 6-month TDY tours in '66 and '67 flying
out of Tan Sohn Nhut and DaNang with OASU/VX-8, I look
forward to this package as well!

Paul

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 13:27
personally, i'd love it if they had the TG yacht club in there.. That would totally rock..

jeansy
January 7th, 2010, 13:58
love to see some screen shots please

Crusader
January 12th, 2010, 06:13
Just preparing to "light up the country side" . I have no idea when it will be released but soon I hope . I have something to look for "Charlie"--Birddog ,
something to mark and disrupt and possibly take out a few---O2-A ,
and finally something to finish the job---Skyraider .

Can't wait ,

Rich

Vietnam War Project
January 12th, 2010, 09:16
We are pleased to announce that a large part of the project has been achieved over the week-end. You will discover the extent of it through
http:\\vietnamwar.project.free.fr

tracyq144
January 12th, 2010, 09:28
Sounds great! Now if we only had an FSX Phantom to fly.

Jim

Future A2A Phantom, when it comes out, should be outstanding.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19781

Crusader
January 12th, 2010, 09:38
We are pleased to announce that a large part of the project has been achieved over the week-end. You will discover the extent of it through
http:\\vietnamwar.project.free.fr

Thanks for the reply . Alot of anxious people here , me being one of them . We all appreciate all the time , hard work and expertise that is going into this .

Rich